Brees not in Clayton's Top 15 QBs all time (1 Viewer)

That list is ludicrous. It seems like he purposely left Brees off just to have a big discussion in the comments. Either that or that guy just ain't got a clue. Also he gets recognized by his peers and previous great qbs all the time. If I got joe Montana and Steve young saying I'm a top 5 qb of all time I could care less what a media guy says that's never even played the sport. Who dat baby!!!!

I think sometimes people honestly just forget about Brees when they make these lists or talk about the all time greats. That's unfortunate but that comes with playing for a smaller market team. ...

Just goes to show you just how good Archie really was being on a "small market team" and yet getting voted to the Pro Bowl and NFC Player of the Year in 1978 even though the Saints only had a 7-9 record that year!

From Wiki: "In 1978, he was named the NFC Player of the Year by UPI after leading the Saints to a 7–9 record. That same year, Archie was also named All-NFC by both the UPI and The Sporting News.

Manning was selected to the Pro Bowl in 1978 and 1979."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archie_Manning#NFL_career

Clayton is worthless. Always has been, always will be.

Attachments

• chicken clayton.jpg
    chicken clayton.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 11
Before I state my opinion, I will say this is coming from a Falcons fan.

No way in hell is Brees not in the top 15 all time. Hell I put him in the top 10 all time. This guy has just flat out balled out. He took a lowly franchise and put them on his back.

He is deadly accurate, lets his nuts hang, and can dissect a defense. His multi 5k yard seasons speak to that as well. The shame that he hasn't won an MVP is bewildering.

He is definitely top 15.

I need to go wash off. I feel dirty now.

It's OK, I feel dirty and need to shower after giving a + rep to a Falcon's fan :plus-un2:

This list hs nothing to do with just talent. You have to know how to win and as you said defense has held him back(as does his propensity to throw picks early when his team is trailing-he did it in the pro bowl). Those QBs have been consistent playoff QBs year in and year out. Brees has not. You can make the argument the defense has been an issue but also can make the argument Brees hasn't had much of a say and it is his job to intervene on something that goes wrong. He could have took a stand against SP's defensive disaster in 2014 FA.

Just goes to show you just how good Archie really was being on a "small market team" and yet getting voted to the Pro Bowl and NFC Player of the Year in 1978 even though the Saints only had a 7-9 record that year!

From Wiki: "In 1978, he was named the NFC Player of the Year by UPI after leading the Saints to a 7–9 record. That same year, Archie was also named All-NFC by both the UPI and The Sporting News.

Manning was selected to the Pro Bowl in 1978 and 1979."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archie_Manning#NFL_career

The NFL was also not the number one sport then either.

My top 15 (I am not going back before Unitas/Starr... too far back and too different a game)

1. Brady
2. Montana
3. Staubach
4. Unitas
5. Young
6. Starr
7. Rodgers
8. Elway
9. Brees (some fans may say "how can you put Brees>Manning... Well their SB demonstrated way. Peyton choked and Brees had a great game which he usually does in the playoffs).
10. Peyton (he is great but all time he is overrated a tad imo)
11. Marino
12. Favre
13. Kelly
14. Warner
15. Bradshaw

HMs Tarkenton (was too bad in the playoffs to make the list) Aikman (deserves mention for sure here)

I may change a few of who i want 11-15 from time to time but i think my top 10 will stay in there for some time until someone better comes along.

Also if you wanna argue Brees over Elway, Starr and Rodgers arguments can be made (but in Rodgers case it is solely longevity as Rodgers is imo the better player and the more he plays the worse that argument gets).

However after those guys I don't see any reasonable way to claim he is better than anyone in my top 5. It should be said though as of now #9 all time is his floor. No way I put any guys beneath him on that list above him.

My top 15 (I am not going back before Unitas/Starr... too far back and too different a game)

1. Brady
2. Montana
3. Staubach
4. Unitas
5. Young
6. Starr
7. Rodgers
8. Elway
9. Brees (some fans may say "how can you put Brees>Manning... Well their SB demonstrated way. Peyton choked and Brees had a great game which he usually does in the playoffs).
10. Peyton (he is great but all time he is overrated a tad imo)
11. Marino
12. Favre
13. Kelly
14. Warner
15. Bradshaw

HMs Tarkenton (was too bad in the playoffs to make the list) Aikman (deserves mention for sure here)

I may change a few of who i want 11-15 from time to time but i think my top 10 will stay in there for some time until someone better comes along.

Also if you wanna argue Brees over Elway, Starr and Rodgers arguments can be made (but in Rodgers case it is solely longevity as Rodgers is imo the better player and the more he plays the worse that argument gets).

However after those guys I don't see any reasonable way to claim he is better than anyone in my top 5. It should be said though as of now #9 all time is his floor. No way I put any guys beneath him on that list above him.
Yeah, Tarkenton needs to be on this list.

Greatest quarterbacks of all time ranking - John Clayton picks Tom Brady of New England Patriots as best NFL QB ever

I didn't see this posted. This is pretty incredible to me, really. I know what Clayton is, so I might have expected 8 or 9, but jeez. I've scrolled through the list 5 times to make sure I wasn't just looking past it.

In case you don't want to go over there and give him clicks, here's his list:

1. Brady
2. Montana
3. P. Manning
4. Unitas
5. Graham
6. Elway
7. Favre
8. Marino
9. Bradshaw
10. Rodgers
11. Starr
12. Young
13. Kelly
14. Staubach
15. Tarkenton

With the exception of Brady, this could be a list of QBs who possessed personal records which were surpassed by Brees. It is a certainty that Brees has excelled ALL of these QBs in many positive stats.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom