Brees & Mahomes (1 Viewer)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So the word on the street is Sean Payton was prepared to pick Patrick Mahomes with the 11th pick

If the Chiefs don’t swoop in to 10 and he is there and we pick him at 11 what would that have meant for Drew Brees?

You can easily argue that the past three seasons have been some of the best football Drew has played

Would have kept Mahomes on the bench in an Aaron Rogers/ Brett Favre situation?

Or would have Mahomes been so good in practice/preseason that there would be no way to keep him from the field and we have traded or not resigned Brees?

I do think that if Mahomes was On the roster he’d have been Drew’s backup for the last 3 years but this offseason I feel like we would have made the transition (but I’d still want Brees to come back and be the starter)

Would we have already moved on from Drew if we drafted Mahomes?

Well pretty much sums it up. Having Lattimore really boosted up the defense and allow the offense to not rely on Brees all the time. 3 years of great records and good defense was the results. Thinking back, in my opinion, if we had taken Mahomes, our record wouldn't be the same and probably transitioned to Mahomes in 2018 season. Who knows how Mahomes would turn out in Payton's offense. But hate to think about it when Mahomes just won a Super Bowl pretty much on his own.

That's completely false.

We had Lattimore rated higher than Mahomes.

We don't know what would have happened.

My guess is we would have gone with Lattimore because he was the sure bet.

Last edited:
If we had drafted Mahomes. We would have won at least one of the last 2 Superbowls.

Lattimore is a big piece of the puzzle but I’m sure the FO could have found a good enough CB1 through free agency or a trade, especially with the cap space assuming Drew wasn’t on the roster.

That's completely false.

He’s not going to sell out Lattimore in the media and say we only drafted him because we couldn’t get somebody else.

If we had drafted Mahomes. We would have won at least one of the last 2 Superbowls.

Lattimore is a big piece of the puzzle but I’m sure the FO could have found a good enough CB1 through free agency or a trade, especially with the cap space assuming Drew wasn’t on the roster.

Heck, our FO hasn't been able to find a viable #2 CB.

Mahomes would have been walking away to another team. With everyone here shoving him out the door as fast as possible while we beg for drew to keep playing

That's completely false.

I don't know. Chiefs jumped us for a reason. Word following that draft was that we were going to take Mahommes. Of course SP is going to say Lattimore would've been the pick. He was the pick and he's still on our team. Seans not going to dis one of our star players like that.

As for the OP... I've wondered this myself. Would we still have Drew or would Mahommes have taken the job? I don't think there's an answer to be had there.

But I like Loose Cannon's take:

I don't know what would have happened, but I do know there'd be a huge contingent of people on this board who were convinced that Taysom Hill was better than Mahomes and that we should trade Mahomes for a 3rd rounder.

Payton wanted Mahomes the golfer I forget his name had no reason to lie and he said this publicly him and Lattimore were the highest players on there board!

Mahomes would’ve probably sat his rookie year and 2018 . 2019 who knows but I tell you what if he would’ve came out the gate how he did in 2018 MVP season during those 5 games Brees missed THERES NOWAY POSSIBLE BRESS gets to come back and play I don’t think the lord himself could’ve started hotter than he was that season beasting Manning’s historic 56 TD MVP season to start off

You sir, are an ignoramus (end stop).

I don't know. Chiefs jumped us for a reason. Word following that draft was that we were going to take Mahommes. Of course SP is going to say Lattimore would've been the pick. He was the pick and he's still on our team. Seans not going to dis one of our star players like that.

As for the OP... I've wondered this myself. Would we still have Drew or would Mahommes have taken the job? I don't think there's an answer to be had there.

But I like Loose Cannon's take:

Yeah I mean Payton isn't going to come out and say "I did a poor job of concealing my interest in Mahomes and we got snaked, but I'm happy we got our second choice!". We'll never know.

Mahomes’ agent did not want Mahomes sitting behind Brees for 3-4 years, PERIOD!

You do not think for one minute, agents do not talk to all teams interested in their clients (players) to leverage their players, best possible situation?

i would bet anything, Mahomes’ agent knew the Saints and Chiefs both had high interest in drafting Mahomes. Mahomes’ agent touted the fact to the Chiefs the Saints were going to draft him at 11, and I do not want my client sitting for 3-4 years. So if you guys (Chiefs) really want him, you need to move up one spot ahead of the Saints. Props to the Chiefs.

I be willing to bet going forward, the Saints will NEVER remotely discuss anything relative to a player they plan to draft him at a given spot. They may even move up a spot or two, to ensure another team does not pull a stunt like the Chiefs.

Drew said in an interview during the Super Bowl that he first starting thinking about retirement beginning with the 2017 season. If Mahomes gets picked instead of Lattimore, I think Drew retires after 2017.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom