Brees will be back, here is why (2 Viewers)

I want Brees back strictly because it gives us the best chance to win next year. But, it’s better for our cap if he retires now and absorb the dead money now. I much rather another good shot at a ring now and deal with the extra cap stress later. If we move on from Brees, it’ll be a couple more years maybe before we have a better chance at a ring. The “maybe” is unknown. Brees performance is proven and reliable.

I agree he will be back but I disagree about the money. I think you can only delay that hit, not truly spread it. Unless Drew agrees to a huge pay cut to help offset the money, we are taking that hit. The salary cap will go up soon but that difference will be gobbled up immediately by any free agents that have their contracts come due that year.
This is what I’m thinking - pretty sure it just delays and intensifies the inevitable cap hit

Bringing Brees back is the safe choice, but we are not winning a SB unless we build a defense that’s at least top five in the league. Brees isn’t good enough to beat any team with a middle of the pack defense anymore. We missed out on that window with flat out terrible defenses.

Giving Taysom the opportunity may give us the ability to score more points consistently by doing it in different ways. We saw in the Vikings playoff game that the o-line was having issues and our Brees game plan wasn’t going to work. Taysom can at least use his legs in that scenario as he showed in that very same game. But the risk with Taysom is that we miss out on the playoffs entirely because he is not a proven starter QB and we have to have expectation set for that situation.

I personally want Brees here until he retires, but we have to understand that we know what we are getting. Brees has the safest of floor, but the ceiling is capped. Taysom brings excitement because we don’t know what we’re getting, but the possibility for a higher ceiling is there.

He will be back because swimmer said that pete said so.

In pete we trust

This will be very similar to Dallas when they were platooning Roger Staubach and Craig Morton.
It will serve Payton well to check into the NFL films archives, if the Saints are going this route.

Watching him on the sidelines for 5 games watching Teddy out there let’s me know he’s not ready to call it quits yet. He still has that passion and drive, he’ll be back

I hope he'll be back. I'm positive the team wants him back. Salary-cap situation says we need him back.

I'm just not sold that Drew's going to decide to play another year. Before 2019 season I was positive he'd retire after the season... win or lose. During the season, I started leaning towards thinking he'd stick around one more year. Now that the season is over, I'm literally 50/50 on which he'll choose.

Another thing I've been wondering is whether or not Drew's already made up his mind and if SP/ML know the answer. I'd hope that he'd at least give the decision-makers the info they need to plan accordingly.

I'm pretty much certain that he wants to play another year, but I think it goes deeper than that. He's probably weighing whether or not he can physically, mentally, and emotionally go all-in 100% again.

I believe Brees will be back.
Taysom will be the understudy.
We probably draft a quarterback like Jourdan Love in the first round.
I would prefer, and I think it best to draft a WR #1, even though the draft is a deep WR Class. Second priority for First Round pick would be CB.
We might see our SAINTS trade a couple of our prized veterans for like a First or Second Round pick. I think I will keep an eye on what we do with Kamara and Cam Jordan.
We have all seen the posts of a Kamara trade possibility, but Cam not so much.
Even though Cam had a great season he is getting long in his career. So get what you can while he is still a great player for the next 2-3 years.
We have a Salary Cap problem in trying to sign all of our young talented talent.

I agree with everything with exception of drafting Jordan Love. Jordan Love is terrible.

He just certain tools like great arm talent that puts him in conversation to be in the first round.

He has been super inconsistent his whole collegiate career and hasn't shown that he is able to go through his progressions.

While me have arm strength, he doesnt have the finesse to fit it into certain windows. He lacks the touch of a starting caliber NFL QB.

He just isn't a fit for a Sean Payton led offense and I would be extremely surprised if the Saints draft him.

Dudes got bust written all over him

I agree with everything with exception of drafting Jordan Love. Jordan Love is terrible.

He just certain tools like great arm talent that puts him in conversation to be in the first round.

He has been super inconsistent his whole collegiate career and hasn't shown that he is able to go through his progressions.

While me have arm strength, he doesnt have the finesse to fit it into certain windows. He lacks the touch of a starting caliber NFL QB.

He just isn't a fit for a Sean Payton led offense and I would be extremely surprised if the Saints draft him.

Dudes got bust written all over him

Yep the Mahomes <> Love comparison that I've seen is bad and lazy. Mahomes ran sophisticated offense run by a head coach who now coaches in the NFL. He showed the ability to read defenses just fine in college. His issues were his throwing motion and the fact that he never took snaps from under center. Love's got much bigger and deeper issues. Not to say he can't overcome them, but he's really, really raw.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom