Brees vs Brady (1 Viewer)

I love Brees, but that infographic means nothing without SB appearances & wins. Championships are the true measure, whether we like it or not. And it's a team sport, not an individual one, so yes it matters.

See above.
Not Drew’s fault but Brady is always either in or around the Super Bowl. Brees needs a couple more.

And I wouldn’t trade Brees for Brady.

I love Brees, but that infographic means nothing without SB appearances & wins. Championships are the true measure, whether we like it or not. And it's a team sport, not an individual one, so yes it matters.

Championships are NOT the true measure.

Championships are team accomplishments, not individual ones. The ring argument needs to finally die forever.

Jim Kelly played in 4 straight Super Bowls. John Elway played in 5 total. By this measure, they should rank in the top 10 just off team achievements alone.

The problem with this logic is people are looking at it first from the win column and just counting rings from there. If Seattle runs Lynch at the goal line, does that take away the fact that Brady still had a pretty good game in that SB? I'm using this an example with Brady cause it shows how absurd the deal is to just count QBs stats by the win column. The Pats almost lost that SB, but it wouldn't have been Brady's fault given he played a good game.

Brees has had two amazing comeback games in the post season, only to lose cause the Saints defense completely crapped the bed vs the 49ers and then the blown coverage vs the Vikings. When you are judging a QB solely by win/loss, it isn't telling the entire story.

The AFC has been trash the past 2 years and that is one of the main reasons New England keeps going back to the SB. Since Manning retired and Denver went back to mediocrity, there hasn't been an AFC team that can truly threaten them like back in the day. Last year the Patriots had the easiest road to the SB in modern NFL history. They're in the same position with a watered down AFC that helped Buffalo reach 4 straight SBs in the 90's.

At the very least, I think they are equals. Drew's numbers are better probably going back even further, but Brady will get the nod outside of the Whodat Nation because of the rings even though that's a ridiculous stat to measure the success or skill of one player. I'm with whodat25. I would never trade Brees for Brady. However, I think that if Brees was in New England, he would have similar or better results as Brady has had.

Championships are team accomplishments, not individual ones. The ring argument needs to finally die forever.

Jim Kelly played in 4 straight Super Bowls. John Elway played in 5 total. By this measure, they should rank in the top 10 just off team achievements alone.

The problem with this logic is people are looking at it first from the win column and just counting rings from there. If Seattle runs Lynch at the goal line, does that take away the fact that Brady still had a pretty good game in that SB? I'm using this an example with Brady cause it shows how absurd the deal is to just count QBs stats by the win column. The Pats almost lost that SB, but it wouldn't have been Brady's fault given he played a good game.

Brees has had two amazing comeback games in the post season, only to lose cause the Saints defense completely crapped the bed vs the 49ers and then the blown coverage vs the Vikings. When you are judging a QB solely by win/loss, it isn't telling the entire story.

The AFC has been trash the last 3 years and that is one of the main reasons New England keeps going back to the SB. Since Manning retired and Denver went back to mediocrity, there hasn't been an AFC team that can truly threaten them like back in the day. Last year the Patriots had the easiest road to the SB in modern NFL history. They're in the same position with a watered down AFC that helped Buffalo reach 4 straight SBs in the 90's.

All valid counter points. Also, Jax beat NE last year, just got robbed by the refs imo.
I’d argue that the best natural QB to not win a Super Bowl is Dan Marino. So he’s a good example for your point too. And the Pats have indeed had an easier path, however what they have consistently done in the free agency era is mind blowing to me. They beat who is in front of them and almost always at least get to the Super Bowl (where the playoff comp is tough).
It is unfair to Brees but he will be judged by many in this regard. I’d say it’s the only reason Brady is viewed by most objective fans as better than Brees. And like I stated before, I wouldn’t trade Brees for Brady. Or anyone. Even Rodgers.

I think Brees is better than Brady, and I’ve always thought that. (New Orleans Brees)

All valid counter points.
I’d argue that the best natural QB to not win a Super Bowl is Dan Marino. So he’s a good example for your point too. And the Pats have indeed had an easier path, however what they have consistently done in the free agency era is mind blowing to me. They beat who is in front of them and almost always at least get to the Super Bowl (where the playoff comp is tough).
It is unfair to Brees but he will be judged by many in this regard. I’d say it’s the only reason Brady is viewed by most objective fans as better than Brees. And like I stated before, I wouldn’t trade Brees for Brady. Or anyone. Even Rodgers.

I think Brees is better than Brady, and I’ve always thought that. (New Orleans Brees)

I'll always take Brees over Brady. Before the current era, this was the heart of the Manning vs Brady arguments. If you took Manning's side, you acknowledged that Manning was unquestionably a better quarterback than him all across the board and his advanced stats proved he deserves all those MVPs in his prime. The argument for Brady was always about the SB rings and how Manning had so many embarrassing playoff exits. Now that Manning is retired, it becomes Brees or Rodgers they compare Brady to.

I definitely agree on Marino. He was the best quarterback of the 80's and before Peyton Manning and current modern era, he would be the definitive pick for best quarterback in advanced stats. Miami fielded 3 of the worst defenses of the 80's between 1986 to 1989. That was Marino's prime and it was completely wasted by not having a decent team around him. Brees in a way reminds me of Marino, cause we had those historically bad defenses through 2012 and 2014 through 2016. Marino also had some pretty bad luck in a number of playoff games with the defense collapsing.

As much as the ring argument gets thrown around in favor of Brady, people tend to leave out that he was nothing short of a game manager in 2 of the Pats first 3 SBs. He had under 100 yards passing vs the Rams prior to that final drive for the game winning FG. He did play pretty well vs the Panthers and they probably wouldn't have won without him putting up a good performance after Delhomme went off on them. Against the Eagles, Brady was a game manager and the Pats mainly won that SB with their defense and Philly's self destruct around Reid's terrible clock management.

Last edited:
I love Brees but arguing that ANYONE is better than Brady is setting yourself up to look like a fool.

I’m quite sure I fit the look of a fool mold Sammy and I think Brady is elite, but I’d take several QB’s over him, throughout history.

Off top of my head, in no order, over Brady for me...and all in their prime and judged on QB ability as an individual with no Super Bowls to judge....
Brees
Rodgers
Montana
Marino
Manning
Elway
Favre

I can’t speak on any older guys than that as the above are who I grew up with.

Last edited:
I'd rather have Brees. He has had to do it mostly without competant defenses. Without him, this isn't close to a playoff team. He's had to do far more with far less compared to Brady. Without Brady, it's been proven the Patriots can still win games.

One of the biggest jokes in league history is the fact the likes of Cam Newton & Matt Ryan have won MVP's, and Drew Brees hasn't. He should've won it in 09. We all know that.

I'll go a step further: The Dolphins not signing Drew Brees changed two franchises forever. And frankly, I am not so sure New Orleans still has a football team without Brees & SP coming.

The AFC has been trash the past 2 years and that is one of the main reasons New England keeps going back to the SB. Since Manning retired and Denver went back to mediocrity, there hasn't been an AFC team that can truly threaten them like back in the day. Last year the Patriots had the easiest road to the SB in modern NFL history. They're in the same position with a watered down AFC that helped Buffalo reach 4 straight SBs in the 90's.

Excellent.... I believe three things... two you stated..

1. With a defense Drew has three rings... Add 2011 and 2017
2. In the AFC least you could probably have added one more.
3. If DB had played in Dallas or New York, no one would be speaking of Brady as the GOAT... Look at the hype around Eli? Good lord... they have him as a sure HoFer and this guy is mostly garbage....

DB = GOAT

Excellent.... I believe three things... two you stated..

1. With a defense Drew has three rings... Add 2011 and 2017
2. In the AFC least you could probably have added one more.
3. If DB had played in Dallas or New York, no one would be speaking of Brady as the GOAT... Look at the hype around Eli? Good lord... they have him as a sure HoFer and this guy is mostly garbage....

DB = GOAT
Absolutely.
And 2011 imo was the best Saints team we’ve ever had. A travesty we didn’t win the Super Bowl that year. That one still hurts a bit. And it was an illegal hit that knocked Pierre out early, took a TD away from us and set the tone. F the Niners to the depths of football hell. But I digress....

At the very least, I think they are equals. Drew's numbers are better probably going back even further, but Brady will get the nod outside of the Whodat Nation because of the rings even though that's a ridiculous stat to measure the success or skill of one player. I'm with whodat25. I would never trade Brees for Brady. However, I think that if Brees was in New England, he would have similar or better results as Brady has had.

All I know is that when Brady's numbers are down, it's said that it is because "he doesn't have anyone to throw to". Contrast that with several receivers who have come to the Saints, had career years during their stint, only to sign elsewhere for bigger money and to return to their middling production, it's said that it is because they had the benefit of playing with Brees. What?

Let me get this straight...in the conversation of GOAT, Brady is only as good as his receivers, while Brees makes his receivers better? I know who I want to QB my team!!!!

Absolutely.
And 2011 imo was the best Saints team we’ve ever had. A travesty we didn’t win the Super Bowl that year. That one still hurts a bit. And it was an illegal hit that knocked Pierre out early, took a TD away from us and set the tone. F the Niners to the depths of football hell. But I digress....

No you don't digress... I share your pain... Last year hurt but 2011 is still with me.... No doubt we win it all that year... I think last year we would have played Philly to the wire and maybe would have won it all... 2011 No doubt.... I'm not going to think about that right now....lol

I love Brees but arguing that ANYONE is better than Brady is setting yourself up to look like a fool.

Why? Cause RINGZ RINGZ RINGZ????

There are tons of quarterbacks in NFL history who are more talented than Brady, but didn't have the privilege of playing with one of the best head coaches ever and a team that prioritized defense.

Put Brees, Manning, or Rodgers on some of those Patriots teams and how many rings you think they end up with?

I don't care if Brady wins a 6th or 7th ring. He's not the GOAT when you start analyzing QBs outside of the ring argument.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom