Brees Quitely having a great season (1 Viewer)

Yeah, I’m sure it was pretty emotionally trying for you to say that someone else is a better QB than Brees. You really set your personal feelings aside there.

Yes it was actually. I've always hated Tom Brady and believed the "magic" there was all Bellicheck, the bad division, etc etc etc. I've always thought Brees was a "better" quarterback even though it was hard to explain away 6 Super Bowl wins and all those playoff wins by Brady.

If he went to Tampa Bay and flopped, my suspicions would be confirmed. We would finally have the proof. Alas...it's not looking that way so far.

It doesn't help that Brees has choked in the playoffs the last three years. That's totally caused me to sour somewhat when it comes to his legacy.

I'm not talking about the CGM rumor crap. I'm talking about a guy telling our quarterback to "shut the F up" and then he and his teammates hit the field and just visibly aren't playing hard for us. Maybe that's why all our safeties suck, I don't know. I think our team unity has taken a hit, just a gut feeling with some thin evidence obviously.
These are professional football players whose very jobs depend on how well they perform their duties both on and off the field. No player is purposely playing 'less hard' to try and spite another player on their team. These men are on record as saying that after the issue was discussed among them, the have buried the hatchet and got on with the season. This is not a lingering feud no matter how hard the media is trying to make it such. The locker room is intact despite these grown men having their own lives and opinions outside of football. It's time for everyone to get over all that drama. I know the team has.

It doesn't help that Brees has choked in the playoffs the last three years. That's totally caused me to sour somewhat when it comes to his legacy.
When did you first overlook the TEAM aspect of the game of football? Just curious. :unsure:

When did you first overlook the TEAM aspect of the game of football? Just curious. :unsure:

When a quarterback plays poorly the team suffers. Especially when he's throwing picks, that's not helping your team. Your comment is just childish, sorry. The playoffs are where the best rise to the occation, legends are made, songs are written, women swoon and so forth. Outside of 2009, Brees has been pretty meh to bad in the playoffs. Brady's gotten it done, and Brees hasn't. And like it or not, that is a running narrative throughout his career when it comes to the "best ever" discussion.

Of course I wish Brees could throw 40+ yard lasers like Tom is. Only people with their heads in the sand don't think that's an important aspect of the modern NFL offense.

WHAT? Statistically they throw the same distance!!!!

More stat trickery. Parse out the games where we were eliminated. Specifically in the 2017-2019 years where Brees inexplicably fell apart against the Rams and the Vikings twice.

So... cherry pick in your favor?

When a quarterback plays poorly the team suffers. Especially when he's throwing picks, that's not helping your team. Your comment is just childish, sorry. The playoffs are where the best rise to the occation, legends are made, songs are written, women swoon and so forth. Outside of 2009, Brees has been pretty meh to bad in the playoffs. Brady's gotten it done, and Brees hasn't. And like it or not, that is a running narrative throughout his career when it comes to the "best ever" discussion.

1) You made the argument to me that we should play Jameis Winston a couple weeks ago, and dismissed his propensity to throwing picks!
2) You only want to look at the games that he lost. Yet, I can remember 2 games that he lost right off the top of my head that his offense scored >30 points. But one game you're speaking about in particular, Brees brought us back and secured a win only for an epic fail by our secondary! In fact, that happened twice: 2011 and 2017.
3) He would've faced Brady in the SB if it weren't for quite possibly the worst non-call in NFL history in 2018. You think Brady gets victimized by non-calls THAT egregious? Hell no. If only the refs didn't turn into Mr. Magoo every time Brees takes a snap maybe we would've won a few more of those games.

Can't wait to see how you move the goal posts this time to make a case that you wish Brees retired.

Yep, you must be right. :freak7: I think I need to have a long talk with Drew about allowing Diggs to catch that walk-off TD pass,... and the flag that he forgot to throw on Robey-Coleman,... oh and the push-off touchdown that he allowed in overtime last year.

Those were all mistakes that a QB on the sidelines should have been able to overcome. :jpshakehead:

Let's face it, you are the kind of person who believes that one person is always responsible when you either make it to the SuperBowl or when you don't. Yes, quarterbacking is the most critical position of all the players in the game. But the adage is still true that quarterbacks get too much praise when their team wins, and too much blame when their team loses. You can be that person if you so choose. But I'll never be that kind of Saints fan.

Yep, you must be right. :freak7: I think I need to have a long talk with Drew about allowing Diggs to catch that walk-off TD pass,... and the flag that he forgot to throw on Robey-Coleman,... oh and the push-off touchdown that he allowed in overtime last year.

Those were all mistakes that a QB on the sidelines should have been able to overcome. :jpshakehead:

Let's face it, you are the kind of person who believes that one person is always responsible when you either make it to the SuperBowl or when you don't. Yes, quarterbacking is the most critical position of all the players in the game. But the adage is still true that quarterbacks get too much praise when their team wins, and too much blame when their team loses. You can be that person if you so choose. But I'll never be that kind of Saints fan.

I love how you destroy your own argument. It's a team sport, but blame it ALL on the defense? Was that irony or just hypocrisy....

Don't call yourself a Saints fan, you're a Brees fan. If you are unable to find a single fault, you are interested in him more than the team. There's NO way you can excuse his performances in those games. HE put us down 17-0 in 2017 with only 117 first half yards and two picks. HE went 0-3 with an interception in overtime against the Rams. HE completed only 8 passes with zero touchdowns and a pick in the first half last year against the Vikings.

You people will call for the firing of Dennis Allen. You guys will call for just about every player on the defense to be cut. You'll hate every time Taysom comes on the field. On and on it goes. But don't anyone DARE say so much as a single criticism of Drew Brees. Then the knives come out, and you wanna lecture me about team sports and being a fan? Hypocrite, plain and simple.

There is nothing wrong with thinking that Brady is a better QB than Brees, or anyone else. He is an objectively amazing player who has about as good of a resume as you will ever find in sports.

But there is absolutely something to the team aspect of football that people tend to overlook.

And for all of this "Brees is bad in the playoffs", "Brees is just a regular season player", and "Brady gets it done and Brees doesn't" stuff, well:

Although it is close, Drew Brees' career playoff passer rating is actually higher than his regular season passer rating.

Drew Brees' career playoff passer rating is almost 10 points higher than Tom Brady's playoff passer rating.

Drew Brees' playoff passer rating is also higher than Tom Brady's career regular season passer rating.

Even if you take away Brees' most successful playoff run (2009), his per game playoff production STILL compares favorably to Brady.

Brees (not counting 2009):
completed 66% of his passes, 282 yards per game, 1.73 tds and .8 ints per game.
Brady:
completed 63% of his passes, 278 yards per game, 1.78 tds and .9 ints per game.

Brees also averaged a much higher yards per attempt.

And again, that is without Brees having the benefit of his best playoff performance. I wonder how the numbers would look if you compared Brees and Brady's playoff performances, but took away Brady's best numbers?

None of this is to say that you have to rank Brees above Brady, or to suggest that Brady isn't a fantastic post-season QB, who is cool under pressure and all that.

But I think it does indicate that some people are greatly exaggerating when they talk about how bad Brees has been in the playoffs. He was bad in last year's Vikings game and while it is true that he has been less than perfect in other playoff games, that is certainly true of every quarterback, even the great ones...even Tom Brady.

As great as Brady is, even he is not immune to having the types of games some posters would call "bad" or "chokes", if it were Brees.

The fact is that it's simply very hard to win in the NFL playoffs and no qb is going to have gaudy numbers or Madden-like passer ratings every time. This goes back to Bill's previous point about how important the team aspect of the game is, ESPECIALLY in the playoffs.

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with thinking that Brady is a better QB than Brees, or anyone else. He is an objectively amazing player who has about as good of a resume as you will ever find in sports.

But there is absolutely something to the team aspect of football that people tend to overlook.

And for all of this "Brees is bad in the playoffs", "Brees is just a regular season player", and "Brady gets it done and Brees doesn't" stuff, well:

Although it is close, Drew Brees' career playoff passer rating is actually higher than his regular season passer rating.

Drew Brees' career playoff passer rating is almost 10 points higher than Tom Brady's playoff passer rating.

Drew Brees' playoff passer rating is also higher than Tom Brady's career regular season passer rating.

Even if you take away Brees' most successful playoff run (2009), his per game playoff production STILL compares favorably to Brady.

Brady:

None of this is to say that you have to rank Brees above Brady, or to suggest that Brady isn't a fantastic post-season QB, who is cool under pressure and all that.

But I think it does indicate that some people are greatly exaggerating when they talk about how bad Brees has been in the playoffs. He was bad in last year's Vikings game and while it is true that he has been less than perfect in other playoff games, that is certainly true of every quarterback, even the great ones...even Tom Brady.

As great as Brady is, even he is not immune to having the types of games some posters would call "bad" or "chokes", if it were Brees.

The fact is that it's simply very hard to win in the NFL playoffs and no qb is going to have gaudy numbers or Madden-like passer ratings every time. This goes back to Bill's previous point about how important the team aspect of the game is, ESPECIALLY in the playoffs.

This is a great post.

I'm far from a Brady fan, but I do think he is the GOAT. I think Brees could have been had our playoff fortunes gone just a little differently.

Unfortunately we will never know, I just hope our Saints get one more SB with Brees under center....and many more with whomever is our new QB going forward....

WHAT? Statistically they throw the same distance!!!!

So... cherry pick in your favor?

1) You made the argument to me that we should play Jameis Winston a couple weeks ago, and dismissed his propensity to throwing picks!
2) You only want to look at the games that he lost. Yet, I can remember 2 games that he lost right off the top of my head that his offense scored >30 points. But one game you're speaking about in particular, Brees brought us back and secured a win only for an epic fail by our secondary! In fact, that happened twice: 2011 and 2017.
3) He would've faced Brady in the SB if it weren't for quite possibly the worst non-call in NFL history in 2018. You think Brady gets victimized by non-calls THAT egregious? Hell no. If only the refs didn't turn into Mr. Magoo every time Brees takes a snap maybe we would've won a few more of those games.

Can't wait to see how you move the goal posts this time to make a case that you wish Brees retired.

1. His "picks" don't matter until he comes here and throws them. What are you even talking about? That was at Tampa Bay, you can't just assume once he's on an actually good team he would throw those picks. Seriously you are using the lowest most cheap form of internet debate with that example. The two situations are not the same. If Winston got the nod and stunk it up here, I would gladly tell you I was wrong. So what's your issue?

2. Yes welcome to sports discussions. When you win you're a hero, lose and you're a zero. Point?

3. That no call didn't end the game. Brees went 0-3 in overtime with a HORRIBLE interception that sealed our fate. And that's why he didn't get to face Tom in the SB. A game that I honestly believe Brees would have won. But with a homefield advantage, and a 'Dome so loud the Rams offense could barely function, Brees flat out STUNK that game. Blame the refs all you want. He had all the chances in the world to put that game away even without going into OT, and he just didn't get it done.

I don't have to move any goalposts. What are you even talking about?

I'm quitely disappointed that this thread has -- for the most part but not completely -- ignored jasonw's typo in the thread title.

Brady:

And again, that is without Brees having the benefit of his best playoff performance. I wonder how the numbers would look if you compared Brees and Brady's playoff performances, but took away Brady's best numbers?

You're right, Brees is stats-master there's no disputing that. It's just that Tom has all the amazing stories. The comebacks, the incredible performances etc etc. I hate it, I'm sick of hearing about them, but there they are. When the chips are down, he just kept finding ways to win over and over again. Even insane 28-3 Super Bowl comebacks.

Where are Drew's?? Everyone just blames the defense, it feels cheap and easy. If Tom was playing the Rams, he wouldn't have gone 0-3 and threw a pick in overtime. He just would not have. It would have been just another amazing ZOMG GOAT OMGWTFBBQ GOAT GOAT comeback win to get in the Super Bowl. We don't get those, we just don't.

You guys think I'm some Drew Brees hater, but my heart honestly hurts having to type all this. But how many times can fans suffer a post-season heartbreak before they want a change??? Does that make us bad people or something???

1. His "picks" don't matter until he comes here and throws them. What are you even talking about? That was at Tampa Bay, you can't just assume once he's on an actually good team he would throw those picks. Seriously you are using the lowest most cheap form of internet debate with that example. The two situations are not the same. If Winston got the nod and stunk it up here, I would gladly tell you I was wrong. So what's your issue?

So, as you have stated in another thread, the Pats won all those SB's because of Bellicheck and his system, right, not Brady so much. So I guess you are saying Jamies threw all those picks because of TB's system? Ok....

Any coach that would start Jamies Winston over Drew Brees needs to have his head examined....

I'm quitely disappointed that this thread has -- for the most part but not completely -- ignored jasonw's typo in the thread title.

Nice catch....quitely nice....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom