Brees last 4 games (1 Viewer)

Saintcd

Rookie
Reaction score
Man this reminds me of the movie pet sematary . The Brees lover’s keep burying him in the cemetery hoping to get the young Brees back and keep getting different bad versions of him. Yet they keep digging the grave every Monday after a game never to realize that every version can’t scramble, throw with velocity or distance with any consistency. Throws go high for an interception or at the feet of the receivers. The double pumps and check downs become the norm and we realize that he’s the greatest game manager because he’s managed to stay in the game this long. New coach or team would have benched him by now.

sfidc3

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Man this reminds me of the movie pet sematary . The Brees lover’s keep burying him in the cemetery hoping to get the young Brees back and keep getting different bad versions of him. Yet they keep digging the grave every Monday after a game never to realize that every version can’t scramble, throw with velocity or distance with any consistency. Throws go high for an interception or at the feet of the receivers. The double pumps and check downs become the norm and we realize that he’s the greatest game manager because he’s managed to stay in the game this long. New coach or team would have benched him by now.
Right, all the while leading an offense that is scoring more points than all but 4 other teams in the NFL. Meanwhile our defense is giving up more points than all but 6 other teams (and 2 of those are giving up .4 more). So yeah, I completely agree your post above....NOT....

If he regresses during the season in the spirit of what you wrote above I would have no problem with benching him, but I haven’t seen that type of regression you describe above....

NativeFan

Reaction score
Right, all the while leading an offense that is scoring more points than all but 4 other teams in the NFL. Meanwhile our defense is giving up more points than all but 6 other teams (and 2 of those are giving up .4 more). So yeah, I completely agree your post above....NOT....

If he regresses during the season in the spirit of what you wrote above I would have no problem with benching him, but I haven’t seen that type of regression you describe above....
Keep holding onto your points narrative. When you look under the hood, this offense badly needs a tune-up. Defense is down across the league and points are up anyway, big deal.

There's no "if". Drew has regressed in key areas, areas that you will never see if all you look at is how many points we are scoring. Points that are mostly due to a Kamara that's playing out of his mind anyway.

You don't bench a Drew Brees just like they didn't bench a Payton Manning when it was clear he was falling down the cliff. If your argument is that if Drew Brees just had a historically great defense and an unbelievable running attack - he could still get it done. Well sure, granted. Is that even a remotely realistic expectation?

sfidc3

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Keep holding onto your points narrative. When you look under the hood, this offense badly needs a tune-up. Defense is down across the league and points are up anyway, big deal.

There's no "if". Drew has regressed in key areas, areas that you will never see if all you look at is how many points we are scoring. Points that are mostly due to a Kamara that's playing out of his mind anyway.

You don't bench a Drew Brees just like they didn't bench a Payton Manning when it was clear he was falling down the cliff. If your argument is that if Drew Brees just had a historically great defense and an unbelievable running attack - he could still get it done. Well sure, granted. Is that even a remotely realistic expectation?
Are you saying that Brees has regressed to the point that Peyton Manning has his last year? Because that is just patently untrue.

Can you provide a better, more important narrative than Points scored and points allowed.

Historically great defense? I would settle for just an average middle of the pack defense this year. If we had that we probably would be undefeated right now....

NativeFan

Reaction score
This is GOLD coming from you
I gotta throw a flag on that one. Nope, you will not accuse me of that simply because I have the courage and honesty to speak on his decline. I do not believe our offense is sustainable by having to rely on long 10-15+ play drives based on screens/dumpoffs to Kamara and 5 yard curls. And yes, NOBODY has executed that offense better than Payton and Brees. But time and time again in the playoffs, it gets exposed and exploited. This just is no longer sustainable for post-season success.

This year I've watched the best seam thrower in all of football, Drew Brees, hesitate and check down where there are guys wide open in the seam. Over and over again. This isn't about the deep ball, it's that he's now lost the zip required for the intermediary out-routes and the tight-window throws.

I do not hate Drew Brees, I love him. And it's sad to see him like this, and it's sad knowing that we will not get it done again with him at QB. You think any of us actually likes that fact?

sfidc3

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I gotta throw a flag on that one. Nope, you will not accuse me of that simply because I have the courage and honesty to speak on his decline. I do not believe our offense is sustainable by having to rely on long 10-15+ play drives based on screens/dumpoffs to Kamara and 5 yard curls. And yes, NOBODY has executed that offense better than Payton and Brees. But time and time again in the playoffs, it gets exposed and exploited. This just is no longer sustainable for post-season success.

This year I've watched the best seam thrower in all of football, Drew Brees, hesitate and check down where there are guys wide open in the seam. Over and over again. This isn't about the deep ball, it's that he's now lost the zip required for the intermediary out-routes and the tight-window throws.

I do not hate Drew Brees, I love him. And it's sad to see him like this, and it's sad knowing that we will not get it done again with him at QB. You think any of us actually likes that fact?
Hey man, I don’t think you hate Brees. I just think that for whatever reason you are exaggerating his decline in play. And somehow conflating that the offense is more of a problem than the defense when most of the evidence shows otherwise...IMO

saint_drago

I Must Break You
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I always thought that Drew was so good that when age finally caught up to him and he was only 80% of the QB he once was, he'd still be pretty good. And that's what we're seeing. Of course he isn't the QB he was 10 years ago but he's still getting the job done. It isn't as pretty as it used to be. It's not like watching poetry in motion anymore but if the end result is the same then does it really matter?

Drew hasn't played his best football yet we're still 3-2 and leading the division. The Saints can win a lot of game with this version of Drew but it's going to take a team effort. The defense and O line have to step up.

NativeFan

Reaction score
Hey man, I don’t think you hate Brees. I just think that for whatever reason you are exaggerating his decline in play. And somehow conflating that the offense is more of a problem than the defense when most of the evidence shows otherwise...IMO
We've seen the decline for years now, unbiased sports analysts have written about it for years. But we're like the frog in the pot man. Turn the heat up slow enough, he doesn't know anything is wrong until he's boiling. His mechanics and accuracy in the short to medium passing game have been flawless (until the playoffs of late), so it looks like everything is fine.

But all old QB's have that last year where it all just comes apart, and that's where Drew is right now. Of course we're scoring points, just look at this roster and the offensive line we have. Look at Kamara who can do things nobody else can do with the ball.

The way you talk about the defense...I mean following your logic one could very well say EVERY LOSS EVER in the history of football is because the defense didn't do it's job. The other team scored more points, bad defense right? Sigh, ok. I don't know what I'm supposed to do with that.

Reaction score
If you’re just a number reader ... then yeah it’s not to shabby for a 41 year old man.. but you really have to look deeper as someone said earlier and honestly evaluate what you’re seeing and how the wins and losses add up so far . This team needs more weeks to “gel” I would have to simply say.

NativeFan

Reaction score
The defense and O line have to step up.
Our o-line is playing great, but it's like I keep trying to tell people here. Teams are selling out to pressure Brees because they know he cannot make them pay for it over the top anymore. Also he doesn't throw on the move anymore, so everyone knows if you can force him off his spot it's all the harder for him to get a pass off.

If you were scheming a defense against the Saints, be honest, what would scare you away from blitzing Brees right now knowing you can always keep the play in front of your backfield?

sfidc3

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
We've seen the decline for years now, unbiased sports analysts have written about it for years. But we're like the frog in the pot man. Turn the heat up slow enough, he doesn't know anything is wrong until he's boiling. His mechanics and accuracy in the short to medium passing game have been flawless (until the playoffs of late), so it looks like everything is fine.

But all old QB's have that last year where it all just comes apart, and that's where Drew is right now. Of course we're scoring points, just look at this roster and the offensive line we have. Look at Kamara who can do things nobody else can do with the ball.

The way you talk about the defense...I mean following your logic one could very well say EVERY LOSS EVER in the history of football is because the defense didn't do it's job. The other team scored more points, bad defense right? Sigh, ok. I don't know what I'm supposed to do with that.
No, not every loss ever just most of our playoff losses...I don’t think anyone is mistaking Brees 2020 for Brees 2011 but I still think he has not declined to the level that you claim....so we can agree to disagree....and we have the rest of the season to find out.....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Tom Brady now one touchdown pass behind Drew Brees’ career record Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Brees Air Stats Over 10 Yards Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 50
Dan in Lafayette Saints mainstays Brees, Jordan, Morstead climbing higher in team record books SR News Page Articles 0
Saints should start Jameis over Brees during an 'easy' 4-game stretch - Domonique Foxworth Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 115
Darren B Jeff Duncan book - Payton and Brees Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 9
Marty_Graw Brees purchases Condo on Canal St Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 74
Drew Brees buys luxury Canal Street condo, celebrity news site reports Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Brees gratified by Sanders' rising role in Saints offense SR News Page Articles 0
Krodwhodat Drew Brees and the Oline Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 15
BREENO Drew Brees has been throwing passes at receivers feet all year long. Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 17
Drew Brees improves to 4-0 against the Chargers Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Drew Brees on Michael Thomas suspension: “We’re going to be all good” Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Brees’ Saints somehow get win over Herbert’s Chargers Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Drew Brees addresses Michael Thomas suspension: 'We're going to be all good' Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Brees leads 17-point rally as Saints win 'wild one' Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Drew Brees "feel crazy" after New Orleans Saints punish Los Angeles Chargers 30-27 Week 5 SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Saints vs. Chargers score: Drew Brees rallies New Orleans to overtime win over Justin Herbert and Los Angeles SR News Page Articles 0
Saint Kamara Herbert should now have beaten Brees, Brady and Mahomes Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 33
What if Drew Brees has a change of heart and wants to return for 2021? Do we risk losing Jameis like we did with Teddy or do we honor Drew's wish Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 99
After facing Tom Brady, Chargers rookie Justin Herbert takes on Drew Brees, Saints Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Walker: Drew Brees looks to stay perfect against Chargers team that drafted him in 2001 Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Week 5 Bold Predictions - Drew Brees to have a big game? Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Brees Color Rush jersey XL Trading Post 1
Week 4 Bold Predictions - Drew Brees to have a big game? Saints RSS News Feeds 0
No one can match Monday night milestones of Saints' Drew Brees Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Last two games..... Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 6
Saintsphere More details emerge about last week's Mike Thomas incident Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 208
HouseCall A few observations about last nights broadcast... Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 23
Penalty for C.J. Gardner-Johnson helmet toss wouldn’t have extended last night’s game Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Super44 General player grades last night. Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 18
Super44 Nominal amount of penalties last night. Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 22
UFCSaint I wonder when the last time Brady was 5 games into a season without the division lead? Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 0
DA [MOD EDIT] on the last drive in regulation... Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 9
jasonsw N/S Matt Ryan's stats last 3 games Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 35
Saints among NFL's worst at forcing turnovers through 5 games, but are trusting the process Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saint Kamara This season through 6 games has the least parity in NFL history Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 4
Saints, New Orleans Mayor meet to discuss return of fans to Superdome for games Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Week 6 early games open thread Saints RSS News Feeds 0
The cost of no Saints fans at games for Louisiana? $15M in lost tax revenue, team officials say Saints RSS News Feeds 0
LifeForceDave 2 Monday night games Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 5
Games 6-11 Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 15
Saints' Payton supports games at LSU, with fans Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Sean Payton says possibility of having Saints games at LSU 'would be exciting' Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Saints explore moving home games to LSU's Tiger Stadium SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Saints extend October winning streak to 14 games dating to 2016 SR News Page Articles 0
Saints are exploring possibility of playing home games at LSU’s Tiger Stadium Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints explore playing home games at LSU’s Tiger Stadium Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints to meet with LSU on hosting home games Saints RSS News Feeds 0
BlackNGoldblood Saints discussing playing home games at Tiger Stadium Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 81
About as bad as they can play the 1st 5 games and guess what Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 10