Brees done with NOLA after playing days? (1 Viewer)

I understand what most have read in his comments, IG, Twitter, etc. I base my assumptions on what I have seen and action. If I am wrong forgive me. I see Drew and his family travel and spend time in San Diego . I read the comment about him saying the kids would grow up in San Diego but I think I have witnessed his kids growing up in NOLA. I also see his kids playing little league here. Don’t discount that Drew started a flag football league here that is very important to him. I’m not sure but I think his boys go to Newman? All of this stuff is, his kids growing up in NOLA. That is just what I see. Not to mention the Walk Ons and other investments he has made all in and around our state. Last big investment I heard was like this huge youth athletic like theme park under one roof kind of thing. I read something about indoor flag football fields, batting cages and other things for baseball, restaurants and everything under one roof. I’m pretty sure one of them is slated for Lafayette. My point is I like to base what Drew is doing off of what I see. He may say all those other things but what I see is his kids are currently growing up in NOLA. I guess that could change but as of now, that’s what I see.
his kids do go to Newman ...august thru some day in january or february
as soon as the season is done the family heads out to SD (and presumably into some school out there)

I’ve lived in both cities, albeit single in San Diego. Living in a city where Drew Brees’ pre teen age boys can get away with murder is probably not ideal for him. He most likely wants somehwere he is familiar with but can still blend in. Especially when it comes to his family. His boy Lance lives out there. Met him on a flight from SD to NO.
I’ve lived in both as well. But here drew and his family are demigods/royalty. In San Diego. All of his kids were born here and for their entire lives they have spent 75% of the year here. San Diego is great to visit but when u consider its stinking California no way. I would love to Florida and save 7% state income tax live in ft lauderdale. And plus the food here is 100x better than San Diego. Easy flight from Miami ;-)

I’ve lived in both as well. But here drew and his family are demigods/royalty. In San Diego. All of his kids were born here and for their entire lives they have spent 75% of the year here. San Diego is great to visit but when u consider its stinking California no way. I would love to Florida and save 7% state income tax live in ft lauderdale. And plus the food here is 100x better than San Diego. Easy flight from Miami ;-)

Can you explain what you mean by “stinking” California?

I’ve been pretty much expecting this for a while. They consider San Diego home and that’s ok.

As I appreciate it, they are basically only in New Orleans during football season, so they have been living a majority in California for many, many years.

It makes sense. Drew is really active year round, the kids are active year round. It probably all boils down to climate and then throw the beach into the mix and it seems like a logical choice.

It’s kind of funny having just watched the 2006 falcons game and having heard the announcers talking up how he bought a house and wants the city to know that he’s going to be around...and now it’s like.... he’s going to be around...only during football season.

Drew is in transition mode and is probably right on script that he penciled down years ago. He is squeezing in one last year of football then off to San Diego to raise his kids in a better environment. Will be interesting to see if he divest of real estate and business holdings in NO.

Anyone who has been to San Diego would understand. The best weather (in any city) that I’ve ever seen, imho

All I ever hear is SoCal has perfect weather year round. I was down there for the first time late Feb-early March and it was cold and windy. It was actually colder there than it was here.

Came across this old article that was a little depressing to read: https://fox5sandiego.com/sports/nfl-great-drew-brees-has-big-goals-for-local-youth-soccer/

The line that really got to me was "San Diego will be home when I'm done playing and our kids will go to school here, they'll grow up here," Brees said." Always thought he would stick around here afterwards, especially with all the investments he made here. Oh well!
Ummm, San Diego is one of most beautiful spots in the U.S. He should just keep 2 homes though. Can't leave us forever. LOL

San Diego's beautiful weather and gorgeous country side vs New Orleans perpetual hurricane watch and shirt smelly streets?... hmm which would you choose?

In reality, when you’re as rich as Brees, you can be happy anywhere. He’ll most likely keep houses in both NO and SD

I have no idea how his wife feels about the city. But New Orleans is an intensely insular and parochial city. As an older city with a large underclass, it has more than its share of social pathology with high crime rates, low educational levels, and high poverty, unemployment and underemployment levels, as well as high infrastructure demands. And then there is the subtropical climate and hurricane concerns.

Anecdotally, upper middle-class women who are not from the city and who have young children prefer living elsewhere. Keep in mind that Payton's wife living in St. Tammany Parish, as soon as her marital issues became known, immediately left Louisiana to return to the Dallas area, though the children were still in school. If you are from the New Orleans area, it is a hard place to leave or not to miss if you leave. But if you are originally not from the area, it can be a hard place to adjust to and to want to belong to. In the 1960s, New Orleans was known as "America's most interesting city." The description "interesting" is not always positive.

Certainly, if Brees has an interest in NFL management or politics, he may retain his connections to the city. Otherwise, he is so wealthy that he can live nearly anywhere in the world he wants. San Diego, with its incredible weather, is a good choice. (And Drew is very wealthy, but he is not hedge-fund or Saudi-oil rich. He would feel it if he had to pay $40 million for a residence in Manhattan.)

Last edited:
All I ever hear is SoCal has perfect weather year round. I was down there for the first time late Feb-early March and it was cold and windy. It was actually colder there than it was here.
There is a "wet" season and a "dry" season. The time you came it was during the wet season and when the breeze comes off the pacific, it can feel pretty cold. But we never get those arctic cold fronts that drop the temps into the 20s at night. That rarely happens. Trust me, the weather is as good as it gets here. During Jul and August when you're under that blanket of humidity in NOLA, over here its like 80 maybe 85 degrees with an ocean breeze. Trust me, its nice.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom