Brees to Payton: "You are the reason that I am here … I want to win a championship for you" - article (1 Viewer)

The Falcon fan who is writing a paper on Drew's charisma needs to read this thread/articles.

I will read the article later but I 100% agree with this.

"...to thank the coach for convincing him to come in March 2006 to this Hurricane Katrina-ravaged city and become on-field leader of a lost franchise."

Coach doesn't get enough credit for this. In fact it is why I hate to even see Gibbs criticized. Not too many people were beating down a path to NO until Coach made it an attactive place to be.

The broke back stuff is lame btw.

Keefresh2, you are scary talented. Don't ever do that again. I am scarred.

Man, that was a great article. The section about Micah was really moving. Gah! I can't get teary-eyed at work.

After his visit, my son began to do what Drew Brees does every Sunday: He continues to fight and win," Roshell says. "Three weeks ago, we went to the clinic, and nobody recognized Micah. He looked that different."

Says Micah, "Drew told me to keep fighting."

Micah is healthy enough to have a November bone marrow transplant.

"That is awesome," Brees says. "Sometimes, the best treatment for some of these kids is not the medicine. It's the ability to put a smile on their face, to give them hope in a different way."

Breesus is the man. Great quarterback but just an awesome human being. Not too many people go out of their way to spread love and happiness to strangers.

Yes I read this story earlier, and I knew one of you great contributors on here would post. The 2 most powerful people on a football team is the coach and QB. And with the example they are setting, it is rubbing off on the other players and making them want to be better, to be like that. We finally have the team we deserve and I can't wait to scream my heart out at the dome on Sunday! AWESOME article!

The replies to this are awesome. And I second the emotion of all. We have a special guy/quarterback in our presence.

We won't be denied any longer! Take us there big man!!!!

WHO DAT!!!!!!!

I knew about some of this "behind the scenes" stuff (I know Payton and Brees have a very strong personal bond... they go to concerts and bar-b-q together, etc.). It's very rare for a head coach and player to be that close on a personal level, but I definitely think that it contributes to their success running the offense. Brees is very much an extension of Payton on the field and Payton an extension of Brees on the sideline.

The only coach/player relationship I can think of that is comparable would be when Mike Singletary was the LBs coach for the Ravens. But even then... the relationship between him and Ray Lewis seemed pretty forced. Singletary was trying to build his NFL resume and Ray seemed like he desperately wanted to please his coach (which says something about his humility and respect for the game). But it wasn't on the level of Payton and Brees. I don't think describing their relationship as "symbiotic" is a hyperbole by any means.

That story about Micha really made me well up a little... outstanding human being, and I'm glad he's one of us.

Me too... I saw a video a couple of years back of him visiting another ill child (I think he had a rare heart condition). They hung out the whole day and Brees brought him to the Saints facility, introduced him to the players, threw the ball around with him. It's just amazing that as much time as he puts into his craft (outworking everyone) and his team, he still finds time to make a difference in these children's lives.

I don't really know how to put it in words, but as much as we all have a huge man-crush on Brees, I don't think anyone can ever fully appreciate/thank him for all that he does and his level of commitment and selflessness.

Its a shame that stories like this arent made public often. Especially when you have to hear about stupid athletes making the headlines for something stupid or criminal.

In a professional football player's world of millions of dollars, egos the size of mountains, and the need for attention, it is not often that we see the genuine men who don't crave attention. Those that remain humble, grateful for their talents and opportunities do not share the limelight because they don't want it. We, as New Orleans Saints fans, have seen first hand what Mr. Loomis, Coach Payton, Drew, Scott Fujita, and a long list of others have done for this city since August 2005. We have seen first hand the change in Mr. Benson. We all saw coach slapping high fives with fans after the Falcon game for the reopening of the dome. We all saw the players reactions to the emotion they felt from us, the fans. No other team can lay claim to that feeling, it is ours.

So I say to all those who concern themselves with the national media, let them chase T.O., follow Vick and Burress to prison tripping overthemselves to get a quote or a piece of film. Let them all bask in their own selfishness. The real men, who impact real lives and communities in positive life changing ways, who do so in with the quietness of a true leader, are always lurking behind the scenes doing what they do.

Coach Payton and Drew will bring a championship to the fans, of that I have no doubt. Their hard work and determination is infectious. They saved us in our darkest hour. They crossed human boundaries and differences and gave us all a longed-for diversion. Perhaps, with that championship we will also see the dawn of a new day in our beloved city.

God speed Coach and Drew, we are with you and are grateful for all that you have done.

PS - We'll be there in force Sunday, together again, across all boundaries, state lines and country borders. Thanks to you all, Saintsnation is alive and well.

Love the attitude and the concept.
Love Brees and Payton.
But give me a break 212 degrees is just as relative as anything else in life.
You can indeed boil water at 211 degrees F and you can Freeze water at 212degrees F.
Its all relative to pressure....a scientific formula that often culminates with a discussion about the Tripple Point.

Love the attitude and the concept.
Love Brees and Payton.
But give me a break 212 degrees is just as relative as anything else in life.
You can indeed boil water at 211 degrees F and you can Freeze water at 212degrees F.
Its all relative to pressure....a scientific formula that often culminates with a discussion about the Tripple Point.

debbiedowner.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom