Brees: I know I can still play. (1 Viewer)

Him and Brady are determined to get their aarp cards before they retire. 3-4 years let get serious.

Also. This team won’t win a championship paying Brees top tier money, paying top dollar for Teddy to be a back up, and paying everyone who needs to be paid.

Money does not grow on trees and we’ve been mortgaging our future awhile now.

Brees will need to take less money on a team friendly deal.

Teddy will have to turn down significantly better deals if he wants to stay

And other dudes will need to restructure

lol get ready for 3000 different explanations/interpretations of what "on my own terms" means

I don't really think it's that complicated.

He wants to be the one to decide when it's time to hang it up. Not when a team decides for him, or some idiotic fans on a forum who have produced some of the most unintelligent "takes" over the last five days that I've seen in over a decade of reading this forum, such as indicating that we are better off with Taysom Hill as a starting quarterback than Brees heading into 2020.

What a difference one game makes

On Saturday Drew was the best QB of all time playing the best football of his career (we howled in outrage over him not being in the top 100)

On Monday morning he was washed up and needs to hang them up

What a difference one game makes

On Saturday Drew was the best QB of all time playing the best football of his career (we howled in outrage over him not being in the top 100)

On Monday morning he was washed up and needs to hang them up
Absolutely ridiculous how fickle fans get.

No one person is bigger than the team, he's not a deity.

I don't think anyone is saying he is, but if the ultimate goal is to win another championship, Drew Brees gives us the best chance at this point. And right now he has the team around him that is capable of doing it, with a few additions needed.

If we were looking at another possible rebuild like we endured for a few years prior to that 2017 draft, then I would say that Brees probably should consider going elsewhere (for his own sake, not mine) if he wanted to continue to play.

How often does a team move on from a Hall of Fame quarterback and then either improve or at least continue playing well? Steve Young and Aaron Rodgers obviously come to mind, but those are two examples in a span of nearly 30 years. To a lesser extent, Andrew Luck...... but we see how that has worked out. After John Elway retired, Denver didn't even make the playoffs for like another 7 years. And Denver still hasn't been back since Manning retired...... even though he wasn't playing anywhere near the level of what we were used to seeing from him. For that matter, throw in Brett Favre from 2009. Even if Kirk Cousins ends up being the answer, the Vikings had to spend a decade in search of an answer at quarterback.

Spoiler alert: winning in the NFL..... and for sure winning championships..... isn't as simple and straightforward as some people like to pretend.

Sure he could "play" for another 2-3 years, but can he compete at a level to win a championship for another 2-3 years??

Only if Payton can commit to the running game and gameplan the way he did during the 5 game Teddy stretch.

Drew owns the records now. Dont need to throw all over the yard anymore. The only way we can compete in the playoffs with DB9 at QB is with a game plan focused on the Run and protecting DB9.

It means he ain't going out on that loss.

So 2020 is 100% gonna happen.

And he's right, he's good for at least 3 years minimum at an elite level.

I see that a lot but most QB's do got out on a loss like that. It's those type of loses that show them they can't do it anymore.

It's very rare that QB's go out winning like Elway and Manning did. Those guys were toast by the time they won their last superbowls and were straight up carried. Unfortunately our defense isn't remotely close to how good the Bronco's defenses were.

A 21M cap hit before the 30M he’s going to ask for. Of course he wants to play for 3-4 more years. It’s the only way we could possibly entertain getting into a disastrous contract for our franchise.

The time is now to cut ties and get this franchise out from under his cap hit. We can use that money to build a team around whomever is QB.

Additionally, I believe his skills are diminishing. Extending Drew is a bad business decision for this franchise.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom