Brees last 4 games (1 Viewer)

This. Even Brady is tossing more bad balls that he's ever been known to do, and it clearly isn't age or arm strength. Winston, with what the Saints have at WR/RB right now, doesn't toss more than 10 INTs, and the ones he does throw are more likely shot plays 50 yards downfield. The WRs on the Saints roster are receivers that excelled deep in college. TQS and Callaway caught legit bombs at Tenn and UCF, and I've lost count of how many times we've seen Sanders and Harris wide open downfield only to see Brees double-clutch the chance away or force it into a safety's arms. This is the same predictable offense that got us knocked out of the playoffs the last two seasons, and now it's worse. Teams just aren't scared of Drew or any sort of long ball. Even worse, there hasn't been any heat on his throws all season long. There's just no feeling of being threatening when Drew's in the pocket anymore.

The only reason this team is scoring 30ppg right now is because every defense in the NFL decided to turn into the 2012 Saints this season.

Right, except that there are 27 other teams that are scoring less than the Saints, and only 4 teams scoring more....I think you are exaggerating things a bit here....

I don't get you at all right now. Do you not believe that men reach a point where they get old and can't do it anymore? If playing quarterback was nothing more than standing in the pocket and throwing a ball, we would have guys doing it well into their 50's. This is a game of inches, which means it's also a game of milliseconds. Milliseconds make the difference between completions and interceptions/incompletions EVERY weekend in the NFL. Drew's fastball is gone so please do the math.

We love Drew! But don't you get it? He just doesn't have it anymore. The arm is shot. Why can't you make yourself see it?

Agree 100%, but the Brees homers will never see it anyway but that he walks on water. That’s why I had to compare him to when Kenny stable came here oh so long ago at the end of his career. He could hardly get it back to the line of scrimmage. I get it, people don’t want an era to end, but why have the rest of the team suffer just to appease one player. He’s not the team, and he’s hurting the team at this point.

the statement above is utter lunacy, I’m sure GW, DA and all the defenders that gave up those last second scores would appreciate your opinion but I really don’t think many others would....

Right so your idea to win in the playoffs is to suddenly start scoring way less points than average, commit turnovers, and let teams hang around so they have the ball last and expecting the defense to ALWAYS be able to come up with a stop. That's your recipe for success?

Love how people bring up "complimentary football" until it stops being complimentary, then we scapegoat the defense. Why DO so many teams end up with the ball last and a chance to win the game??? Why are we going into overtime all the time in the playoffs, even in the Dome?

I could show you how in every single one of our recent playoff losses, the offense didn't get it done and left points on the field. Points that would have put the game away, but what's the point?

Right so your idea to win in the playoffs is to suddenly start scoring way less points than average, commit turnovers, and let teams hang around so they have the ball last and expecting the defense to ALWAYS be able to come up with a stop. That's your recipe for success?

Love how people bring up "complimentary football" until it stops being complimentary, then we scapegoat the defense. Why DO so many teams end up with the ball last and a chance to win the game??? Why are we going into overtime all the time in the playoffs, even in the Dome?

I could show you how in every single one of our recent playoff losses, the offense didn't get it done and left points on the field. Points that would have put the game away, but what's the point?

ALWAYS? Once would have been nice....

Man this reminds me of the movie pet sematary . The Brees lover’s keep burying him in the cemetery hoping to get the young Brees back and keep getting different bad versions of him. Yet they keep digging the grave every Monday after a game never to realize that every version can’t scramble, throw with velocity or distance with any consistency. Throws go high for an interception or at the feet of the receivers. The double pumps and check downs become the norm and we realize that he’s the greatest game manager because he’s managed to stay in the game this long. New coach or team would have benched him by now.

Man this reminds me of the movie pet sematary . The Brees lover’s keep burying him in the cemetery hoping to get the young Brees back and keep getting different bad versions of him. Yet they keep digging the grave every Monday after a game never to realize that every version can’t scramble, throw with velocity or distance with any consistency. Throws go high for an interception or at the feet of the receivers. The double pumps and check downs become the norm and we realize that he’s the greatest game manager because he’s managed to stay in the game this long. New coach or team would have benched him by now.

Right, all the while leading an offense that is scoring more points than all but 4 other teams in the NFL. Meanwhile our defense is giving up more points than all but 6 other teams (and 2 of those are giving up .4 more). So yeah, I completely agree your post above....NOT....

If he regresses during the season in the spirit of what you wrote above I would have no problem with benching him, but I haven’t seen that type of regression you describe above....

Right, all the while leading an offense that is scoring more points than all but 4 other teams in the NFL. Meanwhile our defense is giving up more points than all but 6 other teams (and 2 of those are giving up .4 more). So yeah, I completely agree your post above....NOT....

If he regresses during the season in the spirit of what you wrote above I would have no problem with benching him, but I haven’t seen that type of regression you describe above....

Keep holding onto your points narrative. When you look under the hood, this offense badly needs a tune-up. Defense is down across the league and points are up anyway, big deal.

There's no "if". Drew has regressed in key areas, areas that you will never see if all you look at is how many points we are scoring. Points that are mostly due to a Kamara that's playing out of his mind anyway.

You don't bench a Drew Brees just like they didn't bench a Payton Manning when it was clear he was falling down the cliff. If your argument is that if Drew Brees just had a historically great defense and an unbelievable running attack - he could still get it done. Well sure, granted. Is that even a remotely realistic expectation?

Keep holding onto your points narrative. When you look under the hood, this offense badly needs a tune-up. Defense is down across the league and points are up anyway, big deal.

There's no "if". Drew has regressed in key areas, areas that you will never see if all you look at is how many points we are scoring. Points that are mostly due to a Kamara that's playing out of his mind anyway.

You don't bench a Drew Brees just like they didn't bench a Payton Manning when it was clear he was falling down the cliff. If your argument is that if Drew Brees just had a historically great defense and an unbelievable running attack - he could still get it done. Well sure, granted. Is that even a remotely realistic expectation?

Are you saying that Brees has regressed to the point that Peyton Manning has his last year? Because that is just patently untrue.

Can you provide a better, more important narrative than Points scored and points allowed.

Historically great defense? I would settle for just an average middle of the pack defense this year. If we had that we probably would be undefeated right now....

This is GOLD coming from you

I gotta throw a flag on that one. Nope, you will not accuse me of that simply because I have the courage and honesty to speak on his decline. I do not believe our offense is sustainable by having to rely on long 10-15+ play drives based on screens/dumpoffs to Kamara and 5 yard curls. And yes, NOBODY has executed that offense better than Payton and Brees. But time and time again in the playoffs, it gets exposed and exploited. This just is no longer sustainable for post-season success.

This year I've watched the best seam thrower in all of football, Drew Brees, hesitate and check down where there are guys wide open in the seam. Over and over again. This isn't about the deep ball, it's that he's now lost the zip required for the intermediary out-routes and the tight-window throws.

I do not hate Drew Brees, I love him. And it's sad to see him like this, and it's sad knowing that we will not get it done again with him at QB. You think any of us actually likes that fact?

I gotta throw a flag on that one. Nope, you will not accuse me of that simply because I have the courage and honesty to speak on his decline. I do not believe our offense is sustainable by having to rely on long 10-15+ play drives based on screens/dumpoffs to Kamara and 5 yard curls. And yes, NOBODY has executed that offense better than Payton and Brees. But time and time again in the playoffs, it gets exposed and exploited. This just is no longer sustainable for post-season success.

This year I've watched the best seam thrower in all of football, Drew Brees, hesitate and check down where there are guys wide open in the seam. Over and over again. This isn't about the deep ball, it's that he's now lost the zip required for the intermediary out-routes and the tight-window throws.

I do not hate Drew Brees, I love him. And it's sad to see him like this, and it's sad knowing that we will not get it done again with him at QB. You think any of us actually likes that fact?

Hey man, I don’t think you hate Brees. I just think that for whatever reason you are exaggerating his decline in play. And somehow conflating that the offense is more of a problem than the defense when most of the evidence shows otherwise...IMO

I always thought that Drew was so good that when age finally caught up to him and he was only 80% of the QB he once was, he'd still be pretty good. And that's what we're seeing. Of course he isn't the QB he was 10 years ago but he's still getting the job done. It isn't as pretty as it used to be. It's not like watching poetry in motion anymore but if the end result is the same then does it really matter?

Drew hasn't played his best football yet we're still 3-2 and leading the division. The Saints can win a lot of game with this version of Drew but it's going to take a team effort. The defense and O line have to step up.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom