bclemms

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
Week 2
Fleener and Coleman
4/12 for 44 yards, 3.6 ypa, 44 passer rating

Rest of team
27/33, 219 yards, 1 TD, 0int, 104.4 passer rating

Better yet, when Brees targeted the top 3 WR's.
16/22, 178 yards, 1 TD, 0 int, 111.6 QB rating

For the season
Fleener- 3/12, 33 yards, 2.75 yards per attempt, 44.4 passer rating (would be worst in NFL by massive stretch)

Top 3 receivers
37/46, 80.4%, 11.94 ypa, 551 yards, 4 TD, 0 int, 145.6 passer rating (Would be best in NFL by massive stretch)

As tempting as it will be to pile on to say these players are under performing (and yes, I shouted at my TV when Fleener dropped a few), and say why pass to them at all, the fact is NYG's defensive game plan and quality in the secondary took away Snead and Cooks as options down field, forcing us to throw to these guys. Credit the opposition, rather than damning our team entirely.

PS. I know the OP for consistently posting in a balanced and informed way, so my comment is more aimed at those keen to jump to the above conclusions.

As tempting as it will be to pile on to say these players are under performing (and yes, I shouted at my TV when Fleener dropped a few), and say why pass to them at all, the fact is NYG's defensive game plan and quality in the secondary took away Snead and Cooks as options down field, forcing us to throw to these guys. Credit the opposition, rather than damning our team entirely.

PS. I know the OP for consistently posting in a balanced and informed way, so my comment is more aimed at those keen to jump to the above conclusions.

Yeah, no need to pile on and there is still plenty of time for Fleener to figure it out.

I will say it's a trend that seems to be following Fleener. He's only caught 57% of his targets in his career. Compare that to a guy like Ben Watson who caught 67%. That's quite a stark difference when talking about a top tier free agent vs a guy who was widely considered middle of the pack.

In Indy, he was the guy everyone kept expecting to break out and never would. Now he's about to be 28 and everyone is waiting for him to break out in New Orleans. At some point you have to blame the expectations, not the production.

The play calling as a whole made my eyes rain yesterday.
Our top 3 WR's are studs, if we are going to lose, at least make them beat our top 3 WR's.

Trying to win a game with Coleman was borderline stupid.

I can understand targeting Fleener, he was constantly open. If he can't learn how to catch the ball he needs to ride the pine.

After our TD to tie the game and after getting the ball back, we should have road Ingram and Hightower off to a win.

Situational play calling was horrendous yesterday, but our defense and punter showed up to play at least.

Our top 3 WR's are studs, if we are going to lose, at least make them beat our top 3 WR's.

I can understand targeting Fleener, he was constantly open. If he can't learn how to catch the ball he needs to ride the pine.

After our TD to tie the game and after getting the ball back, we should have road Ingram and Hightower off to a win.

Situational play calling was horrendous yesterday, but our defense and punter showed up to play at least.

Ingram, Hightower, & Kuhn combine for 41 yards out of 13 carries....3.1 yards per carry :covri:

How much of the blame needs to go to our talent evaluation. Seems the past couple of years the FO has been scrambling to get players to close out Brees's career only winding up with mediocre players at best.

Is that counting the 3 bad passes to Coleman yesterday?

Yeah, no need to pile on and there is still plenty of time for Fleener to figure it out.

I will say it's a trend that seems to be following Fleener. He's only caught 57% of his targets in his career. Compare that to a guy like Ben Watson who caught 67%. That's quite a stark difference when talking about a top tier free agent vs a guy who was widely considered middle of the pack.

In Indy, he was the guy everyone kept expecting to break out and never would. Now he's about to be 28 and everyone is waiting for him to break out in New Orleans. At some point you have to blame the expectations, not the production.

I think the hope when he came here was having a more accurate QB throwing to him would help improve his catch percentage. He's certainly struggled, so far.

Hopefully, as he settles into the offense, he can just play football, and be a little better at it.

Saints sign TE Coby Fleener (5 years, $36 million): KIELBASA SLIPS THROUGH THE FINGERS MILLEN Grade
I wonder how it feels to be a Colts fan right now. On one hand, they must be very depressed that they still have the incompetent Ryan Grigson running things. On the other hand, they have to be cracking up upon seeing the numbers Coby Fleener received from the Saints.

This signing is horrible. Aside from perhaps Vernon Davis, no tight end drops more passes than Coby Fleener. I'm sure he'll post some great numbers with Drew Brees throwing the ball to him, but he'll absolutely kill his new team with some untimely drops. Then again, maybe he won't be a fantasy monster, given that he couldn't produce with Andrew Luck, even when Dwayne Allen was out of the lineup with his injury issues.

This is an easy Millen. I don't understand what the Saints saw in him to make them believe that he's worth more than $7 million per year. Fleener, an average starter at best, would've been overpaid had he gotten half as much.
Read more at 2016 NFL Free Agent Grades: WalterFootball.com

Walt looks like nailed this signing unfortunately

Is that counting the 3 bad passes to Coleman yesterday?

I saw at least two that hit him in the hands. Define bad, because Drew has a tendency to put the ball where only his guys can go up and get it.

We didn't execute on offense yesterday.

I'm more than certain that when plays were called, Drew wasn't told to not throw to the top 3 guys. Some credit has to be given to the quality man corners the Giants have. They've got two legitimate #1 corners, and a good looking rookie in Apple. They did a good job covering Cooks-Snead-Thomas.

I saw at least two that hit him in the hands. Define bad, because Drew has a tendency to put the ball where only his guys can go up and get it.

We didn't execute on offense yesterday.

Exactly....Coleman didn't expect back shoulder on one and was interfered with on another (the one handed attempt)

I'm more than certain that when plays were called, Drew wasn't told to not throw to the top 3 guys. Some credit has to be given to the quality man corners the Giants have. They've got two legitimate #1 corners, and a good looking rookie in Apple. They did a good job covering Cooks-Snead-Thomas.

I can concede that, at the end of the day we didn't execute on offense. We definitely could have helped ourselves by running some quick slants on 3rd and short if we insisted on passing.

BUUUUT the pass at the beginning of the game that Fleener dropped that killed the drive, Snead was open on the other side of the field with no one near him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom