Brees wouldn't have faired any better vs Panthers? Really? (1 Viewer)

Winston isn’t Brees. Time to grasp reality and realize Brees isn’t going to superman us out of issues, it’s back to most teams, an eleven man effort on every play.
I would like to add that Winston should not get all the blame. Even most of it. However, I expect this type of performance from a rookie, but this is a guy who has been in the league 5 or more years. I try to spread blame everywhere, but being a veteran himself, he should of known.

Drew was great at recognizing blitzes and exploiting them... but Drew also struggled against physical defenses that could establish pressure up the middle and keep the receivers locked down. He was great the majority of the time but let's not act like he didn't have bad days where he would get roughed up, throw picks and lose the game. Remember the playoffs last year against the Bucs or the previous year against the Vikings? What about those years we struggled against great defensive teams like Seattle, San Francisco, and Chicago?

All I'm saying is Drew was a human being too. It's possible we would have looked better, maybe. I think the outcome would have still been the same.

Really.......Sean really believed Taysom was the next Steve Young, and the QB after Drew was in the building? Taysom was playing special teams in the last games of last season, and is playing special teams this season. He was on the kicking team in the Panthers game. Ask yourself why. If Sean ever really saw him as the "guy" at QB, why would Sean expose his #2 QB to special teams? Because he isn't really the #2 QB, Winston goes down, and you will see Trevor or Book come in. Why do you think we kept 4 QBs?
I was replying to the image you painted of Sean as someone who typically goes around, flapping his gums to the media with a bunch of over-the-top nonsense... That's not his persona at all.

Brees would have did this. Brees would have did that. We can do this all day. The fact of the matter is that Brees is retired and no longer on the team. It's benefits no one to keep up this "Brees woulda" conversations. The Oline didn't block (essentially 2 starters missing from the Oline with one being the most import piece). The WR's didn't get open (2 starters missing including one who is considered a top 5 WR in the league) and the play calling was not effective. Our defense was missing 4 key starters (Kwon & CGJ could have been infinitely more effective covering McCaffery).

There's a lot of selective memory going on these "Brees would have" threads but that's alright because video doesn't forget. The team that played Sunday was not the team that beat the Packers. The team that beat the Packers was not missing 6 starters and 8 coaches. That right there should be the end of the discussion. But no, we have two camps that seem to show a sense of satisfaction with this performance as some kind of vindication. You have the Hill fans who are still butthurt that he did not and could not and should not have beaten out Winston and you have the member berry fans who can't let go of the fact that Drew Brees is no longer on this team.

I was replying to the image you painted of Sean as someone who typically goes around, flapping his gums to the media with a bunch of over-the-top nonsense... That's not his persona at all.
I think you are misrepresenting what I said. Sean is the most cryptic coach in the NFL. He was being very glib in his comments to the media is a long way from "over the top nonsense." But, what he said was hyperbole. And that is classic Sean.

Brees would have did this. Brees would have did that. We can do this all day. The fact of the matter is that Brees is retired and no longer on the team. It's benefits no one to keep up this "Brees woulda" conversations. The Oline didn't block (essentially 2 starters missing from the Oline with one being the most import piece). The WR's didn't get open (2 starters missing including one who is considered a top 5 WR in the league) and the play calling was not effective. Our defense was missing 4 key starters (Kwon & CGJ could have been infinitely more effective covering McCaffery).

There's a lot of selective memory going on these "Brees would have" threads but that's alright because video doesn't forget. The team that played Sunday was not the team that beat the Packers. The team that beat the Packers was not missing 6 starters and 8 coaches. That right there should be the end of the discussion. But no, we have two camps that seem to show a sense of satisfaction with this performance as some kind of vindication. You have the Hill fans who are still butthurt that he did not and could not and should not have beaten out Winston and you have the member berry fans who can't let go of the fact that Drew Brees is no longer on this team.
There is the 3rd camp, that thinks Winston walks on water and is above criticisms. I know alot think Brees walked on water, but he earned that. Winston hasn't... yet. Winston very well could earn that status in a few years, big shoes to fill.

All in all you make great points, but comes down to the fact that all 3 camps are somewhat wrong, and all three camps have a little bit correct. The truth lies somewhere in the middle.

All said & done, we were woefully short players, coaches, & preparation. Drew would have done much better in covering the deficiencies, but would probably have still lost, and is no longer here 😪. Winston should have done better at recognizing and countering Carolina's blitz scheme, not overcome, just better. Winston took ownership of that, & will improve. Oline was embarrassed, Brady helped take advantage of our weaknesses in wk 2, don't expect it to continue, that has never been CSP style.

Who Dat!

There is the 3rd camp, that thinks Winston walks on water and is above criticisms. I know alot think Brees walked on water, but he earned that. Winston hasn't... yet. Winston very well could earn that status in a few years, big shoes to fill.

All in all you make great points, but comes down to the fact that all 3 camps are somewhat wrong, and all three camps have a little bit correct. The truth lies somewhere in the middle.

All said & done, we were woefully short players, coaches, & preparation. Drew would have done much better in covering the deficiencies, but would probably have still lost, and is no longer here 😪. Winston should have done better at recognizing and countering Carolina's blitz scheme, not overcome, just better. Winston took ownership of that, & will improve. Oline was embarrassed, Brady helped take advantage of our weaknesses in wk 2, don't expect it to continue, that has never been CSP style.

Who Dat!
Well thank you for your unbiased opinion:rolleyes:.

Bravo....Well said....

Who Dat!
As a huge JW fan, I was very disappointed and the Tampa JW was in display again last week. I have no idea why he cant stop passing the ball with his left hand. That ridiculous play should have been eliminated out of his system 3 years ago. JW again try to throw off balance when he his body is lying foot from the ground. JW for years now states he wont do that and play for the next down but...he continuously gets in a brain freeze under duress. He just cant get it out of his system. JW is a smart smart person outside the field but on the field he still is slow and bonehead mentally. Frustrating because he has regressed

However, I blame Sean Payton more. This comical QB drama all TC was a joke and total waste of time and deterred JW development for this season. Payton was busy getting married and going to movie sets while Joe Brady was teaching/coaching/developing Darnold for 2 months. What peeps dont talk about is the huge absence of Joe Lombardi. JW presently has a wr coach as QB coach.

we need to win 2 out of the next 3 games

Who Dat!
Well said

Think we are handling this transition pretty well, so far. We have fringe, always, some that thought Brees actually was Jesus with a football, and we have those that dont want a bad word ever said about Jameis. Surprise, they are both human. Brees performance against Tampa and Jameis performance last week should shake all of that nonsense out of us, so we can be more pragmatic.

I dont expect us to be as bad as last week, but we definitely wont be as good as week one. Take it one game at a time.

Think we are handling this transition pretty well, so far. We have fringe, always, some that thought Brees actually was Jesus with a football, and we have those that dont want a bad word ever said about Jameis. Surprise, they are both human. Brees performance against Tampa and Jameis performance last week should shake all of that nonsense out of us, so we can be more pragmatic.

I dont expect us to be as bad as last week, but we definitely wont be as good as week one. Take it one game at a time.

Actually I put Brees poor performance against TB squarely on the shoulders of our coach. He was obviously not healthy, torn rotator cuff and all and really should not have been playing at all. That said, you are correct they are both human.

I totally agree with your last sentence. I think we really don't know what we have with this team until all hands (or most at least) are on deck, until then I'm hoping we can hover around .500

There is the 3rd camp, that thinks Winston walks on water and is above criticisms.
I can't agree with this at all. There isn't a group of posters here who think Winston is beyond reproach. Making posts about why Winston is a better QB than Hill or saying that Winston should be the starter over Hill is not the same as defending bad decisions (which he had multiple of in both the win and the loss). Pointing out bad play by the Oline and bad game planning by Payton is not the same as defending bad QB play.

The closest thing to a 3rd camp of people who think Winston walks on water and is above criticism is the group of people, including myself, who approached Winston as the starter with cautious optimism that having learned from Brees and Payton and matured as a person, the Saints could get a much better version of Tampa Bay Winston and bring back an element to the Saints offense that has been missing for several seasons. That's not thinking Winston walks on water and is above criticism.

I challenge you to show where there is a group of people who defend any and everything that Winston does under center because otherwise, that charge is an complete over exaggeration and misrepresentation of what is actually being said.

I kinda felt a few day's before the game when i saw Brees in that lowe's commercial wearing the Panthers colors that something didn't feel right. Brees gave us da gre gre! lol

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom