Brees long-ball, is it low-key back? (1 Viewer)

I think the thumb injury last season had a little to do with Brees downfield ball but he was average with even in his prime. That being said it is obvious from the last two games that teams are playing the Saints more condensed daring Brees to try and beat them over the top. You saw how the TB defender didn't take Cook downfield too seriously until Brees actually threw the ball to him. Payton needs to understand that and adjust accordingly. Plus, the Offensive Line has to be better and I believe they will. They always struggle the beginning of the season.

This. Once the O-line gels, CSP and Drew can take great advantage, probably for about a month, of the fact that opposing defenses are assuming Brees can't throw deep. After about four games, defenses will stop conceding the deep ball and play deeper, which will open up more middle and short routes as well as clearing more room for running lanes. Brees was off his mark, even said so himself in the post game interviews, but a lot of that was lack of practice time and bad blocking by his O-line. It will take a couple of weeks, but they will get in sync. Hopefully, defenses will still be underestimating his arm strength at that point.
Does he have the arm he had 10 years ago? No, but he isn't anywhere near as incapacitated as the NFL seems to believe he is.

I don't know if it is age, pressure, or receivers not being open or in the right place, or play designs...but he does look more flustered and more erratic than the vintage Brees when pressured, on the move or his first read isn't there.

I guess we will find out as the season progresses. The thing that concerns me is that we were in a similar situations last year and we had games like Atlanta and Minnesota where it was exactly the same and neither Payton nor Brees had any answers or adjustments to exploit what the defense was doing. So, I fear it's something where one or both of them are aware of a limitation that is discouraging them from calling the shot plays that would make the defense back off a bit.
MT is his safety blanket. Bucs took him out of the equation. He had trouble with his reads after MT when pressured. That is how it seemed to me at least.

That's probably right. It's about 24 yards from the hash to the sideline. Different stat sources use different methods. I prefer Air yards gained hence no need to ask Pythagoras for help. NEXT-GEN STATS say their Longest Completed Air Yards is as the crow flies i.e. the slant range you calculated. For some reason, they split the difference between our numbers. I actually think you are closer than they are.

However, I think my point remains valid. This seems to be near his maximum range. Well short of other, younger QBs. Below is a snapshot of the Next Gen 2020 stats sorted by LCAY.

I can live with 45 yards plus or minus a few but not sure how his arm feels after flinging a few that far in a game. You also have to take into account his post-game recuperation time and the wear over a season. Drew has been candid about the decline in range so I'm not exactly out in left-field with my analysis.

stats..JPG

NextGen needs to retake Trig 1 because that ball went 48 yards in the air.

If you go back to the Henderson and Meachem era, Brees really could make all the throws. He threw a great and accurate deep ball...well place and very catchable. He also could do those lasers up the seam into the end zone into a ridiculously tight area...the ones Colston would go up and grab with a DB all over him.

Those have gone away...no longer in the offense.

There's still a lot he can do but Payton has to manage this flawlessly and whenever and wherever he can lean on some other players to carry more of the load, whether that is more Tayson or actually staying disciplined on staying with the running game and leaning on the OL to carry that...the challenge is the defenses are going to cheat down to the LOS until they are made to pay.
I noticed this too when watching old games. I think 2008 was peak Drew physically as a Saint. It could be a 3rd and 12 and he would zip it right down the seam for 18 yards.

Most of what we do now rely on yards after catch.

I also don’t fully believe what Drew said in his presser. He mentioned that the Bucs D were forcing throws underneath to not allow the big play.....I don’t buy that. I saw 10 defenders within 20 yards of the LOS.

Back in 2008-2009 defenses truly forced underneath throws.

I will say though - that Cook throw was awesome. Looking at the replay it honestly seemed as though the defender thought there could be no way a ball is getting over his head.

Let that sink in. Split out wide. 35 yards past the LOS....defenders don’t think he can make that throw anymore. Which means - it is definitely being talked about by defensive coaches that Brees has lot the deep ball.

Drew missed short passes all game long which is uncharacteristic for him, let him get that going before we talk about the long ball

I hope this isn't a case similar to when a fast and quick RB ***bulks up*** and is no longer fast and quick!

(That is, he gave up accuracy for the long ball.)

From my post in another thread:

FWIW:

and

from 2019:

Well you have to figure Drew has the element of surprise on deep throws now. Drew can throw the deep passes he just has to release at a slightly different angle to get more airtime. Theres nothing wrong with a rainbow 40 yard pass as long as its accurate. Even with good arm strength deep throws have the highest risk of interception so there are benefits to Drew not throwing deep. His INT stats have dropped dramatically as the offense lost the deep pass. That's not a bad thing. We are a much better balanced team and we are better because of it.

Drew’s arm did not look good yesterday. I don’t know what some of yall see. The only reason he completed that pass to cooks is because the defender thought they were out of Drew’s arm range.

He had games where he looked good enough last year but if he looks the same in week 2 as week 1...

This team has to win on offense by accurate short range passes and run after catch. Yesterday his short range looked off. I don’t ever remember seeing him look like that even in preseason. I’m not saying bench him, but again I just don’t know what some of y’all see.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom