Brees wouldn't have faired any better vs Panthers? Really? (1 Viewer)

Smooth_Criminal

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
I keep hearing that Jameis was under so much pressure (true) and that Drew would have not faired any better. What people aren't saying is this: That pressure was manufactured Blitzes.
Blitzes that were tipped off and shown before the ball was snapped.

Enter Drew Brees. He used to eat the blitz up. If you showed blitz he would recognize it, change the play if needed and burn the defense with a hot read. Don't believe me? Look it up. Drew's stats vs the blitz were amazing.

The link I provided is ons of many, and this was even late in Brees' career well past his prime.

Please stop expecting or comparing Jameisn Winston to one of the Goats.

It's like memories have been erased in 6 months. Brees made our team competitive and overperform to numerous victories. We have always had at least serviceable offensive lines but Drew made that plug and play factor work just by having his talents. How many times did we see some third string lineman come off the bench and we finish the game strong that had a ton to do with Brees.

Brees would have done better. He would have audibled out of some of those obvious blitzes, that werent disguised. I dont know what the hell Sean is doing, but he must begin to tell Jameis to freaking change the play. They only 2 games in together and they have to establish plays for him to audible to....so we just new right now. He cant kill if he havent worked with the line on the 1st kill option, 2nd kill option etc.

We back down to earth, and I bet you Sean and Jameis coming back strong.

I keep hearing that Jameis was under so much pressure (true) and that Drew would have not faired any better. What people aren't saying is this: That pressure was manufactured Blitzes.
Blitzes that were tipped off and shown before the ball was snapped.

Enter Drew Brees. He used to eat the blitz up. If you showed blitz he would recognize it, change the play if needed and burn the defense with a hot read. Don't believe me? Look it up. Drew's stats vs the blitz were amazing.

The link I provided is ons of many, and this was even late in Brees' career well past his prime.

Please stop expecting or comparing Jameisn Winston to one of the Goats.
Well one thing we can say, Drew wasn’t under that much pressure one time as a Saint. Of course he would have been better, he’s a HOF’er. People shouldn’t expect Winston to be Brees, that won’t ever happen. But he doesn’t win that game or anything, not under the same circumstances and how it played out

I don't think anyone would compare Winston to Brees. Brees was the master at his position. Brees would make all the adjustment necessary. Winston is not that type of quarterback. He has been in the league for a long time and it is time to accept that the way he is. But keep in mind we can't put all the blame on Winston yesterday.

There was an interview with Luke Keuchly and he said that the Panthers stopped trying to disguise their defense against Brees because it was just a waste of time. That is crazy. Arguably the best MLB when he was active saying that he gave up trying to outwit Brees.

If one of the issues involved the line calls, then things would have been different because Drew handled all of those expertly over the course of his career. Drew also would have, even in his last year, identified and threw to the open receiver, albeit short chain moving passes. Would this have changed the outcome - I have no idea but clearly we would not have been embarrassed by the Caroling blitzing.

Brees is gone. BUT!! for sake of argument, Brees would of made those line calls to pick up those pre snap blitzes and would of gotten the ball out of his hand. Winston ran the play called despite the blitz and never recognized it and that was the reason if felt like he was under heavy pressure the entire game, if anything Payton is seeing what he actually has in Winston and will be an up and down year at the QB position.

Brees is gone. BUT!! for sake of argument, Brees would of made those line calls to pick up those pre snap blitzes and would of gotten the ball out of his hand. Winston ran the play called despite the blitz and never recognized it and that was the reason if felt like he was under heavy pressure the entire game, if anything Payton is seeing what he actually has in Winston and will be an up and down year at the QB position.
But but but... The long ball is back.

Of course he would he been here 15 years. Jameis is yet to have a Training Camp where he dont have another QB taking half snaps and playing one of the Pre-S games.

This is on Sean now. He played these d*ck - d*ck games and havent even established a smooth audible system, nor line call adjustments, which takes time. Now add-in the guys Jameis have a rapport with, are all out.

Brees would have definitely done better but I could even see him throwing a pick in this game. But the difference is he would probably overcome that and adjust to the defense. Hes a HOF bound qb for a reason.
Yeah, my verdict would be "Better, yes. Win the game, no." We saw what Brees looked like vs. the Vikings in the 2019 playoffs when the offensive line had a bad game (he had a terrible floating duck up-for-grabs INT in the 1st half that game). He's a HOFer, so he probably would've been better than Jameis (old Brees might've suffered another collapsed lung yesterday though), but we most definitely had losses in Brees' tenure that were tied to poor OL play.

Of course he would he been here 15 years. Jameis is yet to have a Training Camp where he dont have another QB taking half snaps and playing one of the Pre-S games.

This is on Sean now. He played these d*ck - d*ck games and havent even established a smooth audible system, nor line call adjustments, which takes time. Now add-in the guys Jameis have a rapport with, are all out.
...what are d*ck - d*ck games....

We never played that where I'm from..🤣

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom