Brees rebuilds confidence among Saints (1 Viewer)

GoldenWarrior

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
NEW ORLEANS -- On a day off, Drew Brees stood on a green expanse of quiet, empty practice fields, wearing shorts and a T-shirt, holding a football in his right hand.

He dropped back, glancing side-to-side as if looking off imaginary defensive backs, then zipped tight spirals to an assistant coach, over and over. That's how he rewarded himself for a 314-yard, three-touchdown passing performance a day earlier in a victory over Tampa Bay.

It was a prime example why new Saints coach Sean Payton coveted Brees when he became a free agent last winter, despite Brees having undergone complicated throwing shoulder surgery to repair his labrum and rotator cuff.

"He's very intelligent, and from a leadership standpoint and all the other things that go into playing that position, that's something he's very comfortable with, and something he's done successfully for a long time," Payton said. "The first step was rehabbing the injury, and then the adjustment to a new team. He's played extremely well. He's a big reason why we've achieved what we have so far."

There is very little evidence of Brees' injury now. The quarterback feels he's getting stronger every day, and believes he can be an even better quarterback.

Brees was one player who could not be blamed for New Orleans' 38-31 loss at Pittsburgh last Sunday, throwing for a career-high 398 yards and a touchdown with no turnovers; three fumbles by teammates did in New Orleans. Through nine games, Brees leads the NFL in yards passing with 2,604.

He's thrown for 15 touchdowns. His seven interceptions are higher than he'd like, although several of those were tipped by intended receivers.

Brees could rub his achievements in the face of doubters. Instead, he downplays talk of being a leading contender for league MVP.

"Everybody has a hand in that. It's an honor to be considered for those kinds of things. I've got to credit everybody around me," Brees said. "Obviously, just what we're doing as an offense -- I love the system. Coach Payton and the rest of the coaches are doing a heck of a job."

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=148858

And all this from a guy only 10 months removed from major shoulder surgery...

Good to see that the Sporting News recognizes Drew's efforts. If it ain't a Vick, Brady, Rothelisberger, or Manning, you won't see much about it on ESPN.

Brees is making big throws and the deep throws that he hardly ever did while playing Martyball. No wonder he loves the offense....the Saints receiving corps is far superiior to any group he threw to on the Chargers. No wonder he is lieading the league in yardage!!!

Go Brees!!! Go Saints!!!

Thanks Golden Warrior.. Great post. :worthy:

"...There is very little evidence of Brees' injury now. The quarterback feels he's getting stronger every day, and believes he can be an even better quarterback...."

That's a pleasant but scary thought, isn't it? Drew being even better than he has been up to now.

Last edited:
So he wants to be an even better QB, huh? Wow.
Hey, D Coordinators, I am glad I'm not U. :hihi:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom