Brees passes Brady in career QB rating for the very first time (1 Viewer)

He also moved his 2018 QB passer rating (123.8) past Rodgers 2011 record (122.5).

He also moved his 2018 QB passer rating (123.8) past Rodgers 2011 record (122.5).

And Rodgers took 36 sacks in 2011. And many were him not throwing to avoid an incomplete pass.

Drew is on pace for 18 total ( 9 to this point )

And Rodgers took 36 sacks in 2011. And many were him not throwing to avoid an incomplete pass.

Drew is on pace for 16 total ( 9 to this point )

Say what you want about ESPN's QBR formula, but it does take sacks into account, and it has Brees comfortably leading the league ahead of Mahomes at this moment. He is over 20 points better than Brady this season, who comes in as ESPN's 11th best QB of 2018. You can also search for best seasons of all time, and it has 2018 Brees ahead of 2011 Rodgers, 86.1 to 83.8. In fact, 2018 Brees trails only 2006 Manning (86.4) and 2007 Brady (87.0) for the best season of all time.

Side note: as further demonstration of Brees' consistent greatness, he is the only QB in NFL history with 3 of the top 10 Total QBR seasons of all time (#3, #6, #7) using this formula, leading Manning (#2, #9) and other notables such as Brady, Rodgers, and Ryan with just 1.....and he's not done yet.

The only thing I'd change about the QB rating is to incorporate sacks and the yardage lost. It's a negative play that all too often stymies drives. It's part of your responsibility to avoid sacks just like you try to avoid interceptions. So why should Rodgers and Wilson not be dinged for it?

Yes I agree. There is no doubt taking sacks helps guys like Rodgers and Wilson have higher career passer ratings. The down side is that a QB risks injury by taking sacks and hurts his team.

Also, as we would expect, QBs like Rodgers and Wilson who have a higher rate of sacks also put the ball on the ground more often. And that hurts their teams also.

It's hilarious to me that both Rodgers and Wilson rank that high when there is obvious flaws in their game.

Brees surpassed Brady by THROWING DOWN THE FIELD and not those 1-5 yard checkdown passes where the receiver cranks out a huge number of yards after reception.

Brady is only the GOAT to people who count rings and nothing else. He was never better than Manning.

The only thing I'd change about the QB rating is to incorporate sacks and the yardage lost. It's a negative play that all too often stymies drives. It's part of your responsibility to avoid sacks just like you try to avoid interceptions. So why should Rodgers and Wilson not be dinged for it?

Avoiding sacks is a HUGE deal in advanced stats. If you get into GOAT QB discussions on analytic communities, they bring this up a lot. It's often brought up to defend quarterbacks that don't get much respect.

Dan Marino was very, very good at avoiding sacks in his prime. So was Joe Montana and John Elway back in their respective era. Elway and Marino in particular do not get much credit for this and they should.

Rodgers' mobility has always been overrated. People go nuts at him moving outside of the pocket without the irony that this is usually where he gets himself injured. He don't take injuries doing daredevil stuff like Steve Young with his crazy running around and taking hits up front. The bulk of Rodgers' injuries have come from him moving out of the pocket and then getting slammed to the ground.

Avoiding sacks is something Rodgers has always had an issue with. Teams figured out how to stop him by 2015 going back to that Denver game; blitz him up front and then press coverage on the receivers. It's virtually the same strategy the Giants ran to beat the Pats in the 2007 and 2011 SBs.

Rodgers would rather take a huge sack, than risk throwing the ball down the field in a tight spot and risking the possible interception. It's one of the reasons his TD/INT ratio is so amazing. He'll protect his stats first and foremost.

Russell Wilson has always gotten a number of excuses due to Seattle's bad O-line but he's never been a top elite QB at least in my book. We saw yesterday him overthrowing on that final pass vs the Rams and ending the game. The INT he threw in the SB would've been a genius pass play call if it was Steve Young throwing to Terrell Owens (a bigger receiver and a more accurate QB). Wilson has never been a great down field thrower.

Drew is playing awesome - even for Drew.

I posted the below research I did in a thread about Aaron Rodgers. It think it would apply somewhat to Brady's passer rating. Compared to Drew, Brady appears more willing to be sacked than to throw the ball away. I am kind of amazed that Brady is still holding it together at his age considering the number of career sacks (468) Brady has taken.

Here is my past post:

If my calculations are correct, here are some of the following CAREER rates of sacks per attempts:

Brees - about 1 sack every 24.7 attempts (387 career sacks)
Brady - about 1 sack every 19.6 attempts (468 career sacks)
Manning - 1 sack every 31 attempts (303 career sacks)
Rodgers - about 1 sack every 13.5 attempts (388 career sacks)

By the way, Ben Roethlisberger leads the NFL with 489 career sacks taken, and Russell Wilson, who has the second overall passer rating of active QBs (99.5), takes a sack 1 time every 11.1 attempts - highest rate out of all these guys.

Thanks for posting this.

Just another reason I'll always take Manning and Brees over every other QB since the turn of the millennium. The most people can argue against both of them is "they lose in the playoffs", which don't take into account their teams' defense and special teams crapping the bed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom