Brees still in shock (1 Viewer)

CoachKen

Banned
Reaction score
This move is still a hard pill to swallow. Since Sproles has stated that he will play one more season, we should make a move for him considering that our entire staff is on the hot seat for 2017.

This is the year to go all out.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-01-28-22-16-04-1.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-01-28-22-16-04-1.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 199
Sproles was released because the Saints had to get under the cap from all the dead money. Next time someone tells you that the dead money doesn't matter, shake your head just like Brees does.

In retrospect, i'm with Brees on this one. It's smart to let an aging player go a year early as apposed to a year late. But we let Sproles go 3 years too early.

This move is still a hard pill to swallow. Since Sproles has stated that he will play one more season, we should make a move for him considering that our entire staff is on the hot seat for 2017.

This is the year to go all out.

Or, we could snake another Charger FA and sign Danny Woodhead, who's an UFA. The way Sproles left town, I seriously doubt he wants back in NO. Besides, Woodhead totally has a similar skill set to Sproles, and is well established as a very dependable receiving/change up back. Plus, coming off of his injury, Woodhead may come cheaper than normal. I think an established FA satellite back would be better than drafting a guy, since we already have Marcus Murphy and Daniel Lasco, on top of Ingram and possibly Cadet and/or Hightower(if they re-signs). As good as Woodhead already is, I think Brees and Payton would evolve and maximize his game like they did Sproles. If we go O, I'd rather see us go OL or TE.

Sproles was released because the Saints had to get under the cap from all the dead money. Next time someone tells you that the dead money doesn't matter, shake your head just like Brees does.

Thanks for reminding those who think we just offloaded him because the club thought he was washed up, that's a very tired narrative.

We could have made and should have made room another way it was a big mistake to release him.

Sproles was traded not released. We received a fifth rounder in the 2014 draft from the Eagles that became Ronald Powell (I believe).

Factoring in the whole C J Spiller fiasco, as well as Sproles' performance in philly the past three years, it's clear that we made a huge error in trading sproles away.

Thanks for reminding those who think we just offloaded him because the club thought he was washed up, that's a very tired narrative.
But it's true. Sproles had a down year, and looked to be declining as a player. His Stats had in fact declined for two seasons prior to the move. The team did not trade him just because of dead money issues.

The Saints were trying to be proactive, and approached him about a contract restructure. He declined, so they informed him that they would release him. When they determined that they could get a pick, they then traded him to Philadelphia, which was why his wife went a little nuts on the organization.

And, interestingly enough, Sproles sat out OTA's in Philly this past offseason, because they were fielding calls about trading him again.

I agree with your version of events, thanks for clarifying/correcting me. It's just a little disheartening to see posts that ignore the context and go straight for the easy option of saying the front office had no reason to let him go.

As I've posted elsewhere, though, his effectiveness also waned because teams could see when it was a 'Sproles down' and match their personnel / playcall to mitigate his abilities.

Sproles was traded not released. We received a fifth rounder in the 2014 draft from the Eagles that became Ronald Powell (I believe).

Factoring in the whole C J Spiller fiasco, as well as Sproles' performance in philly the past three years, it's clear that we made a huge error in trading sproles away.
I thought this is what happened..as in traded him. Thanks for the confirmation.

Having Sproles and Jimmy at the Joker position was a luxury a very difficult luxury for teams to defend but still a luxury. Both Jokers don't have to be elite. So we picked Graham over Sproles then drafted a WR(Cooks) who we thought could fill some of those duties but couldn't. Business decisions

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom