Brees to Payton: "You are the reason that I am here … I want to win a championship for you" - article (1 Viewer)

kfran

TwoDat! Let's Do It Again
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Everything but the title: Drew Brees is crashing the QB party
By Jim Corbett, USA TODAY

Awesome article, IMHO

NEW ORLEANS — Sean Payton pops up from behind his office desk at the New Orleans Saints headquarters to retrieve a book from his coffee table. It's a gift from his quarterback, Drew Brees, titled 212: The Extra Degree. The inscription underscores the bond between the coach and his quarterback.

Brees gave Payton the book when training camp began last summer to thank the coach for convincing him to come in March 2006 to this Hurricane Katrina-ravaged city and become on-field leader of a lost franchise. The Saints went 63-97 from 1996 to 2005.

His thank-you reads in part: You are the reason that I am here and I appreciate that every day. … I want to win a championship for you.

"That (inscription) re-energizes what you do as a coach and teacher," Payton says. "At 211 degrees, water is just scalding hot. But at 212, it boils. It's the significance of one extra degree. Everything about Drew's preparation is about that extra degree."
More...
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/saints/2009-10-01-drew-brees-cover_N.htm

Can we get a Brokeback Mountain photoshop with Brees/Payton for this thread? :hihi:

"I just can't quit you"

That was a great article. I didn't think I could like or respect him more. I was wrong.

"Drew just outworks everybody," linebacker Scott Fujita says. "He's a guy's guy, not one of those pretty boy, prima donna quarterbacks."

It seems as though we, as fans, aren't the only ones that have a man crush on Drew :mwink:. :hihi:

Very cool article and we're blessed to have him!

We need to start a Drew Brees fan club and call it "the house that Breesus built".

I actually just read that before it was posted... Thought this was pretty funny...
"That grit Drew plays with, it's very much the personification of this city," says life-long Saints fan Mickey Triche, 45. "We have the mayoral elections (in February). Brees could win as a write-in candidate. Brees is one of us."

Another great article. Thanks kfran!

I think we win the Superbowl this year, but reading article like this makes me know it will happen.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom