Brees film study, feel a little better (1 Viewer)

Billgluckman

Veteran Starter
Reaction score

I still don’t think it’s debatable that his arm isn’t what it used to be, but it’s been that way for a couple years now (at least). What’s worried me this year are the inaccurate shorter throws. Looks like a lot of the blame is on the receivers.

My faith isnt completely restored in drew but if the routes are ran correctly and the defense doesn’t go all 2015 again this team can still win some games.

My approach to this season with Drew has always been “wait and see”. That would not be any different if he had lit up the air in games one and two because we would have to see if it can last the full season. But there wasn’t a better option out there this year IMO opinion unless we wanted to say we were not going for championship this year and rebuild is better option. I don’t think many of us wanted that just yet.

so is thia rust or is it age? At this part of the season it’s more likely rust but wait and see for me.

if he turns it around can it last, wait and see.

how does he respond to criticism, wait and see.

Exactly why I’m not too concerned. This performance was not all Drew. You could see during the game that he was a bit frustrated with his receivers bc they were making mistakes and the Raiders did a really good job on defense. They were damn near flawless in their zone coverage and they got good pressure up front. Especially Crosby

Watching that video reminds me that all the negative Brees talk is a classic case of, "You THINK you know, but you really, don't, know."
And that phrase can be applied to a LOT of Drew Brees naysayers right now.

I also get the sense he’s iffy on Peat and trusts Easton even less - partly why he’s not climbing the pocket like he used to

I share that sentiment. Which doesn't bode well for the next 14+ games. When DB9 came out of the huddle, squatted under center and called cadence, he scanned the defense with a look in eyes that said "who's my birch, where's my birch....ahhhh, THERE he is"; that look in eyes now appears to be "where's the pressure coming from". A completely different mindset.

All we can do is hope we're wrong...or for the line to gel and restore his confidence in the pocket.

I also get the sense he’s iffy on Peat and trusts Easton even less - partly why he’s not climbing the pocket like he used to

it is an interesting thought. But it begs some questions. I’m not going to suggest that Drew has too much power in the organization but I’m private conversations between Drew and Sean you would think lineman play comes up. Ifhe didn’t have faith in him wouldn’t it seem that would be given some weight before a contract of that size was put on the table. Or maybe Drew has confidence in him sometimes?

at any rate, line play is a critical factor.You can’t put it all on them but when you watch replays of Drew’s worst games, there is usually some fairly critical breaching going on.

The problem is that Brees wasn’t good enough LAST YEAR. His limitations were the primary reason the Saints lost to the Vikings. Sure the guards weren’t good...but here we are with Easton and Peat starting. So there is very little reason to think that this team will be better with a year older Brees. Sorry.

Exactly why I’m not too concerned. This performance was not all Drew. You could see during the game that he was a bit frustrated with his receivers bc they were making mistakes and the Raiders did a really good job on defense. They were damn near flawless in their zone coverage and they got good pressure up front. Especially Crosby

Agree with this it wasn’t all on drew. I think a Prime drew could have hit on a few shots that this drew didn’t even take. But with that said I think the goal is for drew to play the ultimate game manager and don’t turn it over so don’t take the risk.

There is another short film study I watched where a receiver was wide open on the left side line and drew checked the ball down to the rb. That play concerns me a little because I think it’s pretty telling, but again this team can still win if the receivers can do their job correctly. No preseason has definitely impacted this team.

Watching that video reminds me that all the negative Brees talk is a classic case of, "You THINK you know, but you really, don't, know."
And that phrase can be applied to a LOT of Drew Brees naysayers right now.

I still feel his arm is limiting, but that can’t be changed. I don’t think Winston is a better option, especially since he doesn’t know the playbook, and I think taysom has the potential to be a turnover machine as well. Especially in his first season. Brees is the best option at this time.

The problem is that Brees wasn’t good enough LAST YEAR. His limitations were the primary reason the Saints lost to the Vikings. Sure the guards weren’t good...but here we are with Easton and Peat starting. So there is very little reason to think that this team will be better with a year older Brees. Sorry.

I also agree with this and this is why I say the saints will not win a Super Bowl. Notice in the original post I said this team can win some games, not superbowl.

His arm is limiting the team. No doubt in my mind. But with no preseason I think a qb switch would be ugly(plus drew would never get benched)

The first 2 games Drew has been harassed badly. The O-lines poor play has forced Brees to release the ball quicker than he wants to. This forces him to throw short passes to avoid getting sacked. Ive heard commentators lament that Drew's lack of mobility is hurting him. He still looks plenty quick of foot and can roll.

I mentioned this in another post. As a former qb, coach and trainer (hs, college and semi-pro into my 40s) here is my take. Drew did a LOT of work in the off season to gain strength and get more power in his throws. I have seen more zip on the ball these 2 games, especially against Bucs, than I have seen over the last few years. The inaccuracy is probably due to those changes. He would definitely have to adjust his mechanics to compensate for whatever was changed, even if a tiny bit. Your muscle memory in game time goes back to the old way. There was not any real game time reps. He is adjusting. With myself having times away from playing and returning with varying degrees of strength or muscle balance, I would have to alter my mechanics each time. Mix in sloppy routes, playcalling and no true preseason and true game time reps, there is a lot causing our offensive woes.

Exactly how many more "wait & sees" to we give out to Drew? Because of his lack of strength and decision-making, he's getting the WR (incl RB, TE) corps taking hits they shouldn't. If the o-line can't give him the 30 seconds he needs, then put someone in there with legs. I'm not opposed to having Drew be your football messiah, but I am opposed to all the excuses we give this guy. Personally, I hope I'm wrong about this and Drew shakes it off and we're back to quality Saints football, but I'm not holding my breaf.

I mentioned this in another post. As a former qb, coach and trainer (hs, college and semi-pro into my 40s) here is my take. Drew did a LOT of work in the off season to gain strength and get more power in his throws. I have seen more zip on the ball these 2 games, especially against Bucs, than I have seen over the last few years. The inaccuracy is probably due to those changes. He would definitely have to adjust his mechanics to compensate for whatever was changed, even if a tiny bit. Your muscle memory in game time goes back to the old way. There was not any real game time reps. He is adjusting. With myself having times away from playing and returning with varying degrees of strength or muscle balance, I would have to alter my mechanics each time. Mix in sloppy routes, playcalling and no true preseason and true game time reps, there is a lot causing our offensive woes.

I’ve also mentioned that he has probably altered his throwing mechanics. As someone who’s very much into health and fitness, I can’t see anyway that a 40 year old naturally improves his throwing “strength”. The only way I can see him improving his zip/range is by adjusting his mechanics.

I say let the man get some “help”. A little testosterone and hgh never hurt nobody....wouldn't it be hilarious if he came back from the off season jacked and slinging the ball 60 yards.:biglol:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom