Brees is having a 2nd Opinion and may not need surgery Per WWL Radio-Coach Payton (1 Viewer)

Bruh until Adam Shefter comes out and says something I'm looking at Brees having surgery and being out for the 6 weeks or so. So.........

I play keeper in a couple of soccer leagues and injured the UCL on my left thumb (thankfully, since I'm a righty) four months ago. I thought the worst out of the gate and actually went to a doctor the next day. I'm typically ALWAYS injured in some fashion, so it's rare that I'll go for a diagnosis.

Mine was diagnosed as a UCL strain via x-ray and physical exam (no MRI.) I spent about a month-and-a-half out of goal. I couldn't easily open jars or do other things until very recently and still feel pain in the joint. I don't know how it would've felt trying to squeeze a football to throw it, but I suspect it would've been fairly excruciating.

That has been my experience with a possibly similar injury. I am certain that the factors relating to my rehab -- essentially none... I mostly just wore a large splint/brace and didn't do a good job of not using it way too much while it was injured -- versus the medical care Brees would get are night and day. Plus pro athlete versus "is it okay if I eat tacos for all three meals today? It seems fine."

I am hoping that whatever his final diagnosis is, that he can rehab quickly and be able to play as pain free as possible in a timely fashion.

There is really no downside in seeking a second opinion since Brees has front of the line privileges, but be careful what you wish for with conservative treatment. It’s more important that this thing heals up well. I’ve been under the impression that this was a complete tear this entire time...especially looking at the degree of laxity on the video. But prehaps it’s a grade 2 and you can give splinting/regen medicine a shot.

Anyone got a pure oxygen chamber they can donate to Drew for the next few weeks? :scratch:

I think it's pretty clear he's seeing about having the thumb replaced with a bionic. He'll be healed up by Sunday.

I mean I get that Brees isn’t a doctor, which is why he had a doctor look at it. And that doctor diagnosed it as a torn ligament. Just don’t really understand how that could be misdiagnosed as it is pretty easy to see.

But I’m all for getting a second opinion in hopes of better news. But I wouldn’t be too hopeful about it.

The valgus stress test done on Brees is ON video...and every Sports person I know says that it is a UCL tear (very likely grade 3). The only question is whether this is grade 2 or 3. I’m 100% that the MRI has been done. This is very likely wishful thinking on part of the Saints but maybe by the grace of God it was a grade 2 (incomplete injury).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom