Brees still in shock (1 Viewer)

We need to stop whiffing on bad players that cause us to lose good players because of dead money.

But it's true. Sproles had a down year, and looked to be declining as a player. His Stats had in fact declined for two seasons prior to the move. The team did not trade him just because of dead money issues.

The Saints were trying to be proactive, and approached him about a contract restructure. He declined, so they informed him that they would release him. When they determined that they could get a pick, they then traded him to Philadelphia, which was why his wife went a little nuts on the organization.

And, interestingly enough, Sproles sat out OTA's in Philly this past offseason, because they were fielding calls about trading him again.

You are straight up kidding yourself if you think they didnt trade him to get under the salary cap.

You are straight up kidding yourself if you think they didnt trade him to get under the salary cap.

I think the Jimmy Graham deal is what caused them to start getting rid of players. What's crazy is that we ended up trading him after we signed him.

This move is still a hard pill to swallow. Since Sproles has stated that he will play one more season, we should make a move for him considering that our entire staff is on the hot seat for 2017.

This is the year to go all out.

Ummm, here's the link: Brees on Sproles' departure from Saints: 'Still shaking my head' | theScore.com

Also: http://clutchpoints.com/drew-brees-unhappy-saints-trading-darren-sproles-2014/

And: http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/video/brees-still-shakes-his-head-at-sproles-departure~1045077

And: http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=18565590

But it's true. Sproles had a down year, and looked to be declining as a player. His Stats had in fact declined for two seasons prior to the move. The team did not trade him just because of dead money issues.

The Saints were trying to be proactive, and approached him about a contract restructure. He declined, so they informed him that they would release him. When they determined that they could get a pick, they then traded him to Philadelphia, which was why his wife went a little nuts on the organization.

And, interestingly enough, Sproles sat out OTA's in Philly this past offseason, because they were fielding calls about trading him again.

Spot on. The problem wasn't moving on from Sproles. The problem was we missed on a replacement.

You are welcome to prove me wrong if you want to, but I think I'll stick to the verifiable information that we have at our disposal. His performance had declined, so he was targeted as a player who could be let go and replaced by a better/cheaper option.

You are welcome to prove me wrong if you want to, but I think I'll stick to the verifiable information that we have at our disposal. His performance had declined, so he was targeted as a player who could be let go and replaced by a better/cheaper option.

Are you saying it's not verifiable that the Saints had to cut guys to get under the cap? Seriously, that's your angle?

And who was Sproles replaced by again?

Declining performance.... lol Sproles put up over 600 yards receiving along with a respectable YPC every season that he was here. None of our other running backs ever come close to that.

Are you saying it's not verifiable that the Saints had to cut guys to get under the cap? Seriously, that's your angle?

And who was Sproles replaced by again?

Declining performance.... lol Sproles put up over 600 yards receiving along with a respectable YPC every season that he was here. None of our other running backs ever come close to that.

His performance declined. It is an easily provable bit of information readily available to anyone who wishes to look it up.

The reason for his trade absent that factor doesn't exist. Speculation can abound as to other factors, but that was the reason he was identified as a candidate for restructure/release/trade.

His performance declined. It is an easily provable bit of information readily available to anyone who wishes to look it up.

The reason for his trade absent that factor doesn't exist. Speculation can abound as to other factors, but that was the reason he was identified as a candidate for restructure/release/trade.

You are literally wrong. All teams have to be below the salary cap, that's not an opinion, it's an indisputable fact. The Saints had to cut guys to get below the cap, they had no choice.

You are saying we wanted to cut him because of his production? Apparently you are the one that needs to look up his numbers. Sproles never once had a season with less than the league average in yards per carry. And his ypc isnt even what made him special. What made him great was his contribution in the passing game, he put up over 600 yards receiving every season he was here. The Saints have not had running back more consistent than Sproles in the passing game.

Sproles never had one season here where he didn't live up to his contract. His production was certainly well within his compensation rate. But the Saints didn't have enough cap room for his perfectly reasonable salary. The truth is clear: the Saints had to release Sproles because they were up against the cap. In refusing to acknowledge this you are just making excuses and being an apologist.

You are literally wrong. All teams have to be below the salary cap, that's not an opinion, it's an indisputable fact. The Saints had to cut guys to get below the cap, they had no choice.

You are saying we wanted to cut him because of his production? Apparently you are the one that needs to look up his numbers. Sproles never once had a season with less than the league average in yards per carry. And his ypc isnt even what made him special. What made him great was his contribution in the passing game, he put up over 600 yards receiving every season he was here. The Saints have not had running back more consistent than Sproles in the passing game.

Sproles never had one season here where he didn't live up to his contract. His production was certainly well within his compensation rate. But the Saints didn't have enough cap room for his perfectly reasonable salary. The truth is clear: the Saints had to release Sproles because they were up against the cap. In refusing to acknowledge this you are just making excuses and being an apologist.
Prove that they did. Prove that Sproles' production didn't decline. Prove that they only traded him for salary cap purposes. Otherwise you are spouting a fallacious opinion that I'm just not going to entertain any longer.

Or, we could snake another Charger FA and sign Danny Woodhead, who's an UFA. The way Sproles left town, I seriously doubt he wants back in NO. Besides, Woodhead totally has a similar skill set to Sproles, and is well established as a very dependable receiving/change up back. Plus, coming off of his injury, Woodhead may come cheaper than normal. I think an established FA satellite back would be better than drafting a guy, since we already have Marcus Murphy and Daniel Lasco, on top of Ingram and possibly Cadet and/or Hightower(if they re-signs). As good as Woodhead already is, I think Brees and Payton would evolve and maximize his game like they did Sproles. If we go O, I'd rather see us go OL or TE.
Woodhead is no where as reliable as Sproles was though. Sproles was so good, and one tough nut.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom