Brees successor is in the building (1 Viewer)

Well I have to say, as much as I had high hopes for Teddy, at this point I think it’s clear that Taysom Hill offers absolute upside in every aspect of the game. While I used to think that he was more suited for gadget stuff and Teddy could be the real guy, it’s evidenr that Hill is The Man moving forward. Great throws and great mobility but more importantly his pocket awareness is on point. He has proven his ability game after game. The guy makes plays it’s As simple as that.
I agree with you...and he has that little extra something that a lot of great quarterbacks have had...swagger...he loves what he is doing...fearless...has the field general look..
However...I really feel, if Bridgewater was sick in the last game...its too early to say he is not the guy...I watched quite a bit of film on him..When he is in the groove, he has amazing accuracy, even on long balls...throws on a rope....and quick release...reads defenses well..runs well, shows no fear...I like Taysome better..but Teddy is no slouch....well, time will tell. glad to have them both at the moment....and if one has to go, maybe he is traded for something we really need...like a nose tackle the size of a school bus...ha ha...

Any serious discussion on Hill as a starting QB begins with the acknowledgment that the entire offense would have to be retooled to fit his style. Can’t see Hill emulating Brees hyper accurate throws and cerebral dissection of coverages? Congrats. He can’t. And neither can almost anyone else on the planet. That’s why Brees is a lock for Canton despite barely scraping 6’ and having an average arm.

Hill is an elite athlete of an entirety different kind and would have to run an entirely different offense. Normally I’d say that’s not worth the effort, except that the person designing that offense for Hill would be Sean Payton one of the great offensive minds in the history of the league. Like the coach he most reminds me of—Bill Walsh—I might roll the dice on Payton’s ability to mold Hill into another Steve Young, who, it should be remembered, went 3-16 as a starter in Tampa where he tossed twice as many INTs as TDS.
The first thought that comes to mind thinking of Hill filling Brees spot, later..is, he has a lot to learn, of course...and Brees will help him learn it..the very first thing he needs to pick up from Brees is looking off the secondary...Brees is a master at this...very rarely throwing to where he spends the most time looking...being able to flash to a different read, verify it has an opening, and deliver...boom....Brees kills me with the way he pulls this off so much, especially when he is normally looking through gaps in men a foot taller, and their arms in the air....just amazing....This is where Hill has a big advantage...he is much taller, (or so I think...)...and should be able to see the open man much easier...still, I hope he has the time to learn from Brees until the time comes..and truthfully, I hope Brees delivers the Super Bowl Ring to us all this year, he deserves it..and the whole team does..what a journey. But...I could see Hill filling the role...it would look different...he would find his own niche in the passing game...but, I don't think it would be that difficult for him to run this offense...it would just be different....being able to scramble when its there...is a HUGE weapon in our favor...

The first thought that comes to mind thinking of Hill filling Brees spot, later..is, he has a lot to learn, of course...and Brees will help him learn it..the very first thing he needs to pick up from Brees is looking off the secondary...Brees is a master at this...very rarely throwing to where he spends the most time looking...being able to flash to a different read, verify it has an opening, and deliver...boom....Brees kills me with the way he pulls this off so much, especially when he is normally looking through gaps in men a foot taller, and their arms in the air....just amazing....This is where Hill has a big advantage...he is much taller, (or so I think...)...and should be able to see the open man much easier...still, I hope he has the time to learn from Brees until the time comes..and truthfully, I hope Brees delivers the Super Bowl Ring to us all this year, he deserves it..and the whole team does..what a journey. But...I could see Hill filling the role...it would look different...he would find his own niche in the passing game...but, I don't think it would be that difficult for him to run this offense...it would just be different....being able to scramble when its there...is a HUGE weapon in our favor...
No disrespect intended New City Champ...just my two cents....

None taken.

Hill is taller than Brees, but not way taller, maybe 3 inches. Hill can develop his QB skills, but given his age I never see him approaching Drew's 9th degree black belt level of position mastery. That's not much of a knock. Brees is truly special in this regard, maybe the best in the history of the NFL and, if not, among the very greatest at the very least.

Hill's gift is his ability to threaten the defense in multiple ways. He will never be the passer that Brees is, but I can easily imagine Payton constructing an offense for Hill that would tie opposing defenses in knots, and I'm sure Payton would relish every second of it.

I'm not much on lazy historical analogies, but the comparison to the transition the 49ers and Bill Walsh made from Montana to Young is a fairly apt one. The X factor, of course, is Hill. We know Montana, Brees and Young were all great QBs. The jury is out (way out) on Hill's future, but he is an intriguing prospect. I've already seen enough to be willing to give it a try. The tools are there with Hill.

The key for the Saints, and the fans, is not to try or expect Hill to do what Brees does. We can't and he won't. He'd be a very different QB running a very different offense. And that's ok.

What I like about TH is the intangible leadership quality, when the team needs a spark, he provides it and the team responds. Can’t be taught, coached, or learned, its just in some people’s nature to be ultra-competetive and say “I don’t care if its just preseason, WE ARE NOT LOSING, now follow me. We saw it in the yucs game last year and now this game. The team just responds to him.

Last edited:
As much as i like Hill, he has yet to play a full season where he’s a starter. He got hurt every year at BYU. His style of playing is brutal on the body and nfl has bigger linebackers hitting even harder. Special teams and utility and he’s shine.

I know one thing for sure about Hill, he sure sounds like Drew under center.

The decision on if Hill has the ability to be a starter in this league will be made at the end of this season. Based on the cap the Saints came keep both Bridgewater and Hill. If the Saints think Hill can be a starter to succeed Brees, they will make him a QB only after this season. At minimum they will take him off of gunner on special teams. Maybe you let him play punt block by calculating injury risk. Bridgewater has shown nothing to suggest he is a NFL starter or has high upside playing against backups this preseason or in the final game of last season. Hill on the other hand has shown grown in his accuracy and a consistent and rare mobility and toughness. Furthermore the fans and the media love Hill. He is our third QB and people wear his jersey. People want to watch him play do to his big play ability and a selflessness that no player in the modern era has shown. Hill plays on punt and kick coverage, punt block, up back on punt team, QB, and has lined up at TE, WR, and RB. He regularly comes in at short yardage and has excelled. Hill is older due to his Mormon mission. Bridgewater has middle of the pack QB written all over him. Hill has upside and is learning from a hall of fame QB and all time great offensive coach. I trust Coach Payton. The idea of Bridgewater as the successor scares me that this team will over pay for mediocrity. The idea of Hill excites me because his accuracy has improved and his running ability hearkens Steve Young and Michael Vick with a rare toughness to make the mobility deadly if he can accurately throw on the run. While it is by no means a sure thing, the successor very well could be Hill if he continues this scale of improvement.

Now, I love me some Taysom. He's fun and exciting but players like him can't last long. At best, he'd be a stopgap.

Now, I love me some Taysom. He's fun and exciting but players like him can't last long. At best, he'd be a stopgap.

I agree and no one has really been talking about that.

Unless Taysom learns to slide, he’s going to end up perpetually injured as a starter.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom