Brian Baldinger on Pierre Thomas/McFadden (1 Viewer)

I wish PT was a bit heavier though, to fulfill teh thunder part of teh Thunder pack-at 210, hes still sorta lightining-and thats Bush's role.

Some of the best backs in history weren't big bruising types. Actually, large, punishing RB's don't last very long. There are a handful of exceptions of course, like The Bus.

What's so impressive about his assessment of PT is that Baldy is a former NFL player. His opinion should have a lot more weight then let's say John Clayton or Peter King. Good read and thanks for the link!

Send this to Jones, so Dallas can offer their #1s for Thomas.:mwink:

You know, I was truly impressed with Pierre Thomas after that Bears game... Regardless of whether you want to say that the Bears defense wasn't what it used to be or whatever, the kid really did show some "real" ability. The vision, the decisiveness, the power, the quickness... those are things you can't teach. The kid is a gamer.

That same Bear defense pretty much stifled the so called superback Adrian Peterson 2 weeks prior to playing the Saints. They also held Green Bay's back in check. It makes Pt's game even more special IMO.

I like PT, but John Fourcade looked like a legitimate NFL quarterback for three games at the end of the 1989 season, too...

Let's hold off on preparing his Saints HOF bust until he strings a few games like this together first, huh?

The shot against Reggie was unnecessary, but it is a great compliment to Pierre, and our scouting department.
I remember during the Bears broadcast they said that Ron Turner had tried to bring Pierre to Chicago but their scouting dept. waiting to make the move because they weren't sure about him. He would have started for them.
He is a great asset to our team, and hopefully he will be a Saint for a long time.

That's an excellent comparison IMO... I've never thought about it before, but now that you mentioned it, PT does run very similar to Emmit Smith.

Emmitt Smith 5'10" 226lbs.

Pierre Thomas 5'11" 210lbs

I didn't realize Emmitt was that big.

IIRC, Emmitt was right at 210 lbs his rookie year. I think PT has better moves than Emmitt did, but Emmitt had that perfect wiggle to get a defender just off-balance enough to plow right through his tackle.

Felix Jones = Lendale White

Darren McFadden = Reggie Bush

I have watched football a lot. Hoping to be a scout one day. I like Felix Jones and i think he is a good RB. But McFadden will be better than him. It is one thing I noticed about McFadden than Felix. When McFadden runs he makes one cut and he is off to the races.
Once he sees daylight the guy is upfield and if you get in his way he will bulldoz you.

On the other hand Felix Jones is a good RB but he shys away from contact (BUSH). He is more of a shifty RB than McFadden. When it comes down to drafting it will depend on what type of RB the team drafting would want on their team.

But I would take McFadden if I was the Saints because we already have a shifty RB in Bush. We do not need a bruiser of a RB since we have seen Pierre Thomas in action.

At the #10 pick we need to go best Defensive Player available. LB,CB, or DT

Last edited:
Some of the best backs in history weren't big bruising types. Actually, large, punishing RB's don't last very long. There are a handful of exceptions of course, like The Bus.

understood, but with bush at 205 and PT at 210 its less 'thunder and lightining' and more 'a slight rumble off in the distance and lightning'.

Felix Jones = Lendale White

Darren McFadden = Reggie Bush

Is comparing Jones to White, who averaged 3.7 a carry this year, supposed to be some way of saying he'll be better then McFadden or Bush?

Jones will be a much better RB then Lendel White. White is a big fat runningback with no versitility who won't make it as a starter much longer only churning out 3.7 a carry, since he has no other upside or recieving ability to make up for it.

We have a diamond in the rough in Pierre Thomas. I'm not ready to trade Reggie Bush by any means but get him in space and on return teams.

This has been discussed exhaustively, but Reggie can be productive if used correctly... I really never understood Payton's stubborness in trying to force him to be an every down back. I still believe he can learn to hit the holes, but I prefer using him in the slot, as a receiver, and occassionally as an RB - at least until he proves otherwise. I honestly would rather have Pierre as the starter next year, provided Deuce is still nursing.

For the 1st time ever, I think Baldy's right. Mcfadden reminds me of Mike Bennet. And as for our man, Pierre Thomas, he needs more touches. As of right now, he's a better "RUNNING BACK" than Reggie. He runs down hill, he makes a decisive move and gets his yards. Remember how he ran in preseason, its exactly how he ran against the Bears swarming defense. He's a guy that needs 15 - 20+ carries. He shows soft hands, and the kid doesnt fumble.

Looks like we might have a three headed monster on our hands, Deuce, Reggie, and P. Thomas. I LOVE IT!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom