Brees Injury Diagnosis MERGED (UPDATE: Drew expected to have surgery on torn ligament - out 6 weeks) (1 Viewer)

It is not done laparoscopically. An incision is made and the skin is peeled back to expose the tear. There are several studies to show that this procedure is much better than just using a suture anchor. One study cites a basketball player returning to full play 5 weeks post-surgery.

Here is how the procedure is performed with tape by Dr. Shin.

I gotta GET ME one of those! That is so cool! :9:
I can definitely see why this would create a much more stable thumb a lot quicker than simply stitching up the old torn ligament. If Drew has more than just a bad sprain, this is why this surgery is so highly recommended for him. No doubt that material and the attachment to the bone is at least as strong as the natural tissue... likely even stronger.

I'm all for a surgery with increased speed of recovery. Drew just needs to get it done quickly. The longer he waits the longer it takes to get back.

I know he is a warrior and hates to be on the sideline (one reason I think he won't want to coach after playing days are done), but he needs to make his decision quick.

You tell him!!! ?

What’s taking so long for drew to have his surgery. I know he was going for a second opinion , but I figured by now something would have been done .

What’s taking so long for drew to have his surgery. I know he was going for a second opinion , but I figured by now something would have been done .
48 hours haven't even passed since the injury. Maybe he has to fly across the country for his second opinion. I'm sure the decision will be made within the next couple of days.

48 hours haven't even passed since the injury. Maybe he has to fly across the country for his second opinion. I'm sure the decision will be made within the next couple of days.
Drew Was supposed to get his second opinion in Houston this morning, maybe the saints are just being tight lipped about it.

Drew Was supposed to get his second opinion in Houston this morning, maybe the saints are just being tight lipped about it.
So we'll hear about it when the decision is made as to what he's doing. Just because he's gotten the second opinion doesn't mean he's decided what he's doing. Give the man a minute. It's his livelihood on the line.

Seems to me that there will either be a statement that he's had surgery and is expected back by X date, he gets put on IR, his season is over, or that he's inactive this week (and rehabbing). I don't expect too many details to be made public.

I don't expect too many details to be made public.
You know they won't with how tight lipped Payton is about any injury. I'm sure he'll be extra tight lipped about this (especially since it's Drew) after explaining what the injury is and what he's doing or had done. He can't avoid that much, but after the fact, I think we'll hear, "Everything is going as well as could be expected."

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom