Brees Quitely having a great season (1 Viewer)

I love how you destroy your own argument. It's a team sport, but blame it ALL on the defense? Was that irony or just hypocrisy....

Don't call yourself a Saints fan, you're a Brees fan. If you are unable to find a single fault, you are interested in him more than the team. There's NO way you can excuse his performances in those games. HE put us down 17-0 in 2017 with only 117 first half yards and two picks. HE went 0-3 with an interception in overtime against the Rams. HE completed only 8 passes with zero touchdowns and a pick in the first half last year against the Vikings.

You people will call for the firing of Dennis Allen. You guys will call for just about every player on the defense to be cut. You'll hate every time Taysom comes on the field. On and on it goes. But don't anyone DARE say so much as a single criticism of Drew Brees. Then the knives come out, and you wanna lecture me about team sports and being a fan? Hypocrite, plain and simple.
I'm a Saints fan first & foremost.
In all the playoff games I mentioned Brees did enough to win us those games. I never said that he was perfect or that he couldn't have played better. Drew happens to be our QB right now, and as such I will pull for him just as I pull for the defensive backs that have been allowing some incredibly big plays by our opponents lately. But keep in mind that regarding the 2017 playoff game in Minnesota it was just as easy to say that Williams should have made the tackle on Diggs as it was to say that Drew should have led his team to more touchdowns in that game. And much the same can be said about the other two heartbreaking playoff losses that I mentioned. But I'll let YOU determine what was the biggest "choke" as you so eloquently expressed earlier in this thread. No, Brees is NOT above criticism when he underperforms, but by far Drew is not the biggest issue we have right now with our team. But one thing is sure, when the next starting QB is standing behind the center for the Saints, I will be equally supportive of him when someone is erroneously accusing him for all the woes & losses we may be having.

1. His "picks" don't matter until he comes here and throws them. What are you even talking about? That was at Tampa Bay, you can't just assume once he's on an actually good team he would throw those picks. Seriously you are using the lowest most cheap form of internet debate with that example. The two situations are not the same. If Winston got the nod and stunk it up here, I would gladly tell you I was wrong. So what's your issue?

2. Yes welcome to sports discussions. When you win you're a hero, lose and you're a zero. Point?

3. That no call didn't end the game. Brees went 0-3 in overtime with a HORRIBLE interception that sealed our fate. And that's why he didn't get to face Tom in the SB. A game that I honestly believe Brees would have won. But with a homefield advantage, and a 'Dome so loud the Rams offense could barely function, Brees flat out STUNK that game. Blame the refs all you want. He had all the chances in the world to put that game away even without going into OT, and he just didn't get it done.

I don't have to move any goalposts. What are you even talking about?
1. I see. It's okay for Jameis to throw 30 picks but if Brees throws half of that here, we should try the guy who throws twice as many.

2. You're cherry picking. Nobody is just cherry picking games we win. You want to cherry pick the games we lose. Consider the whole picture. I can pick apart anybody in NFL history if I look at only their bad performances.

3. That no-call SHOULD HAVE ended the game because it was so blatantly obvious. He went 26-40 249 yds and 2 TDs that game. He didn't stink. So you tell me, how do you put a game away as QB when the referees allow your receivers to be shoved to the ground?

You dislike Brees now and wish he'd retire. It's okay to say. It's an understandable position. But don't BS people because they're going to call you out on it.

I'm quitely disappointed that this thread has -- for the most part but not completely -- ignored jasonw's typo in the thread title.
That's because I didn't want NativeFan to also accuse me of being the Grammar Nazi. :hihi:

So, as you have stated in another thread, the Pats won all those SB's because of Bellicheck and his system, right, not Brady so much.

That was before Brady started to look unstoppable. That was before he put a clown suit on Aaron Rodgers and kicked him down the stairs. What do you want from me? We've never seen Brady play for another team so there was no comparison example.

Now Brady looks like he's 30 again while the Patriots are falling apart, so that changes the narrative quite a bit. I never said I had some freaking crystal ball. You guys are trying too hard to destroy people instead of just discussing the merits of the argument.

You're right, Brees is stats-master there's no disputing that. It's just that Tom has all the amazing stories. The comebacks, the incredible performances etc etc. I hate it, I'm sick of hearing about them, but there they are. When the chips are down, he just kept finding ways to win over and over again. Even insane 28-3 Super Bowl comebacks.

Where are Drew's?? Everyone just blames the defense, it feels cheap and easy. If Tom was playing the Rams, he wouldn't have gone 0-3 and threw a pick in overtime. He just would not have. It would have been just another amazing ZOMG GOAT OMGWTFBBQ GOAT GOAT comeback win to get in the Super Bowl. We don't get those, we just don't.

You guys think I'm some Drew Brees hater, but my heart honestly hurts having to type all this. But how many times can fans suffer a post-season heartbreak before they want a change??? Does that make us bad people or something???
Once again, you are ignoring the team aspect of the game that allows for Brady to have those moments and stories (which is not meant as a dig on him).

Off the top of my head, in 2011, 2017, and 2018, the the game should have ended on a Drew Brees game-winning drive, but factors outside of his control either allowed the other team to out-right win, or at least cancel out the game-winning drive.

If an obvious flag gets thrown and the defense doesn't have 2 of the biggest collapses in playoff history, then that's 3 more moments and amazing stories for Brees. And even if he didn't have the greatest game he ever played, you have pretty much admitted that if it were Brady who had the exact same game, you would have lauded him for "getting it done when it counted" and "finding a way to win".

You are allowing for imperfections with one qb, but not the other, and are not taking the team aspect of the game into consideration and how other areas of the team might be responsible for those late-game winning (or losing) moments.

That was before Brady started to look unstoppable. That was before he put a clown suit on Aaron Rodgers and kicked him down the stairs. What do you want from me? We've never seen Brady play for another team so there was no comparison example.

Now Brady looks like he's 30 again while the Patriots are falling apart, so that changes the narrative quite a bit. I never said I had some freaking crystal ball. You guys are trying too hard to destroy people instead of just discussing the merits of the argument.
Brady is literally having a similar season to Brees on a team with a pretty good amount of talent on offense and a much better defense.

EDIT: furthermore, the Saints beat the Bucs.

Now Brady looks like he's 30 again while the Patriots are falling apart
Maybe that has more to do with who the Patriots picked up to replace Brady.
As you seem to be suggesting, winning or losing is only determined by the guy who is playing under center. :scratch:

1. I see. It's okay for Jameis to throw 30 picks but if Brees throws half of that here, we should try the guy who throws twice as many.

2. You're cherry picking. Nobody is just cherry picking games we win. You want to cherry pick the games we lose. Consider the whole picture. I can pick apart anybody in NFL history if I look at only their bad performances.

3. That no-call SHOULD HAVE ended the game because it was so blatantly obvious. He went 26-40 249 yds and 2 TDs that game. He didn't stink. So you tell me, how do you put a game away as QB when the referees allow your receivers to be shoved to the ground?

You dislike Brees now and wish he'd retire. It's okay to say. It's an understandable position. But don't BS people because they're going to call you out on it.

1. No, you don't see. Are you being obtuse? Winston's slate is clean now, he's a Saint. I cannot say he would throw 30 picks for us, neither can you. So it doesn't matter. It's not even relevant to this threat. What are you even trying to do with this weird Winston crossover narrative? Just stop, it's dumb.

2. Well yeah, duh? When you lose a playoff game in the NFL, you go home. Maybe you didn't know that. So yes, I'm analyzing the failures we've suffered recently under Drew Brees. What are you confused about?

3. "So you tell me, how do you put a game away as QB when the referees allow your receivers to be shoved to the ground?"

You don't go 0-3 with an interception in overtime. That's how. You man up and march down the field and get your team a win. That's what greatness is and that's what the greats do.

"You dislike Brees"

Stop it. Just stop. That's BS. Brees is very likeable. This isn't about "liking" someone.

Brady is literally having a similar season to Brees on a team with a pretty good amount of talent on offense and a much better defense.

So says the stats. Watch a Tampa Bay game, they are not similar. Brees has made maybe two "dime" passes all season. Brady is throwing those every game.

If we can't stretch the field we will lose in the playoffs. I don't care that you don't understand that or don't agree. That's the way it is and the way it has been for us.

Do you want an amazing regular season with all the passing records in the world, or do you want a Super Bowl?

1. No, you don't see. Are you being obtuse? Winston's slate is clean now, he's a Saint. I cannot say he would throw 30 picks for us, neither can you. So it doesn't matter. It's not even relevant to this threat. What are you even trying to do with this weird Winston crossover narrative? Just stop, it's dumb.

2. Well yeah, duh? When you lose a playoff game in the NFL, you go home. Maybe you didn't know that. So yes, I'm analyzing the failures we've suffered recently under Drew Brees. What are you confused about?

3. "So you tell me, how do you put a game away as QB when the referees allow your receivers to be shoved to the ground?"

You don't go 0-3 with an interception in overtime. That's how. You man up and march down the field and get your team a win. That's what greatness is and that's what the greats do.

"You dislike Brees"

Stop it. Just stop. That's BS. Brees is very likeable. This isn't about "liking" someone.

1) How's his slate clean? We gonna pick up Andy Dalton and his slate is gonna be clean? Don't project with that "obtuse" accusation. You have to consider someones history when considering to start them over someone like Brees. I brought up Winstons picks because you brought up Brees throwing picks, and you made the argument to me a couple weeks ago about how we should start Jameis.

2) Then add in the games the Saints won! Don't wanna do that, do you? No, you want to cherry pick to form your own little narrative when, in reality, he's done pretty well in the playoffs as a whole.

3) Yeah, right. Man up and win against a stacked deck! Can't get blackjack if you don't play! Unfortunately the deck is loaded with 2s.

Someone can be likeable and you dislike them. You seem to dislike him because most of your posts talk about how we should be rolling with someone else at QB.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom