Brees Quitely having a great season (1 Viewer)

jasonsw

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So far this year In 6 games this year

1618 Pass Yrds 72.6 % Comp. 11 TD 3 INT
105.8 RTG. 81 QBR

2009 in 15 games
4388 Pass Yrds 70.6 % Comp. 34TD 11 INT
109.6 RTG 83.4 QBR

The TDs and yards are a little down but Drews 2020 season stats so far is very comparable to his 2009 year.

I've been pretty critical of Brees this year but he has really been putting together a great stretch.

I think the most important stat for Drew this year is going to be his interception number. At this stage in his career he needs to really protect the ball and if he does that then we have a shot to win any game.

Drew has has made some head-scratching throws this year, but I attribute it to the shortened offseason, and he has a few more receivers to work into the mix. He has only had Mike T for 1 game, and Cook has been hurt, so all Brees has had were TQS and a bunch of receivers that he has little chemistry.

Now we see TQS coming on, and Calloway looks like he has gained Drew's trust because he has been clutch. Cook looks like he's healthy again after the bye, and Manny Sanders has become a go-to option too (before C19).

I expect Drew to be Drew from here-out... and he'll need to be "Drew" because I think we'll be in a bunch of shootouts. Our defense has been a huge disappointment so far sans the Tampa game.

No real offseason or preseason. Of course it was going to take him some time. He's not what he was, but he's still gonna throw for 4000+ and 30+ TDs. His INTs continue to be at near career lows as well just like the last few seasons.

This man should play as long as he wants.

Our current news cycle is down to like 6 hours with maximum reaction to everything. With modern tech, cameras everywhere and tons of people to pay to analyze every inch of the game, of course Drew struggling for a game or 2 was the end of the world.

Extending plays is the main issue, and what he does when a play breaks down. That's what we have to watch for in December and January, when we struggle. Winter, late season and playoffs all equal, offensive rhythm disrupted, and we have not found a way to get past that yet. If we can't get over that hump in the playoffs this season, 4 in a row, the red carpet should be immediately rolled-up.

Here is my main issue with Brees this year. I get that no offseason, new receivers, knocking the rust off...but, Brady does not seem to be having the same issues outside of his first game.

Brady goes to a team of complete strangers and is balling out. Some of our receivers have been here for years (TQS) and people are making up some "chemistry" or "trust" excuse or whatever. I don't get it.

Maybe the "chemistry" issues are his dumb disastrous comments in the offseason because something just isn't fully clicking with this team right now. The offense does look better lately but we're still clawing and scratching with 14 play drives for points on the back of amazing Kamara heroic-effort plays every week. If this is really our peak, no way that gets it done in the playoffs.

Brady goes to a team of complete strangers and is balling out. Some of our receivers have been here for years (TQS) and people are making up some "chemistry" or "trust" excuse or whatever. I don't get it.

Maybe the "chemistry" issues are his dumb disastrous comments in the offseason because something just isn't fully clicking with this team right now. The offense does look better lately but we're still clawing and scratching with 14 play drives for points on the back of amazing Kamara heroic-effort plays every week. If this is really our peak, no way that gets it done in the playoffs.
We've played 5 games without the best WR in the NFL and 1 with backup WR's starting and we are 4-2. The offense is starting to heat up and when MT comes back 100%, the offense might start becoming the offense we all were expecting. The biggest issue so far this year has been the defensive backfield and how obscenely lost the DB's appear to be on a regular basis.

Here is my main issue with Brees this year. I get that no offseason, new receivers, knocking the rust off...but, Brady does not seem to be having the same issues outside of his first game.

Brady is more physically gifted than Brees - He's taller and has a stronger arm, so he relies less on timing and rhythm. So it's probably easier for Brady to just step in and do the old "Rock and Fire".

Drew has always had to outwork everyone else to achieve his greatness due to some physical limitations.

Also, Brees has a challenging offseason with the last-minute decision to unretire and the backlash due to his kneeling comments. Brady knew he was coming back and was welcomed like a messiah to the Tampa franchise. Probably a little easier for him to feel comfortable and acclimate since he didn't have to "win back" the locker room, like perhaps Drew did.

Lots of reasons why Drew would be taking a little longer to get settled than Tom Brady.

it could be the offseason comments, because Brady's entire team is balling out and playing at a high level, not just Brady. He threw for 166 yards against the same Packers that destroyed us, and they won 38 - 10. His scoring defense is top 8 and they have also gotten 13 turnovers. If you look at the play by play, Brady has a significant amount of more 3 and outs, but his defense gets the ball back, so he has more opportunities. Our defense has 5 turnovers and is bottom 8 in scoring defense.

Also the penalties committed by the Bucs are almost equal (slightly less) to the penalties committed by their opponents. It's naïve to think there isn't a tiny bit of favoritism for whatever reason. We have over 500 yards in penalties but our opponents have less than 200? The Saints are first in penalty yards but dead last for opponents penalty yards.

For people talking trash on Brees deep ball, Brady threw a 40 yarder to Evans against the Chargers looked like a big rainbow no zip etc, Mike Evans even pushed off to get separation, no doubt we get called for opi on the same play too. Brady is also dinking and dunking for most of his plays but I guess he gets a pass because he can occasionally lob it up there let his guys push off and come down with it lol

You keep pushing this Kamara narrative but how do you expect Brees not to utilize his best playmaker? Brees is still getting it done with other guys, Sanders with 14 catches a few weeks ago, and an UDFA with 8 last game. Playmakers make plays and that's what we expect Kamara to do with other guys out. He's on pace for McCaffrey receiving numbers which we all knew he was capable of doing, yet he might fall short of 1000 yards rushing. Receiving yardage is generally less wear and tear than rushing so if he's going to be overused I'd rather it be that way.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom