Brees still in shock (1 Viewer)

We need defense before we need another RB.

Prove that they did. Prove that Sproles' production didn't decline. Prove that they only traded him for salary cap purposes. Otherwise you are spouting a fallacious opinion that I'm just not going to entertain any longer.

Sproles didn't "decline", satellite backs just did not do well against Seattle and SF. Sproles had his best games in 2013 in primetime home games against weaker defenses in Dallas and Miami. But against Seattle and SF's tougher defenses, he struggled. Some would argue how well he did against Sf in 2014 but it was on special teams. He did not do well against Seattle in 2014 either. But the offensive line may have had a lot to do with it, when we didn't quite get it then. Also, that offseason told the tale of our FO with their cutting the defense like they did because it wasn't like Seattle.

Prove that they did. Prove that Sproles' production didn't decline. Prove that they only traded him for salary cap purposes. Otherwise you are spouting a fallacious opinion that I'm just not going to entertain any longer.

What are you going by to judge that a player's performance has declined?

What are you going by to judge that a player's performance has declined?
His stats. 2011 was the record setting season, so lower numbers in 2012 probably weren't a concern. But when they decreased for a second consecutive season in 2013, and he hit the magic running back drop-off age of 30, it was the prudent move to look at it as a trend.

His stats. 2011 was the record setting season, so lower numbers in 2012 probably weren't a concern. But when they decreased for a second consecutive season in 2013, and he hit the magic running back drop-off age of 30, it was the prudent move to look at it as a trend.

I believe stats tell part of the story but not the whole story. It would be interesting to see how many snaps he had in 2011, 2012 and 2013.

To me a clear sign of a performance decline is what we see on the field.

Sproles is not an every down back, so it's not as noticeable to tell if they are declining based on someone we see all the time.

It was evident that Colston's time was up. However I can't say the same for Sproles or Pierre Thomas.

Either way you look at it, letting Sproles go was a mistake.

Sproles only had a down year his last year as a Saint because Sean was too damn predictable in his playcalling, especially with Sproles in the game.

#evolve

Finally started seeing some newness this year. Mostly same principles, but different way of implementing them. I think the more the focus on breaking tendency, the better. Like the way LSU OC Canada does it --- the amount of shifts and motions and ghost action he does on a play to play basis, it is very difficult to tell whether it will be a run or pass based on formation, alignment, personnel grouping, ect, because whether it is run or pass it looks the same.

But it's true. Sproles had a down year, and looked to be declining as a player. His Stats had in fact declined for two seasons prior to the move. The team did not trade him just because of dead money issues.

The Saints were trying to be proactive, and approached him about a contract restructure. He declined, so they informed him that they would release him. When they determined that they could get a pick, they then traded him to Philadelphia, which was why his wife went a little nuts on the organization.

And, interestingly enough, Sproles sat out OTA's in Philly this past offseason, because they were fielding calls about trading him again.

I'm glad someone hasn't forgotten that Sproles was declining with us. Plus we were getting too predictable with him which could be the reason he was declining seeing as how he's been very productive for the Eagles.

Sproles was brought in because he could do so many things so well. Solid runner in spot duty, excellent pass receiver, punt returner and kick returner. His all-purpose yards (rushing + receiving + punt and kick return yardage) in 2011 was an NFL record 2696 yards. It dropped to 1577 and 1273 yards in 2012 and 2013 respectively. If that's not a drop in production, I don't know what is.

As for it being a "cap move", at the time of the trade we had already extended Pierre Thomas two years and signed Jairus Byrd and were still under the cap.

Sproles only had a down year his last year as a Saint because Sean was too damn predictable in his playcalling, especially with Sproles in the game.

#evolve

Finally started seeing some newness this year. Mostly same principles, but different way of implementing them. I think the more the focus on breaking tendency, the better. Like the way LSU OC Canada does it --- the amount of shifts and motions and ghost action he does on a play to play basis, it is very difficult to tell whether it will be a run or pass based on formation, alignment, personnel grouping, ect, because whether it is run or pass it looks the same.

This is a parody account, right? I mean, right? This isn't a real opinion or anything, where the LSU offensive coordinator is referenced as someone Sean Payton can learn from?

This is a parody account, right? I mean, right? This isn't a real opinion or anything, where the LSU offensive coordinator is referenced as someone Sean Payton can learn from?

LOL!!! I had to read it 3 times myself to make sure I read what I read.

Matt Canada has done nothing yet, but our Super Bowl winning coach needs to do what Canada does?

Sean Payton has FORGOTTEN more about offense than Matt Canada will ever know.

Whatever the reason, it was not a smart move when we had no replacement on the roster. Cadet is not and will never be a player like Darren Sproles.

Letting go of Sproles at the time was a mistake. Offense was too predictable, offensive line was mediocre, receivers were not as productive, and offense was under too much pressure because the defense could not stop anyone.

Payton was still way too deep in his ego. When Ireland came in, they started to get some fresh perspective and the needed rebuild began.

Ship has sailed. Do not bring Sproles back at this point. Keep making the offensive line talent and development a top priority on offense, and if the defense can keep improving with a young core, than the offense is fine.

Letting go of Sproles at the time was a mistake. Offense was too predictable, offensive line was mediocre, receivers were not as productive, and offense was under too much pressure because the defense could not stop anyone.

Payton was still way too deep in his ego. When Ireland came in, they started to get some fresh perspective and the needed rebuild began.

Ship has sailed. Do not bring Sproles back at this point. Keep making the offensive line talent and development a top priority on offense, and if the defense can keep improving with a young core, than the offense is fine.

We had a top 5 defense at the time, so that clearly was not the problem.

My theory on why Sproles was traded is because the Saints wanted to tweak the philosophy of the offense to focus more on the run.

If you look at the few games of 2013 (with the exception of tampa bay) the Saints were running the ball more. The playoff games against the Eagles & Seahawks focused on the run. So to an extent, the Saints thought they could survive without his skillset.

Payton was quoted as saying that Cadet can do some of the things that Sproles can. While that might be true, Cadet is no where of a threat that Sproles was. Cadet to do some Sproles things | Shark Bites | Draft Sharks

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom