Brees Gives Endorsement to Austin Carr (1 Viewer)

To be fair, this is year 3 for Carr, and we're talking about deep depth at WR which is more where we keep our core special teamers.
For most NFL WRs, it takes 3 years to really learn the offense, so--as I think you are suggesting--Carr's experience among a relatively young position group could be the deciding factor on keeping him on the roster, especially if some of the younger players can be stashed away on the practice squad.

I just don't see it. Has he been tearing it up in practice or something? I think there are several WRs with much more potential we should be keeping over Carr.
We have been looking for a slot receiver for 3 years.

Yea he’d never say anything bad about any of his guys, so take this with a grain of salt. Can’t keep all of them, and it’s likely we’ll have to let some talented fan favorites go

For most NFL WRs, it takes 3 years to really learn the offense, so--as I think you are suggesting--Carr's experience among a relatively young position group could be the deciding factor on keeping him on the roster, especially if some of the younger players can be stashed away on the practice squad.

I think that if our WR group ends up being:

Thomas
Smith
Ginn
Kirkwood
Carr
Harris (RS only)

Then that will be all the proof we need that knowing the playbook and special teams value trump potential in our coach's mind.

Last edited:
Correct, but you also don't win games on lack of potential along with lack of production.

Carr has done essentially nothing as a Saint and we heard this same kind of praise last offseason.

And dont forget how quockly he disappeared after Kirkwood was promoted from the PS

I have to take back something I said earlier in this (and other threads). I've been giving Austin Carr "special teams value".

Well, I just went and looked at the Saints 2018 snap counts and he only played ONE play on special teams.
243 snaps on offense though.

I guess should have done my homework before making those statements.

Again, the key thing here that Brees was asked a direct question about Carr.

I wouldn’t expect anything else but some nice compliments. He would’ve done the same thing for any WR, IMO. Not sure if it means anything as far as his place on the team.

I think he’s being truthful, even a player who is on the bottom of the roster during preseason is still a good player or good athelete. It’s just there are only a few spots and they might need to cut someone who they like

for Drew to say something bad about you, you have to be worse than hitler. He is the ultimate professional. Always talking his teammates up. Heck, even Manning talked about his "idiot kicker". I think Drew wants Carr to become his new Lance Moore. No one spectacular but steady and dependable. Not sure if he is there yet. And there is still that final roster cut down at the end of the preseason. we might pick up a vet receiver then.

Again, the key thing here that Brees was asked a direct question about Carr.

I wouldn’t expect anything else but some nice compliments. He would’ve done the same thing for any WR, IMO. Not sure if it means anything as far as his place on the team.

Lol, Brees: "Carr? Absolute garbage. He is an awful person, and an even worse player. The guy makes me physically ill."

I have never heard Brees speak ill of anybody, especially a teammate. The author basically created that story out of a nonsense, throw-away question. Otherwise, Brees would stand there and "endorse" every player on the team.

Actually Fujita had atheletic ability, you forget the play when he out ran Vickto the sideline just the play before Gleason's infamous block.

Indeed. Those two didn't stick around for several seasons for nothing.

I was referring to how Carr's status is trending toward being a guy who's too fundamentally sound to be beaten out, despite having already reached his ceiling.

Correct, but you also don't win games on lack of potential along with lack of production.

Carr has done essentially nothing as a Saint and we heard this same kind of praise last offseason.
This.

Carr has essentially been invisible since arriving here. Some players may produce in camp but in games that matter he hasn’t been productive. I’m personally over the Austin Carr experiment and wouldn’t be upset if we moved on.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom