Brexit challenges (Update: EU and UK have a deal) (1 Viewer)

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
As PM Theresa May gets set to deliver her government's transition plan to bring Brexit to fruition, add Boris Johnson, one of the key faces of the Leave vote, to the tally of Brexit supporters who have resigned over disagreement with the Prime Minister's plan for Britain to leave the EU. This comes on the heels of Brexit Secretary David Davis's resignation from the post where he led the UK delegation in negotiations with the EU.

The UK will be out of the EU as of March and officials want to have a deal in place by October that will set key pieces of the exit and the subsequent relationship.

Boris Johnson has resigned as Foreign Secretary amid a growing political crisis over the UK's Brexit strategy.

He is the second senior cabinet minister to quit within hours following Brexit Secretary David Davis's exit. His departure came shortly before Theresa May is due to address Parliament about her new Brexit plan, which has angered many Tory MPs.

In a statement, No 10 thanked Mr Johnson for his work and said a replacement would be announced shortly.

The BBC's political editor Laura Kuenssberg said Mr Johnson's exit had turned an "embarrassing and difficult situation for the PM into potentially a full-blown crisis".
Boris Johnson quits amid Brexit crisis

David Davis, who has been leading UK negotiations to leave the EU, has quit his role as Brexit Secretary

He told the BBC that he was no longer the best person to deliver the PM's Brexit plan - agreed by the cabinet on Friday - as he did not "believe" in it.

He said the "career-ending" decision was a personal one but he felt the UK was "giving away too much and too easily" to the EU in the negotiations.

Mrs May said she did not agree but thanked him for his work.

The resignation is a blow to Mrs May as she seeks to win over Eurosceptic MPs to her proposed Brexit vision, which would form the basis of the UK's position in on-going talks with the EU.

xpuma20x

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Perhaps I'm a bit confused here. So these guys pushed the vote to leave, but are not resigning because they don't like HOW the country is going to leave? Maybe someone can clear things up a bit more for me please?

SDotJeezy

Watch my flow!
Reaction score
Of course he quit, he ran the Brexit campaign on lies and when he actually won/got what he wanted, he had 0 idea on how to implement Brexit. Where have we seen that before? "Day 1, i'm going to get rid of that disaster Obamacare" how did that turn out??? I just wish our "Brexit++" had the decency to quit as well

OP
superchuck500

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Perhaps I'm a bit confused here. So these guys pushed the vote to leave, but are not resigning because they don't like HOW the country is going to leave? Maybe someone can clear things up a bit more for me please?
Yes, basically. But I think the gist of their view is that there are some many compromises and entanglements that will remain under the plan that it isn’t really an ‘exit’ at all - but some kind of halfway hybrid. So looking at it that way, it is at least consistent for them to say “we wanted Brexit and this isn’t that.”

OP
superchuck500

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
From the Economist:

Following Mr Davis, the charge against the Chequers agreement was joined by Steve Baker, a junior Brexit minister who resigned with his boss. He has also accused Mrs May of giving too much away to the EU, claiming the government has made “mistakes” all along in its negotiations with Brussels. He claims that his department was “blindsided” by the prime minister’s proposals, which include remaining in a common regulatory area with the EU for goods. Mr Baker argues that this represents a “significant evolution” from Mrs May’s previous speeches on the subject.

Backbench Brexiteers were much less polite this morning. Jacob Rees-Mogg, the leader of the main Tory pressure group advocating a hard Brexit, the European Research Group, said the Chequers agreement sought to “stymie” Brexit rather than deliver it. Another Tory MP, Marcus Fysh, called the government’s policy an “absolute stinker”; his colleague Andrew Bridgen said he had “no confidence” in Mrs May’s policy, and thus no confidence in her. He warned darkly that “a large number of my colleagues will have that same view”, raising the prospect of a leadership challenge. That requires the nod from just 15% of the parliamentary party, 48 MPs. Mr Bridgen predicts a “huge backlash” among Tory MPs over the Chequers agreement.

At least Mrs May has received the backing of some of the other Brexiteers in the cabinet. Michael Gove, the environment secretary, was the first to back the Chequers policy publicly. Liam Fox, the trade secretary, has also backed her. This morning Andrea Leadsom, the leader of the House of Commons, supported her.
Boris goes

saintmdterps

If we give ya the boogie, can ya handle it?
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Supposedly many cast votes in favor of Brexit as a protest vote. However, the campaign was run on lies and chimera much like the Trump campaign in the US election. So lo and behold, these protest votes turned out to be the deciding factor.

OP
superchuck500

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Of course he quit, he ran the Brexit campaign on lies and when he actually won/got what he wanted, he had 0 idea on how to implement Brexit. Where have we seen that before? "Day 1, i'm going to get rid of that disaster Obamacare" how did that turn out??? I just wish our "Brexit++" had the decency to quit as well
It’s hard to view it as quitting, I think you have to view it a move to challenge the PM’s determination to make a “soft” Brexit. The dynamics of a parliamentary system are different.

Away from the cabinet, he can go back to barking about it - which is what he does best. Apparently he wasn’t all that into being foreign minister anyway. But I really don’t know, I’m curious to see what @Arathrael can add.

coldseat

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
These are the dangers of democracies laid bare for all to see when you have to much ignorance, corruptions and anger in a democratic society. The founding fathers where very concerned about this and tried to build in protections against this sort of stuff here in the US, but they don't seem to have worked. The EC would not have voted to elect Trump as president if it functioned as originally intended.

SDotJeezy

Watch my flow!
Reaction score
These are the dangers of democracies laid bare for all to see when you have to much ignorance, corruptions and anger in a democratic society. The founding fathers where very concerned about this and tried to build in protections against this sort of stuff here in the US, but they don't seem to have worked. The EC would not have voted to elect Trump as president if it functioned as originally intended.
And if that would've happened we would've had a Redneck rebellion like you've never seen before. The EC didn't serve its purpose, but society today is so fractured that we sit at the cusp of an actual shooting civil war in the US, all it takes is the right match to light the powder keg of stupid and the EC doing it's job would've been it. Mentally we're already there, calling the other party enemies and so on, all it takes is the right trigger for people to take to the streets with the mass of arms they've stockpiled.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom