Brees has been QB for the Saints since... (1 Viewer)

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I've been married - 14 years married, 2 kids one just became a teenager - and Brees was QB during all of that

saw a twitter post saying Drew was the QB since the poster was 15 (and is now 30) - for whatever reason that put it in perspective. imagining how much someone's life changes from teens to 30s. and Drew was there the whole time

We’ve got to keep things in perspective. On the national level of course Brees won’t get his due. He doesn’t have the national legacy of Tom Brady. He’s not going to be considered the greatest QB of all time.

But who cares? He’s worth so much more than accolades as a sports figure to me, to Saints fans, and those from the New Orleans area. He helped save our franchise against odds. He save us something to unite behind. He gave us hope. He has done more for the Saints franchise than any QB did for their franchise in NFL history. Frankly, in that regard he may have done more for any individual franchise than any athlete...perhaps except Babe Ruth and Michael Jordan. That’s his legacy. The Super Bowl and stats are just lagniappe.

We’ve got to keep things in perspective. On the national level of course Brees won’t get his due. He doesn’t have the national legacy of Tom Brady. He’s not going to be considered the greatest QB of all time.

But who cares? He’s worth so much more than accolades as a sports figure to me, to Saints fans, and those from the New Orleans area. He helped save our franchise against odds. He save us something to unite behind. He gave us hope. He has done more for the Saints franchise than any QB did for their franchise in NFL history. Frankly, in that regard he may have done more for any individual franchise than any athlete...perhaps except Babe Ruth and Michael Jordan. That’s his legacy. The Super Bowl and stats are just lagniappe.
that's an excellent way to think about it
at the beginning of '06, there was no way to have any foresight or perspective bc it was just about day to day survival
just having the saints in new orleans was about the upper limit of what any of us could ask for
and for drew to revitalize the team and by extension the city while doing the same to himself, and then proceeding to be one of the dominant teams of that next era
who could have asked for more?

My son turned 21 in December. He's been to almost every home game since he was 5. He was with me for both NFC Championship games in the Dome. I've taken him to games in Dallas, Baltimore, and Atlanta. He claims to have some memories of Aaron Brooks, which is possible. I took him to the games in Baton Rouge and one in San Antonio during the Katrina year, which he remembers. But for the most part, he's grown up with Drew at the helm of the Saints. Can you imagine if that was pretty much your entire life with the Saints?

My son just turned 20, so much like SaintRob's son, Brees has been the face of the Saints basically since he can remember being a fan. He was very down last week when we lost because he knows this is the end for Drew, and really wanted him to be able to end his career with another Lombardi. I think maybe he sees Brees' retirement as sort of the end of his childhood. It's definitely a passage for him, and it certainly hurt him some that it ended with disappointment instead of going out on a high note.

It really is astonishing how an entire generation has only known life with Drew. People who started kindergarten in 2006-2007 graduated high school with Drew Brees being the Saints QB the entire time. All the people born in the mid to late 00s, they only know the Saints as being a relevant team. A perennial contender.

I'm curious to see how these fans will react when maybe the Saints aren't so great. It will be hard on those who didn't live through Ditka. Or late Mora when he started phoning it in. Or Haslett's last year.

I've been married - 14 years married, 2 kids one just became a teenager - and Brees was QB during all of that

saw a twitter post saying Drew was the QB since the poster was 15 (and is now 30) - for whatever reason that put it in perspective. imagining how much someone's life changes from teens to 30s. and Drew was there the whole time

Dang whippersnappers just don't know how good they got it!!!!

But who cares? He’s worth so much more than accolades as a sports figure to me, to Saints fans, and those from the New Orleans area.

Perhaps even too much so....as his retirement may leave a forlorn pit in the stomachs of those whom have relished in his success. As odd as it may be, I find myself in a mild melancholy shade of blue even though the days ahead are less likely to be as drought of wins as some of the days of my past that I was once welcome to endure.

Perhaps even too much so....as his retirement may leave a forlorn pit in the stomachs of those whom have relished in his success. As odd as it may be, I find myself in a mild melancholy shade of blue even though the days ahead are less likely to be as drought of wins as some of the days of my past that I was once welcome to endure.

Before the playoffs started I told my wife that this postseason means so much more than just a Superbowl. I told her it was the end of an era with Saints fans and for a man we all admire and were very fortunate to have watched these past 15 seasons. And for those who were there long before Drew...we know what pre-Drew was like. There was definitely some smoke in my eyes after the Bucs loss.

Very well said.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom