Brees done with NOLA after playing days? (1 Viewer)

Could be that living there affords the family a greater sense of normalcy in the next phase of life. He's a huge celebrity in Louisiana, and that's probably harder to escape than in a place like southern California, where he might feel they can integrate a little more peacefully into everyday life.

I don’t blame him cause San Diego ranks up there with the places I would want to live the most if I could afford it. I been there and it’s a great place with great weather. The schools are likely better for his kids as well. Hopefully he keeps his place here cause I’m sure he will be in NOLA a ton as well.

Drew is in transition mode and is probably right on script that he penciled down years ago. He is squeezing in one last year of football then off to San Diego to raise his kids in a better environment. Will be interesting to see if he divest of real estate and business holdings in NO.

I agree completely. Drew is nothing if not an obsessive planner. He probably has his phone set to text him a reminder every three months to replace the toothbrushes in his house. ("Dental health is one of the more overlooked, but essential, aspects of a good hygiene routine."). It is crazy to think that he wouldn't have had his post-football script mostly written out years ago.

I would guess that it makes some sense to keep a real-estate/business foothold in New Orleans, simply because he has so much goodwill built up there. I don't see him expanding it, but I can see him paring it down a bit while "keeping a toe in the water."

I have no idea how his wife feels about the city. But New Orleans is an intensely insular and parochial city. As an older city with a large underclass, it has more than its share of social pathology with high crime rates, low educational levels, and high poverty, unemployment and underemployment levels, as well as high infrastructure demands. And then there is the subtropical climate and hurricane concerns.

Anecdotally, upper middle-class women who are not from the city and who have young children prefer living elsewhere. Keep in mind that Payton's wife living in St. Tammany Parish, as soon as her marital issues became known, immediately left Louisiana to return to the Dallas area, though the children were still in school. If you are from the New Orleans area, it is a hard place to leave or not to miss if you leave. But if you are originally not from the area, it can be a hard place to adjust to and to want to belong to. In the 1960s, New Orleans was known as "America's most interesting city." The description "interesting" is not always positive.

Certainly, if Brees has an interest in NFL management or politics, he may retain his connections to the city. Otherwise, he is so wealthy that he can live nearly anywhere in the world he wants. San Diego, with his incredible weather, is a good choice. And Drew is very wealthy, but he is not hedge-fund or Saudi-oil rich. He would feel it if he had to pay $40 million for a residence in Manhattan.

This legitimately could not have been said better.

It’s kind of funny having just watched the 2006 falcons game and having heard the announcers talking up how he bought a house and wants the city to know that he’s going to be around...and now it’s like.... he’s going to be around...only during football season.
This

As a San Diego resident myself, it’s a pretty awesome place to live. People love Drew here, it’s been very common for former Charger fans here to semi root for the Saints as a second team.

Living out in the west. I love it out here. You can't beat the weather and I live in Arizona.

I've been to San Diego and Santa Monica to have it sunny and 75 degrees all the time, it's something that's hard to beat.

San Diego's beautiful weather and gorgeous country side vs New Orleans perpetual hurricane watch and shirt smelly streets?... hmm which would you choose?
Well, it does make sense. He never completely cut ties with San Diego and "fell in love with her first". You know first loves...

New Orleans is great but not for everyone if you weren't born there. I could go back if I could keep my job and salary but it's not an easy transition for someone who didn't grow up with all that goes with living in New Orleans, positives and negatives.

So, I don't take it personally. I get it...

Living out in the west. I love it out here. You can't beat the weather and I live in Arizona.

I've been to San Diego and Santa Monica to have it sunny and 75 degrees all the time, it's something that's hard to beat.

it wasn’t sunny and 75 when I was in Santa Monica last month. I don’t remember the temp but it was March 8th and everyone had a jacket or hoodie on.

Attachments

• 8B07B68F-036F-4EF4-8188-C8B4132574A7.jpeg
    8B07B68F-036F-4EF4-8188-C8B4132574A7.jpeg
    709 KB · Views: 8
  • D382C1A7-0FCA-45A6-847D-612A1E13B8B4.jpeg
    D382C1A7-0FCA-45A6-847D-612A1E13B8B4.jpeg
    436 KB · Views: 8
If you are from the New Orleans area, it is a hard place to leave or not to miss if you leave.

After years of extensive traveling for work, I joked with my boss that I was ready to go where he wanted me. Within a month or two, he promoted me and asked me to move.

Leaving was hard. Real hard. Prior to traveling for work (I've done work in 41 of the 50 US states and continue to do so in about 15 now) you would have never convinced me to leave New Orleans, but seeing and experiencing other options opened that door for me, and I have no regrets passing through it.

As time passed, it was more about family than place. Don't get me wrong, I miss going to live Saints games 10 times (sometimes more) per year. I miss the food. Of course I miss my family. Thats what it's really about. I can't say I miss New Orleans, because I get to come back as much as I want. I'm still a season ticket holder too. I do miss the ability to see my family daily though.

I love where I live now. It's a better fit for me as an individual and us as a family. It provided better schools for my youngest. Now that he's an adult, it provided better professional options too. He was able to jump straight in to the work force earning really good money.

Where you choose to live doesn't stop you from still being part of where you are from or have spent a lot of time. Thats how it will be for Drew. He'll come back, and I'm sure he'll do so fairly often. Its not like he will have to fly commercial either. Travel is easy for people in his tax bracket. He can go wherever he wants, whenever he wants, easily.

I can understand that. I guess I just stopped having my love for the NOLA area after living out of state for several years and coming back a few years ago to feel like a stranger in my own hometown. Things just felt very different than how they were before I left. When you live in a town continuously, the changes are hard to detect but when you're gone for 6 years, those changes punch you right in the face. Things just seem cold and antisocial round here these days and it's been a long time since I've had a pleasant random conversation with a stranger. Maybe that's more a casualty of societal decay than NOLA going to shirt, though, so it's hard to tell for sure.

It’s called the corona virus!

?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom