Brees on last play (1 Viewer)

SaintlyHaven

Avid Saints Fan
Reaction score
Did Brees hurt his arm on the last play touchdown pass? I’m rewatching the replay now on NFL Network now and after that play it looked like he was grabbing his bicep. Then his pass on the 2 pt conversion was not even close. Has anyone heard anything on this?

PS — can’t believe I put myself through the misery of watching the game again but I was there in person so wanted to see it on tv

I mean he looked fine in post game interviews, wasn't grabbing - rubbing at it. Didn't look to be in pain.

The 2 point play IMO was more of a throwaway because there was just no one open. It was a double slant concept with Mike Thomas inside, and Tre'Quan outside. Linebacker jumped underneath Mike's slant, and Tre'Quan didn't get inside leverage, was stuck on the outer hip of the Cornerback... so Drew just had to throw it away as he was back pedalling because the pressure was getting there.

We'll find out for sure on Thursday injury report, a lot of key Quartberbacks around the league are banged up. Lamar has a thigh injury, and Mahomes has a badly bruised throwing hand. Going to be an interesting final 3 weeks of the season...

I mean he looked fine in post game interviews, wasn't grabbing - rubbing at it. Didn't look to be in pain.

The 2 point play IMO was more of a throwaway because there was just no one open. It was a double slant concept with Mike Thomas inside, and Tre'Quan outside. Linebacker jumped underneath Mike's slant, and Tre'Quan didn't get inside leverage, was stuck on the outer hip of the Cornerback... so Drew just had to throw it away as he was back pedalling because the pressure was getting there.

We'll find out for sure on Thursday injury report, a lot of key Quartberbacks around the league are banged up. Lamar has a thigh injury, and Mahomes has a badly bruised throwing hand. Going to be an interesting final 3 weeks of the season...
They show him again right before the Niners kick the winning field goal and he was still looking at and grabbing his arm. Seemed like he was worried about it.

They show him again right before the Niners kick the winning field goal and he was still looking at and grabbing his arm. Seemed like he was worried about it.
Probably one of those things that's painful in the moment, but fades the next day. I mean a player's helmet hit him right in the fleshy part of his bicep on a blitz, it's going to hurt.

I remember watching Drew's press conference after the Rams game, he had a very concerned look on his face, and said he didn't know what to expect did not smile at all. You knew he was hurt serious in Week 2.

Didn't see any of that in the interviews after this game, or with the sit down interview with Mike Nabors. There was no body language to indicate anything serious.

You don’t throw away on a 2 pt conversion.

He got hit on the arm a few plays earlier when he threw the wounded duck pass that MT tried to catch. Seemed more like a stinger than anything else.

It wasn't a throwaway as much as a forced errant throw when Brees was being pressured. He holds it any longer, he's getting sacked anyway. He needed another half second to give TQS a chance to come back to him.

If we're keeping in mind he was about Half a second away from getting hit by #57 (Greenlaw) and #91 (Arik Armstead) as he's falling away, all he can do is throw it somewhere where he thinks Tre'Quan should be.

He really only had 2 options on the play, first was Mike and he had 2 Defenders covering him with one undercutting the route, and Tre'Quan as the next read who had about 0 degrees of separation from his Defender.. even if Brees could step up with no pressure the ball is probably going right into the back of #23s helmet.

If we're keeping in mind he was about Half a second away from getting hit by #57 (Greenlaw) and #91 (Arik Armstead) as he's falling away, all he can do is throw it somewhere where he thinks Tre'Quan should be.

He really only had 2 options on the play, first was Mike and he had 2 Defenders covering him with one undercutting the route, and Tre'Quan as the next read who had about 0 degrees of separation from his Defender.. even if Brees could step up with no pressure the ball is probably going right into the back of #23s helmet.

Looks like TQS ran the wrong route. Drew cocked back, but then realized TQS was not breaking back. Just my $.02

I just watched the whole replay and noticed the exact same thing. At first it appeared to be his arm and later it looked like it was thumb related.

Looks like TQS ran the wrong route. Drew cocked back, but then realized TQS was not breaking back. Just my $.02
Bad route running technique, and shows his inconsistency.

First mistake is he false steps off the line of scrimmage. His first initial movement doesn't go anywhere, He needs to make an explosive first step outside, then sharply cut inside the Defender and try to win inside leverage.

Based on where he's lined up and the play call he has to know the Defender's number #1 priority in that situation is to not let him get inside, the Boundary corner always has the positional advantage in that situation because he can use the sideline as his help, as the fade to the back corner is an extremely difficult low % throw so his priority is guarding all that grass inside and the goal-line. Tre'Quan has to make him think he's going to the fade and then burst inside to the slant. (compare to how Mike runs his route)

He really just slow plays the route way too long and makes no attempt to come back inside, and by the time Drew throws the ball it's too late. The Cornerback already won and gave no room for a throw. Has to realize even if he isn't the primary read on the play, still have to have a sense of urgency to get back into the route and compete for the ball, work back to your QB.

Frustrating because he makes what could have been the play of the game the snap before, but then shows he's still a 2nd year receiver trying to learn the nuances of the Pro game.

Bad route running technique, and shows his inconsistency.

First mistake is he false steps off the line of scrimmage. His first initial movement doesn't go anywhere, He needs to make an explosive first step outside, then sharply cut inside the Defender and try to win inside leverage.

Based on where he's lined up and the play call he has to know the Defender's number #1 priority in that situation is to not let him get inside, the Boundary corner always has the positional advantage in that situation because he can use the sideline as his help, as the a fade to the back corner as an extremely difficult low % throw so his priority is guarding all that grass inside and the goal-line. Tre'Quan has to make him think he's going to the fade and then burst inside to the slant.

He really just slow plays the route way too long and makes no attempt to come back inside, and by the time Drew throws the ball it's too late. The Cornerback already won and gave no room for a throw. Has to realize even if he isn't the primary read on the play, still have to have a sense of urgency to get back into the route and compete for the ball, work back to your QB.

Frustrating because he makes what could have been the play of the game the snap before, but then shows he's still a 2nd year receiver trying to learn the nuances of the Pro game.
Exactly. Now, with all that being said, he’s teammates with someone who has the best footwork and route running skills. How is he not learning any of these things?

Did Brees hurt his arm on the last play touchdown pass? I’m rewatching the replay now on NFL Network now and after that play it looked like he was grabbing his bicep. Then his pass on the 2 pt conversion was not even close. Has anyone heard anything on this?

PS — can’t believe I put myself through the misery of watching the game again but I was there in person so wanted to see it on tv
I saw the same thing watching the game. Brees was definitely showing concern for something with his bicep area. He was rubbing and looking at it before the 2pt conversion play and the camera showed him on the sidelines at least 5 minutes later still flexing and looking at it with some concern.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom