Brees not in Clayton's Top 15 QBs all time (1 Viewer)

Going to be such a tragedy if Drew never makes it to another superbowl. I was thinking about this yesterday... this will be Brady's SEVENTH superbowl appearance. I'm so disgustingly envious :covri:

You can make an argument that Brees is better than any of them, but Bradshaw being on the list is laughable. He can't hold Brees' jock.

I believe Bradshaw belongs. 4 Sb rings and 2-0 vs Roger Staubach in the big game is nothing to sneeze at. Both Qb's had defenses among the
best of all time. The Steel Curtain and Doomsday. That said,one can only dream of Drew with either of those defenses.

Jim Kelly is definitely one of the top 'field generals' of the game. Tough as nails, H3ll of a player and was on a one of the better teams for 8 years. The Bills went 97-47 during the regular season from 1988-1996, made 8 playoff appearances, made it to 5 conference championships, and lost four straight Super Bowls.

Take the same number of years for Brees and the Saints from 2006-2014. The Saints went 87-57, made 6 playoff appearances, made it to 2 conf champ games, and WON one Super Bowl.

Clayton touts the K-Gun Offense that Kelly led, but his career yards per game is 221.7. They did have a great running game, but that's worse than Blake Bortles, Jay Cutler, Ryan Tannehill, Sam Bradford and JOSH FREEMAN.

From 88-96, the K-Gun (or any Buffalo offense) cracked the top 5 in total offense 3 times. Only once were they the #1 offense.

From 06-16, The Saints had the #1 offense six times, and were top 5 three other seasons.

Looking at the numbers, Brees as thrown for 30,644 more yards, completed 2,962 more passes, thrown 228 more TDs, averaged 287.7 passing yards per game vs Kelly's 221.7, and was the NFL's passing leader 7 out of 11 years to Kelly's zero.

Kelly is missing two years of NFL stats because he played in the USFL in 84 and 85.

But Brees is missing FIVE years of his career because he played for Marty Shottenheimer.

Kelly was on an all-time great team that has an amazing four year run with a roster full of All-Pro and HoF players, but couldn't win the big game.

Brees?
-Turned a perennial loser into a legit Super Bowl threat
-WON a Super Bowl
-Help save the soul of an entire city and region
-Will break nearly every passing record by the time he is done playing

Going to be such a tragedy if Drew never makes it to another superbowl. I was thinking about this yesterday... this will be Brady's SEVENTH superbowl appearance. I'm so disgustingly envious :covri:
Brady is really good and has been quite durable as well.

But he's also played in one of the best situations ever seen by a QB. Great coaching and talent management. Always a very solid program from top to bottom with balance across the three phases including stable and solid defense and a pretty good running game.

Coaching staff also doesn't rely on a set formula. Over the years, if throwing the ball 50 times seems the call for a situation, they'll do it. If pounding the ball and running 30-40 times and being patient exploits a weakness of the opponent, they'll call the game that way too and stick with it. Definitely NOT a one dimensional approach in New England.

The best indicator I see of the lift Brady's career has gotten from his surroundings is what has happened to the Pats whenever Brady has been injured or had to sit out.

THEY WIN ANYWAY, even with Matt Cassel.

All those Super Bowl appearances are built on more than just Brady.

He is ahead of Marino, Tarkenton, and Kelly for sure.

A writer from ESPN has articles like this about two to three times a year. These types of reads deliver a lot of clicks for its platform. It's all about the money.

I wasn't born when half of these guys on this list played. He should have broken this down by era. What about Warren Moon?

Greatest quarterbacks of all time ranking - John Clayton picks Tom Brady of New England Patriots as best NFL QB ever

I didn't see this posted. This is pretty incredible to me, really. I know what Clayton is, so I might have expected 8 or 9, but jeez. I've scrolled through the list 5 times to make sure I wasn't just looking past it.

In case you don't want to go over there and give him clicks, here's his list:

1. Brady
2. Montana
3. P. Manning
4. Unitas
5. Graham
6. Elway
7. Favre
8. Marino
9. Bradshaw
10. Rodgers
11. Starr
12. Young
13. Kelly
14. Staubach
15. Tarkenton

Brees not in Clayton's Top 15 QBs all time

tumblr_m3a3p3C02O1r7mtpyo1_500.gif

If we ever want Brees to be respected like other QBs get and what he actually deserves then he needs another SB. We have to put together a good defense so he can make some runs. Really sad we wasted some of the best offenses ever because of the terrible defenses we have had. I can't imagine how aggravated Brees must be knowing if he just had a little help. It's not over yet though and we can atleast try to somewhat make up for some lost time. One more SB and they can't deny him the credit he deserves. Actually he could win 2 more and they would somehow figure a way to put Rodgers ahead of him.

Having watched everyone on that list play except for Tarkenton, Unitas, and Starr, I don't think anyone has a claim to be better than Marino.

I know he didn't win a Super Bowl, but that's not the most important metric. Dilfer isn't better than Marino, is he.

1) Marino
2) Brees

I don't feel like analyzing the rest. I will say that Montana benefited from the onset of the West Coast Offense and defenses not knowing how to deal with that yet.

Marino was a different class of dude.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom