Brees successor is in the building (1 Viewer)

Hill is an unbelievably terrific athlete.

If he is ever to be a successful QB in this league he'd have to be a Steve Young or Michael Vick running with the ball. And obviously he shows he can be that big a threat at running with the ball out of the pocket. Still remains to be seen if he can be adequate in the pocket.

Yup, and at the QB position in week 1 he was BAD. 0 doubt about it, so in turn we all would ask you

Did you even watch the game

8/14 80 yards 1 TD 1 INT and a 67 QBR against 3rd and 4th stringers. Learn how to be objective or just don’t comment. Some of you fall so far in love with certain players that you can’t take your B&G glasses off long enough to call it like it is. Carry on.

The stats list an interception but in truth he never threw one. The throw was on the money with the right touch. The bobble is all on Arnold. Take that away and his rating is 97.3
More over the QB rating is only a passer rating.

After two games Taysom is the #2 rusher in the NFL. And he is tied with the leaders for TD's. Those that say playing against 2nd and 3rd teams means he is playing against weaker opposition overlook that he is also playing with 2nd and 3rd teammates . I'd call it a wash. How does anyone call his viking performance awful. It wasn't. If you add his rushing production to his passing he in #5 in the NFL for Total Yards. Before you say stats are not the whole story just remember you brought it up.

PS I flew to NO for the game (damn it was hot there and the Red Dress Run was a Hoot) so if you are asking: I saw the game.

Last edited:
Any serious discussion on Hill as a starting QB begins with the acknowledgment that the entire offense would have to be retooled to fit his style. Can’t see Hill emulating Brees hyper accurate throws and cerebral dissection of coverages? Congrats. He can’t. And neither can almost anyone else on the planet. That’s why Brees is a lock for Canton despite barely scraping 6’ and having an average arm.

Hill is an elite athlete of an entirety different kind and would have to run an entirely different offense. Normally I’d say that’s not worth the effort, except that the person designing that offense for Hill would be Sean Payton one of the great offensive minds in the history of the league. Like the coach he most reminds me of—Bill Walsh—I might roll the dice on Payton’s ability to mold Hill into another Steve Young, who, it should be remembered, went 3-16 as a starter in Tampa where he tossed twice as many INTs as TDS.

I think Hill has more upside than Bridgewater. But I do not believe either, is the long term successor to Brees. I do believe, the Saints have their eye on a established NFL starter as a free agent target, to succeed Brees. I do not think it will be a drafted QB.

Saints coach Sean Payton 'trying to create vision' for QB Taysom Hill in Steve Young comparison

"Payton isn’t backing down from his long-held belief that the BYU product, who’s been a do-it-all weapon during his Saints career, has a real future under center. On Sunday, CBS broadcasters even brought up Payton likening Hill to Steve Young. "

If Brees retired today and SP said he was going with Hill at QB, I would be on board. We all see the potential and he just might thrive in the opportunity.

I think Hill has more upside than Bridgewater. But I do not believe either, is the long term successor to Brees. I do believe, the Saints have their eye on a established NFL starter as a free agent target, to succeed Brees. I do not think it will be a drafted QB.

I hope not. In general the established NFL starters that hit free agency just aren’t good enough. Teddy is one of those guys. Drew is a once in a lifetime free agent signing.

We have to draft the next QB.

I am of the belief that TH needs an offense that is built around his skill set. I don't see the Saints being able to change its stripes mid-season and be successful. I see TB as a capable backup to a DB type offense and for that reason TB as the clear #2. If both DB and TB were to go down, it would be a hail marry type revamp of the offense and it would take some time for the Saints to reboot to a different style IMHO.

Now down the road, TH might be the starter over TB. The question would be does TB or another QB run the DB offense better than TH running an offense geared toward his skillset. It will be an interesting transition from DB to whomever.

Wait, people are really calling Taysom the heir to the QB1 spot after Brees is gone based on his performance against 2nd and 3rd stringers in a preseason week 2 game? Am I going crazy?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom