Brees has a 99.8 QB rating and 66.9 completion % all-time in Playoffs. (1 Viewer)

When you watch Mahomes and Brees play, is there a single part of you that would honestly rather have Brees as our QB?

Conversely, if you’re a defense, which QB would you rather face?

PFF is incredibly flawed in this respect. It can’t properly quantify the deficiencies in Brees‘ game at this point in his career vs. the impact Mahomes has on how an entire defense prepares for him.

All I know is that Brees does what he does without the holy trifecta of Hill, Kelce, and Watkins Just like people rarely bring up that Manning played with 3 HOFers for most of his career on Offense in Harrison, Wayne and James.

Brees has topped Mahomes in QB Rating and Completion percentage both years that Mahomes has started and its not just dink and dunk either.

Look at this PFF study breakdown

He was the only QB mentioned in all three throwing ranges as a top QB in 2018.

"The winner of PFF's top passer award, it comes as no surprise to see that Drew Brees is the only signal-caller whose name appears three times in this study. Brees earned an accurate designation on 73.8% on his short pass attempts last year, and 19.6% of those throws earned the “accuracy plus” tag"

All I know is that Brees does what he does without the holy trifecta of Hill, Kelce, and Watkins Just like people rarely bring up that Manning played with 3 HOFers for most of his career on Offense in Harrison, Wayne and James.

Brees has topped Mahomes in QB Rating and Completion percentage both years that Mahomes has started and its not just dink and dunk either.

Look at this PFF study breakdown

He was the only QB mentioned in all three throwing ranges as a top QB in 2018.

"The winner of PFF's top passer award, it comes as no surprise to see that Drew Brees is the only signal-caller whose name appears three times in this study. Brees earned an accurate designation on 73.8% on his short pass attempts last year, and 19.6% of those throws earned the “accuracy plus” tag"

How do we know that those players would be THAT good with any other QB?

Watkins has bounced around his entire career. Kelce had, by far, his two best years with Mahomes. And Hill’s potential is unlocked because Mahomes can hit him anywhere on the field.

And I’m not debating what PFF says. I’m saying PFF can’t properly quantify these kinds of things.

There isn't a single GM in the NFL who would take Brees over Mahomes at this point. Not even for a single season. Brees was also four years older with five more NFL seasons under his belt when he went to his Super Bowl. Mahomes was clearly overwhelmed by the moment early in the game, but got it together and won the game. I'd bet a significant amount of money that he performs better the next time he's there.

This is a bad look. Brees is a top five QB of all time but he's not better than Mahomes right now. It's not even close.

I’ll add a real-world hypothetical to explain why PFF is flawed here.

Let’s say both the Chiefs and Saints were to get sacked for a 8 yard loss on first down.

On 2nd and 18, opposing defenses each run zone to prevent a big play and bring up 3rd down.

Brees throws a dime to Cook, who has settled in a hole in the zone for 10 yards.

Mahomes throws a similar dime to Kelce. Only the zone had to be extended, so the hole Kelce found in the zone was 15 yards away.

The Chiefs now face a very manageable 3rd and 3 while the Saints face a 3rd and 8.

PFF would likely grade both these plays the same. They were both correct reads and good throws. But the difference lies in how Mahomes (and other strong-armed QBs) stress a defense.

The legend of Drew Bress, time to move on my friends. It's all about Pat, Deshaun, and Lamar now. I'm not disrespecting Drew but it's time pass the torch and hope we can find someone to compete with the new young guns. FYI I don't think anyone in our buiding can compete with those 3 at QB, right now.

I'll take the wins over excellent QB stats every time.
So, the best record, over the last 3 years, has no indication of being of important in your statement? When the stats are added, there has been NO QB better over the last 3 years. THE most accurate in history @! 40 yrs old having & consistently re-set that record.

We just need to recognize that @ QB the "best" is due to total team performance NOT the INDIVIDUAL POSITION PLAY. Every other position, the "goat" is determined by individual effort, just NOT QB. No one cares that Rice had Montana/Young for most of his career. Nobody cares that Emmit had a herd of cattle on the OL. The ghost of Peyton past won his 2nd ring, nobody cares about Osweiller or the D carrying him.
If rings are the final determining factor, choose between Montana & Bradshaw. Both were 4-0 in the big game, Montana won 2 in a row once; Bradshaw won 2 in a row twice. Eli won more than Rodgers, Farve, Young & Mahommes(both times beating Brady), he MUST be better!

Almost like Brees had to play in Canada w/only 3 downs & everybody else got 4.

So, the best record, over the last 3 years, has no indication of being of important in your statement? When the stats are added, there has been NO QB better over the last 3 years. THE most accurate in history @! 40 yrs old having & consistently re-set that record.

We just need to recognize that @ QB the "best" is due to total team performance NOT the INDIVIDUAL POSITION PLAY. Every other position, the "goat" is determined by individual effort, just NOT QB. No one cares that Rice had Montana/Young for most of his career. Nobody cares that Emmit had a herd of cattle on the OL. The ghost of Peyton past won his 2nd ring, nobody cares about Osweiller or the D carrying him.
If rings are the final determining factor, choose between Montana & Bradshaw. Both were 4-0 in the big game, Montana won 2 in a row once; Bradshaw won 2 in a row twice. Eli won more than Rodgers, Farve, Young & Mahommes(both times beating Brady), he MUST be better!

You make some good points bu you lost me at the end. 6-9 rings beats Montana and Bradshaw, so Brady wins the ring discussion.Mahommes is just getting started, so I'm not sure what you meant there. Yes, we have a great record over the past 3 years but no SB appearance or victory makes that stat hollow. I din't doubt that Drew still has some left in his tank but he isn't going to get better at 41. We are an offensive led team and if Drew can't get us over the hump than what's the point of keeping at this juncture?

The voice of reason.

Where were you hiding? ?

Preach.

Thank you for proving my point. Over the last 3 years we have nothing to show for it other than Brees with some personal records. How do that benefit the franchise. Brees is an outstanding person with good character but give me KC, NE & Philly over the last 3 years. Give me team success over personal stats.

I compared Bradshaw to Montana, NOT Brady.

Mahommes has exactly the same # of rings & he's already being talked about as being the best FB player ever.

The reply was to the quote that,"I'll take wins over stats any day".

You think Brees can't get better @ 41, yet he DESTROYED records & set personal bests @ 40?

The D has NEVER affected the outcome of Saints games. Other than the 40+ games Brees brought us back in the 4thQ only to watch from the sidelines as the D imploded (reg &post season). Yep, you're right, he has such a hard getting the team over the hump.

Compare HIS PLAY (not the team) & how many teams would KILL to have a QB put together a season like Brees did? If Brady played last year as well as Brees did, the PATS would have hoisted another trophy.

3 straight divisions is just a participation trophy made to get Brees more stats?

Last edited:
Thank you for proving my point. Over the last 3 years we have nothing to show for it other than Brees with some personal records. How do that benefit the franchise. Brees is an outstanding person with good character but give me KC, NE & Philly over the last 3 years. Give me team success over personal stats.
The ONLY thing I "proved"is that you have a double standard by saying wins are more important than stats. Brees has had BOTH.
So, which is it?
The ONLY comment you made said NOTHING about Championships. Care to re evaluate, or does the standard change to suit your take?
You can definitely take any other team over the Saints, they all have their own websites.

I compared Bradshaw to Montana, NOT Brady.

Mahommes has exactly the same # of rings & he's already being talked about as being the best FB player ever.

The reply was to the quote that,"I'll take wins over stats any day".

You think Brees can't get better @ 41, yet he DESTROYED records & set personal bests @ 40?

The D has NEVER affected the outcome of Saints games. Other than the 40+ games Brees brought us back in the 4thQ only to watch from the sidelines as the D imploded (reg &post season). Yep, you're right, he has such a hard getting the team over the hump.

Compare HIS PLAY (not the team) & how many teams would KILL to have a QB put together a season like Brees did? If Brady played last year as well as Brees did, the PATS would have hoisted another trophy.
What records did he destroy? Are you talking about the best completion percentage in the game because the TD record was cumulative? He had a respectable season for TDs and yardage considering he missed 5 games. You either jealous or confused by the hyperbole surrounding Mahommes because no one crowned him the best ever at this point but a lot of people look at his age and say he has that type of potential.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom