Brees sets NFL record.... (1 Viewer)

buckeyesaint

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
AN obscure one, but a record nonetheless....

"Drew Brees passed for 349 yards in the Saints' 31-13 win at Atlanta. Brees' total of 1,954 passing yards over his last five games is the highest five-game total in NFL history. The previous record was 1,947 yards by Kurt Warner in 2000."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=2676981

And that's missing either his no. 1 or no. 2 WR in each of the last four games.

He's made a player out of Devery Henderson.

I know the better QB's spread it around, and you always hear about how Tom Brady threw to eight, or 10, or 4 to the eighth power receivers in a given game. Yesterday Bress hit five different receivers with three or more passes, and no one more than four, which to me is the absolute epitome of "spread it around;' the Falcons literally didn't know who to cover.

All the better is that he knocked Former Rams Kurt Warner from that record. Makes all the more special anytime you can beat the Rams:D

AN obscure one, but a record nonetheless....

"Drew Brees passed for 349 yards in the Saints' 31-13 win at Atlanta. Brees' total of 1,954 passing yards over his last five games is the highest five-game total in NFL history. The previous record was 1,947 yards by Kurt Warner in 2000."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=2676981

That's just awesome. The Saints are very entertaining to watch. I am looking at this from a football perspective. People love offense and the Saints gives us plenty of that. Dare I say we are a SEXY team!

And that's missing either his no. 1 or no. 2 WR in each of the last four games.

He's made a player out of Devery Henderson.

I know the better QB's spread it around, and you always hear about how Tom Brady threw to eight, or 10, or 4 to the eighth power receivers in a given game. Yesterday Bress hit five different receivers with three or more passes, and no one more than four, which to me is the absolute epitome of "spread it around;' the Falcons literally didn't know who to cover.

Yea-up. It's part of what makes a QB more effective. It also, like a good point guard, gets and keeps more players involved in the game. That not only makes it harder on the defense to key on one or 2 guys, it makes the offense run smoother because everyone has an active role.

It IS what makes Brady more effective, and Drew is getting the same benefits. Nice to hear some others taking notice too, when Al Michaels and John Madden noted it last night.

The only downer here is that we are 2-3 over that 5 games. I'd much rather be 5-0 with a more balanced run-pass ratio over that span.

But still - in hindsight - it's pretty cool record. And yesterday's game was much more balanced - that's the key IMO (and no TOs)...

Yea-up. It's part of what makes a QB more effective. It also, like a good point guard, gets and keeps more players involved in the game. That not only makes it harder on the defense to key on one or 2 guys, it makes the offense run smoother because everyone has an active role.

It IS what makes Brady more effective, and Drew is getting the same benefits. Nice to hear some others taking notice too, when Al Michaels and John Madden noted it last night.

That and the sweet juke moves like the one he put on Urlacher :hihi:

To surpass a passing record set by Warner and the Rams "greatest show on turf" is pretty impressive. That Rams offense and the Warren Moon, run-and-shoot, offense were incredible and put up gaudy numbers.

>>He's made a player out of Devery Henderson.

Credit Devery for several hundred of those yards though. He was always a potential playmaker when he got time to play under Haslett. The key is what do we do with him in the near-term. I'm not sure when his contract is up (probably after 2007), but you'd think he'd be somewhat of a bargain unless a team wanted to gamble for his services.

Btw, the stat isn't obscure as it was shown on highlight shows last night. Now everyone knows. And hopefully with that 500+ game hanging around a couple more weeks, Brees can break his own record. :shrug:

Here's a question though - didn't we never have a 4,000 yard passer until Jim "Chris" Everett did it and then Brooks? Or was it that Everett was the first 3,000 in a while and Brooks got the 4,000? Brees, FWIW, is on pace for a 5,000 yard season which would be one of the best all time.

:shrug:

TPS

>>He's made a player out of Devery Henderson.

Credit Devery for several hundred of those yards though. He was always a potential playmaker when he got time to play under Haslett. The key is what do we do with him in the near-term. I'm not sure when his contract is up (probably after 2007), but you'd think he'd be somewhat of a bargain unless a team wanted to gamble for his services.

Btw, the stat isn't obscure as it was shown on highlight shows last night. Now everyone knows. And hopefully with that 500+ game hanging around a couple more weeks, Brees can break his own record. :shrug:

Here's a question though - didn't we never have a 4,000 yard passer until Jim "Chris" Everett did it and then Brooks? Or was it that Everett was the first 3,000 in a while and Brooks got the 4,000? Brees, FWIW, is on pace for a 5,000 yard season which would be one of the best all time.

:shrug:

TPS

Everett had 3855 and 3970 while in a Saints uniform (he had a 4,000 yard season with the Rams).

Brooks had 3810 and 3832 while with the Saints.

Archie Manning had 3716.

I believe these are the highest totals in Saints history. There has never been a 4,000 yard passer in Saints uniform.

But Brees has a weak arm and according to SD fans, he's no good and can't win. I'm glad we have that weak armed mediocre QB.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom