Brees wouldn't have faired any better vs Panthers? Really? (1 Viewer)

Well one thing we can say, Drew wasn’t under that much pressure one time as a Saint. Of course he would have been better, he’s a HOF’er. People shouldn’t expect Winston to be Brees, that won’t ever happen. But he doesn’t win that game or anything, not under the same circumstances and how it played out

Payton frustrated me yesterday, not sure what he was up to. But they kept pressing all the time and don’t remember a single screen play called in the last 3 quarters!

Payton frustrated me yesterday, not sure what he was up to. But they kept pressing all the time and don’t remember a single screen play called in the last 3 quarters!
It really did make me realize that I don’t think a lot of us realize how important those other coaches are. It was almost like you could see or sense that Payton was spread so thin all week that the game plan and the adjustments within that game plan were negatively impacted

While I agree completely with your Brees argument about the blitz, I would worry about our currrent crop of WR and their ability to get open...

LOL, the QB competition, with a QB and a slash guy. Just name the QB early and use the Training Camp to work deeper things with one QB. Reports came out that all the players knew Jameis would winx if that's true, we could be much farther with them gelling together. When things break down, it will expose a lack of training and preparation. We lost a bunch of time with Jameis in TC with the Competition. Now we have to see On The Job training and improvement.
You are correct. Sean put himself in the trick bag with his "we got our QB in the building", and "the next Steve Young" talk. He was trying to build Taysom's confidence, but Taysom called him on it and wanted to compete. Winston or Taysom should have been named the starter at the beginning of camp....................PERIOD! This is classic Sean shooting his mouth off to the press and it came back and bit him in the a$$. This competition was an abject failure on all fronts.

The Taysom fans were buoyed by Sean's comments to the press. Which were total CSP BS. So, Taysom was not seen as the long shot, that he was to be the starter. Sean failed to give either QB the snaps needed in camp and preseason to compete. If there is anyone deserving of blame for the loss. It is Sean's big mouth, and lack of grit, to just call the starter coming out of camp.........or before. Feelings be damned. You are picking a QB, not a son in law.

Didn't Brees throw three interceptions getting blitzed like crazy by the bucs in the playoffs, though? Don't have any stats or anything, but I seem to remember him getting blitzed a lot.
Picking up blitz, OL holding up under pressure and calling plays to defeat the blitz .... def was a problem in all playoffs last 4 years. Also the first 4 games if each season, but we bounce back and have game 4 to 16 as rebounds.

Sean and Jameis will figure this out

You are correct. Sean put himself in the trick bag with his "we got our QB in the building", and "the next Steve Young" talk. He was trying to build Taysom's confidence, but Taysom called him on it and wanted to compete. Winston or Taysom should have been named the starter at the beginning of camp....................PERIOD! This is classic Sean shooting his mouth off to the press and it came back and bit him in the a$$. This competition was an abject failure on all fronts.

The Taysom fans were buoyed by Sean's comments to the press. Which were total CSP BS. So, Taysom was not seen as the long shot, that he was to be the starter. Sean failed to give either QB the snaps needed in camp and preseason to compete. If there is anyone deserving of blame for the loss. It is Sean's big mouth, and lack of grit, to just call the starter coming out of camp.........or before. Feelings be damned. You are picking a QB, not a son in law.
Both of you are darn funny. When your team just lost a franchise quarterback for the past 15 and aren't really sure who is better at their respective position, it is only natural to have a competition. When Brees retire, was it unanimous within the fan base and media on who should be the starting quarterback? There were alot of back and forth. No one really know. There were the Taysom camp and the Winston camp. The comment made by Sean, I will admit, was very immature and dumb. But it was made a few season ago. Sean saw enough of Taysom last season and Winston reputations that a competition is needed.

I'm still waiting on Deuce's breakdown but Nick's film review makes our line communication look terrible. There were a couple of plays where Ruiz wasn't even blocking anyone. Yes, it would not have been as bad with Drew but pressure makes all QBs look bad.

It really did make me realize that I don’t think a lot of us realize how important those other coaches are. It was almost like you could see or sense that Payton was spread so thin all week that the game plan and the adjustments within that game plan were negatively impacted

I agree with this wholeheartedly, I also think you have to give credit to Carolina's D....I've been searching for the information but can't seem to find anything, does anyone know when the coaches will return?

Brees would have done better. He would have audibled out of some of those obvious blitzes, that werent disguised. I dont know what the hell Sean is doing, but he must begin to tell Jameis to freaking change the play. They only 2 games in together and they have to establish plays for him to audible to....so we just new right now. He cant kill if he havent worked with the line on the 1st kill option, 2nd kill option etc.

We back down to earth, and I bet you Sean and Jameis coming back strong.

It doesn't help that they weren't really dialing up exotic blitzes. They were just sending everyone at Peat every play and getting home EVERY play......

Has Brees ever had to play a game without all of those position coaches that were missing? If you ever played the game at a high level then you'd know how big of a factor that is in game preparation.

I keep hearing that Jameis was under so much pressure (true) and that Drew would have not faired any better. What people aren't saying is this: That pressure was manufactured Blitzes.
Blitzes that were tipped off and shown before the ball was snapped.

Enter Drew Brees. He used to eat the blitz up. If you showed blitz he would recognize it, change the play if needed and burn the defense with a hot read. Don't believe me? Look it up. Drew's stats vs the blitz were amazing.

The link I provided is ons of many, and this was even late in Brees' career well past his prime.

Please stop expecting or comparing Jameisn Winston to one of the Goats.
Ummm, were most of the pressures from blitzes or from them stepping over Peat in a heap 1 second after snap of ball? It was a mixed bag, for sure. They became so confident that they didn't even HAVE to blitz. Definition of a turnstile

Ummm, were most of the pressures from blitzes or from them stepping over Peat in a heap 1 second after snap of ball? It was a mixed bag, for sure. They became so confident that they didn't even HAVE to blitz. Definition of a turnstile
Man, exactly....
One play they rushed 3 and 1 of them was a DB and they still got back there......

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom