Brees INT....Downhill from there!!! (1 Viewer)

BCK30

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Every team loses every now and then....I don't think the season is necessarily over. But there were some things that concern me big time. First, Mr. Drew Brees. He has been a model of consistency and everything good about New Orleans since 2006 but I'm actually starting to think he need to seriously consider hanging it up. Some of you are going to read that and go "Are you Crazy???" Think about it though. If you go back and look at his last 3 performances his numbers aren't that good.

Minnesota may have exposed his weaknesses and now everybody is following suit. If the ball can't pushed down the field and you allow defenses to box you in this is what happens. The interception started tonight's downward spiral and If he can't adjust then it will be a ho hum 9 or 10 win season at best. Second, the defense. From a stopping the run standpoint I thought they did ok. But the penalties!!! The penalties!!!! The penalties!!!!! Just ridiculous!!!! You can't do that.

It's a shame that everytime Derek Carr threw the ball downfield I found myself looking for a flag and on most occasions one came flying to my disgust. I don't care I good the defense look on paper and yes last week they balled with the exception of the penalties. But consistency is the name of the game and the Saints defense still has a ways to go.

Third and finally, Coaching....No I'm not pointing the finger at Sean Payton. It's actually going to Dennis Allen. In the first quarter, he called a great blitz to sack Carr and the back end of the secondary was holding up to get a few more coverage sacks. But then, it's like Gruden adjusted and he didn't. Carr got into a rhythm and he didn't nothing to change it. Very disappointed. Better get it together quickly because next week you got Aaron Rodgers to deal with.

Live4theSaints

Griffin
Reaction score
Not a single throw over 20 yards seems very alarming. The raiders barely have a pass rush and an average secondary minus abrams who balls. Ya think teams aren’t gunna stack and play those intermediate and short routes all day vs us. Can’t expect good offense without keeping a defense honest.

Reaction score
Every team loses every now and then....I don't think the season is necessarily over. But there were some things that concern me big time. First, Mr. Drew Brees. He has been a model of consistency and everything good about New Orleans since 2006 but I'm actually starting to think he need to seriously consider hanging it up. Some of you are going to read that and go "Are you Crazy???" Think about it though. If you go back and look at his last 3 performances his numbers aren't that good.

Minnesota may have exposed his weaknesses and now everybody is following suit. If the ball can't pushed down the field and you allow defenses to box you in this is what happens. The interception started tonight's downward spiral and If he can't adjust then it will be a ho hum 9 or 10 win season at best. Second, the defense. From a stopping the run standpoint I thought they did ok. But the penalties!!! The penalties!!!! The penalties!!!!! Just ridiculous!!!! You can't do that.

It's a shame that everytime Derek Carr threw the ball downfield I found myself looking for a flag and on most occasions one came flying to my disgust. I don't care I good the defense look on paper and yes last week they balled with the exception of the penalties. But consistency is the name of the game and the Saints defense still has a ways to go.

Third and finally, Coaching....No I'm not pointing the finger at Sean Payton. It's actually going to Dennis Allen. In the first quarter, he called a great blitz to sack Carr and the back end of the secondary was holding up to get a few more coverage sacks. But then, it's like Gruden adjusted and he didn't. Carr got into a rhythm and he didn't nothing to change it. Very disappointed. Better get it together quickly because next week you got Aaron Rodgers to deal with.
We should trade Saunders, he's useless with weak arm Brees. We kept Brees for 1 year too long. He should have retired prior to this season. Looks like Brees will end his career during a season of turmoil and with a losing record. Too bad , he did so much for the saints. By the way, drug test our entire secondary.

austxsaintfan

Veteran
Reaction score
I agree...has Brees looked less sharp than normal? Yes, but I think that can be due to a lack of preseason. With 5 drops, he would have been 31-38. Yes, he doesn't throw it downfield anymore, but we mostly don't see if those receivers are open. Can he not throw them or is it the receivers?

That one drive with 3 penalties in 4 plays was a killer.

The D laid an egg. Couldn't get off the field....couldn't D up a tight end...and for the most part, couldn't get pressure from the front 4. Carr had all day.

Reaction score
5 dropped passes tonight

We still like like we are preseason football.
We have bums playing WR and Brees does not throw a catchable ball like he did in 2015. Remember Cooks asked for a trade after 2016 because Brees could not throw long any more.
But hey we have a great defense, right?

Reaction score

The Raiders are not a good team and have a so-so defense. If they win 8 games that will be progress for the raiders. We are pass our window for going anywhere in the post-season. Brees looks like he should have retired after 2017. This is a bad loss to an average team. So we are an average team and I doubt we win our division.

sfbaysaint

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
This is 75% on defense... Saints were up 17-7 till about 5 mins in the 2nd qtr... after that the Raiders offense went:
TD
FG
TD
Fumble
TD
FG

Saints offense went
Int
Punt
Punt
TD

Raiders did not punt. That is on defense. Raiders got 6 drives to saints' 4. That is on defense.

blackadder

...from a chicken, bugwit
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

The interception was bad.

The defense was worse.

Dennis Allen is Payton's hand picked guy. The defenses have always ultimately been Payton's responsibility, some years more than others, like when Gregg Williams contractually excluded him from being involved.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Tom Brady now one touchdown pass behind Drew Brees’ career record Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Brees Air Stats Over 10 Yards Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 50
Dan in Lafayette Saints mainstays Brees, Jordan, Morstead climbing higher in team record books SR News Page Articles 0
Saints should start Jameis over Brees during an 'easy' 4-game stretch - Domonique Foxworth Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 116
Darren B Jeff Duncan book - Payton and Brees Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 9
Marty_Graw Brees purchases Condo on Canal St Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 74
Drew Brees buys luxury Canal Street condo, celebrity news site reports Saints RSS News Feeds 0
jasonsw Brees last 4 games Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 87
Dan in Lafayette Brees gratified by Sanders' rising role in Saints offense SR News Page Articles 0
Krodwhodat Drew Brees and the Oline Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 15
BREENO Drew Brees has been throwing passes at receivers feet all year long. Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 17
Drew Brees improves to 4-0 against the Chargers Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Drew Brees on Michael Thomas suspension: “We’re going to be all good” Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Brees’ Saints somehow get win over Herbert’s Chargers Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Drew Brees addresses Michael Thomas suspension: 'We're going to be all good' Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Brees leads 17-point rally as Saints win 'wild one' Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Drew Brees "feel crazy" after New Orleans Saints punish Los Angeles Chargers 30-27 Week 5 SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Saints vs. Chargers score: Drew Brees rallies New Orleans to overtime win over Justin Herbert and Los Angeles SR News Page Articles 0
Saint Kamara Herbert should now have beaten Brees, Brady and Mahomes Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 33
What if Drew Brees has a change of heart and wants to return for 2021? Do we risk losing Jameis like we did with Teddy or do we honor Drew's wish Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 99
After facing Tom Brady, Chargers rookie Justin Herbert takes on Drew Brees, Saints Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Walker: Drew Brees looks to stay perfect against Chargers team that drafted him in 2001 Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Week 5 Bold Predictions - Drew Brees to have a big game? Saints RSS News Feeds 0