Brees reportedly willing to take a home town discount (1 Viewer)

His dead cap is unmovable at the start of the new league year. That date and time I believe is March 18th @4 EST. That will be the deadline for a new Brees deal. I also think they would prefer to sign it after the new CBA gets approved (which is no guarantee) late Saturday to early Sunday. That means the hot spot for a new deal is March 16 or March 17. That is when I will be refreshing like a son of a gun!!
But Saintrob told me that we could wait to sign Brees much later and it would let us franchise Bridgewater as well as tag Taysom. He seemed so sure of it ??

Based on where QB contracts have gone since his last deal 2 years ago, $25 million a year right now would be an even deeper home town discount.
Honestly, the only QBs in the league today that I see being worth the cap % some QBs are eating up these days are Russel Wilson and Patrick Mahommes.

Goff, Ryan, JimmyG, Big Ben, Rodgers, Wentz, Cousins, Brisset, Stafford, Carr, etc... All make over 25M /yr. And to me, Jackson is a fad that will pass.
NONE of these guys are winning without a strong roster behind them. The same strong roster their team can't afford due to their contracts.

Even considering that Mahommes and Wilson actually are worth that kind of money, (Mahommes isn't getting paid that much yet) I think it does too much
damage to a roster breaking the bank for a QB. Mahommes is awesome. When he "gets his" if they can't surround him with weapons like Hill, Kelce,
Watkins, etc... and provide him with a strong OL and/or afford a defense that can keep them in games... will he still be worth that kind cap commitment?
Wilson is making chicken salad with chicken poo, and in my opinion... he's the only reason they're even still in the discussion. But there's just not enough
cap room to pay him that kind of money, keep key veterans, and sign more weapons.

I actually like where the Titans are at roster and cap wise. Between Mariota and Tannehill, they have 13M /yr dedicated to the QB position. Very few "stars" on the
team, but solid and deep across the board. And they have 50+ million in cap space to make it better. Granted, they're going to have to pay Tannehill now, but I
don't see him joining the Top-Dollar QB club. Cut some "done" vets, draft smart, and sign a couple more play makers, and they're going to be right back in the thick
of it next year.

I know how hard it is to acquire a legit high level NFL QB... but I still can't understand how they're worth as much of teams' caps as they're taking up these days.

$25 million was a home-town discount.
I'm hoping for a little extra home-town this time.

He had multiple offers for $30m two years ago. That's $10m he's given up for New Orleans so far, and now at least one more year's worth of discount is coming in 2020. I really hope this man is properly appreciated in his retirement and if he endorses a product that all Saints fans buy that product, or if he makes an appearance for himself or for a charity you pull that checkbook out, and if you see him walking towards a puddle you jump on the ground and let him step upon your back. And if he gets in scandals or engages in some questionable behavior you stick with him. If one day he endorses the KKK, you bite your lip and say "well there are two sides?"

I've never seen a player at this stage of his career sacrifice so much for a team. Bless Drew Brees.

Last edited:
He had multiple offers for $30m two years ago. That's $10m he's given up for New Orleans so far, and now at least one more year's worth of discount is coming in 2020. I really hope this man is properly appreciated in his retirement and if he endorses a product that all Saints fans buy that product, or if he makes an appearance for himself or for a charity you pull that checkbook out, and if you see him walking towards a puddle you jump on the ground and let him step upon your back. And if he gets in scandals or engages in some questionable behavior you stick with him. If one day he endorses the KKK, You blow it up and say "well there are two sides?"

I've never seen a player at this stage of his career sacrifice so much for a team. Bless Drew Brees.

Exactly how I feel about it. I eat at Walkon's any time in around one. And I even ate at Jimmy Johns once, and almost finished my sandwich. He deserves anything we'd sign him for. But still, I'm hoping that he comes in a little lower the 25 million. We seriously need the cap-help this year. Especially if we're gonna both try and make one last run.

Honestly, the only QBs in the league today that I see being worth the cap % some QBs are eating up these days are Russel Wilson and Patrick Mahommes.

Goff, Ryan, JimmyG, Big Ben, Rodgers, Wentz, Cousins, Brisset, Stafford, Carr, etc... All make over 25M /yr. And to me, Jackson is a fad that will pass.
NONE of these guys are winning without a strong roster behind them. The same strong roster their team can't afford due to their contracts.

Even considering that Mahommes and Wilson actually are worth that kind of money, (Mahommes isn't getting paid that much yet) I think it does too much
damage to a roster breaking the bank for a QB. Mahommes is awesome. When he "gets his" if they can't surround him with weapons like Hill, Kelce,
Watkins, etc... and provide him with a strong OL and/or afford a defense that can keep them in games... will he still be worth that kind cap commitment?
Wilson is making chicken salad with chicken poo, and in my opinion... he's the only reason they're even still in the discussion. But there's just not enough
cap room to pay him that kind of money, keep key veterans, and sign more weapons.

I actually like where the Titans are at roster and cap wise. Between Mariota and Tannehill, they have 13M /yr dedicated to the QB position. Very few "stars" on the
team, but solid and deep across the board. And they have 50+ million in cap space to make it better. Granted, they're going to have to pay Tannehill now, but I
don't see him joining the Top-Dollar QB club. Cut some "done" vets, draft smart, and sign a couple more play makers, and they're going to be right back in the thick
of it next year.

I know how hard it is to acquire a legit high level NFL QB... but I still can't understand how they're worth as much of teams' caps as they're taking up these days.

I agree with this minus the Lamar Jackson is a fad that will pass comment. He passed for over 3,000 yards, almost 40 TD's, and only 6 INT's while completing 66% of his passes with an average supporting cast at WR. If Baltimore invests in getting him some help he will be great and probably break the bank.

He had multiple offers for $30m two years ago. That's $10m he's given up for New Orleans so far, and now at least one more year's worth of discount is coming in 2020. I really hope this man is properly appreciated in his retirement and if he endorses a product that all Saints fans buy that product, or if he makes an appearance for himself or for a charity you pull that checkbook out, and if you see him walking towards a puddle you jump on the ground and let him step upon your back. And if he gets in scandals or engages in some questionable behavior you stick with him. If one day he endorses the KKK, You blow it up and say "well there are two sides?"

Well said! So many are ready to get rid of him, even though he is still a top three QB! ??

Hard to minimize how important this is for this team.

His dead cap/voided cash number is what it is. Nothing was going to change that. And we will probably kick the cab down the road again.

But Brees “playing ball” and taking less cash offers a ton of different options:

-if Taysom really is going to be the QB of the future, we can match his big cap year/signing bonus number with a year which isn’t a high-dollar year for Brees.

-if Taysom is NOT the QB of the future (and isn’t willing to sign a long-term deal at non-QB money), we can let him play out the tender and take a little more of Brees’ money at a time when it would make the most sense with a QB we draft this year or next.

In both of the above scenarios, Drew’s willingness to take less and be flexible could make a huge difference in how we perform in 2020 and beyond.

But Saintrob told me that we could wait to sign Brees much later and it would let us franchise Bridgewater as well as tag Taysom. He seemed so sure of it ??

He lied!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom