Brees done with NOLA after playing days? (1 Viewer)

If Brees decides to move, that is obviously his business. If he moved a crorate office, like Ruth's Chris, Smoothie King or Cane's Chicken, I would be upset.

A consideration with business relocation is proximity to major airports and direct flights. This might be a factor if Brees will be doing network sports.

Last edited:
San Diego is as close to the perfect place to live as any place in America. I lived out there (So. Orange County) for 18 years. But I did come back. New Orleans so screwed up in so many ways but what can I say? It's home and there's a lot to love.

If Brees decides to move, that is obviously his business. If he moved a crorate office, like Ruth's Chris, Smoothie King or Cane's Chicken, I would be upset.

A consideration with business relocation is proximity to major airports and direct flights. This might be a factor if Brees will be doing network sports.
Flying into S.D. is scary! They come over those mountains and do a frikking nose dive to land.

It would be interesting to see a statistical study of how many former professional players make the city where they played professionally home. But many players do not leave because of the business opportunities available to them.

The irony is that because Brees has made so much money while playing in New Orleans with his football compensation, advertising contracts and business ventures, he does not need financially to stay in New Orleans. Not every player plays for nearly 20 years and makes 25 million per year just from football. And we now know that Brees presumably next year will be broadcasting for NBC.

Unless you’re from here, why would you stay? It’s an abusive relationship.

Dont know if you've checked around lately, but NOLA has an influx of transplants from other places. Many of the ones I know have been here for a minimum 10 years. Including a few from California. Now most of these folks have old family money for support so I guess that plays a part.

Regardless if you're from the area, its just a type of place that attracts some folks while others despise it.

his kids do go to Newman ...august thru some day in january or february
as soon as the season is done the family heads out to SD (and presumably into some school out there)
I don’t know a ton about this situation. I noticed that Drew only has a short time during the year to spend time with his kids. When they leave NO in February they start traveling so it’s not really like the kids are growing up there. I’m not sure but I don’t think they actually go to a school every day. Again I could be wrong. My main point is that a lot of people in this thread keep saying the kids are going to grow up in SD. I’m saying the kids are and have been growing up here. They play little league here and go to school here. When I think about growing up, I think about little league and school. It’s also very hard to move children when they have their roots firmly planted. I guess rubber will meet the road when and if they start playing HS ball here. I want to reiterate that I could be totally wrong but that is just my limited take on the issue.

Drew is in transition mode and is probably right on script that he penciled down years ago. He is squeezing in one last year of football then off to San Diego to raise his kids in a better environment. Will be interesting to see if he divest of real estate and business holdings in NO.
Why would he go about buying all these businesses and getting them going just to immediately sell? Seems like he would not have started all this just to haul arse. To me it seems like he is doing all this business stuff so he has something to do when retired. If I was going to move to SD so quickly, I would have started all this stuff there and not NOLA.

It seems there are three reasons that professional athletes remain after retirement in the city where they played. First, they just like it. Second, the business opportunities available because of who they are. Third, they don't want to move the kids who are settled in school.

Regarding the second and Brees, I have no idea how many local businesses he has a major ownership interest in. But it is possible that he has reduced his interest in recent years. And the guy's financial assets don't consist of 10 million in stocks and mutual funds, and a restaurant or car dealership. He might have a net worth of 200 to 300 million dollars.

Last edited:
If I had hedge-fund money, two places where I would have homes are New York and London. I love Chicago, but New York wins out because of the theater. And California and other places in the country are areas where you can reinvent yourself. In New Orleans, your status and identity are to some extent fixed. I once read that New Orleans is like a symphony orchestra. If you are in the string section, you can go to the top of that section. But don't think about moving to the horn section.
One of the many things that I enjoy the most about SR, is the variety of opinions & ideas.

I don’t know a ton about this situation. I noticed that Drew only has a short time during the year to spend time with his kids. When they leave NO in February they start traveling so it’s not really like the kids are growing up there. I’m not sure but I don’t think they actually go to a school every day. Again I could be wrong. My main point is that a lot of people in this thread keep saying the kids are going to grow up in SD. I’m saying the kids are and have been growing up here. They play little league here and go to school here. When I think about growing up, I think about little league and school. It’s also very hard to move children when they have their roots firmly planted. I guess rubber will meet the road when and if they start playing HS ball here. I want to reiterate that I could be totally wrong but that is just my limited take on the issue.

They are and have been; technically, growing up in both places since they were born.

Last edited:
His tax home will be Louisiana. He will spend most of his time in California. He will always be loyal to New Orleans. I'd spend the hot months and cold months in San Diego also.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom