Bride dies during first dance at wedding (1 Viewer)

nigel

Reaction score
Bride dies during first dance at wedding

09:52 PM CST on Saturday, February 9, 2008

Associated Press

DAVIE, Fla. -- Kim Sjostrom wanted a real-life version of the film “My Big Fat Greek Wedding,” which played in the background as friends fixed her hair and makeup before her own marriage ceremony.

But less than an hour after she and Teddy Efkarpides were wed, Sjostrom crumpled in her husband’s arms during a Greek song that means “Love Me.”

http://www.kvue.com/news/top/stories/020908kvuebridedies-mm.a8667a2c.html

I went to trade school with a guy who died of a heart attack during his wedding reception. I would be PO mutha if I was him. Then again I am sure most of you would say thats the best thing that could have happened to him. Not that dying i sa good thing, but that marriage is a bad thing. I wouldn't know. I don't plan to for a little while.

How tragic is that? You really have to feel for someone in that situation.

ouch!!!! that is really bad... guy finally decides to spend the rest of is life with someone and then she dies during the 1st friggin dance.... that's horrible!

Poor guy.

From a wedding to a funeral in a week's time, not to mention the possibility that his wife's family could take him for a quarter of what he's worth depending on the state he lives in.

not to mention the possibility that his wife's family could take him for a quarter of what he's worth depending on the state he lives in.

Just out of curiousity, what state would this bride's family be entitled to 25% of the guy's net worth?

Why would the family consider taking anything from him? That's like the lowest of the low.

man that is sad:(

A good friend of mine passed soon after his wedding in an auto accident and he had failed to change his life insurance policy over to his wife. His mother took the money and stood by as her daughter-in-law had to move out of the house they had purchased because she couldn't afford it by herself.

I have a relative who died 4 months after getting married. It happened the Sunday before Labor Day. He was with his new wife and in-laws at their ranch in Missouri and they were 4 wheeler riding and he hit a rock, popped a wheely, and fell of of the four-wheeler, hit his head on the rock and died two hours later. These things are incredibly tragic. His family is still freaked and will never be the same. His new wife is going through the depression, anger phases inter-twined. Just terrible.

Poor guy.

From a wedding to a funeral in a week's time, not to mention the possibility that his wife's family could take him for a quarter of what he's worth depending on the state he lives in.

Actually the situation could be just the opposite--assuming she had no will and no children (the article mentions a prior miscarriage), he'd stand to inherit all of her assets under Florida intestacy law.

http://www.finance.cch.com/pops/c50s10d190_FL.asp

They had been together for 3 years and were evidently a very solid couple, so maybe this would have been her intention anyway. (Heart-rending slideshow at the following link--

http://www.miamiherald.com/multimedia/slideshows/bride/index.html

What an awful event, and it could happen to anyone. My wife briefly passed out a few days before our wedding, and she almost did so again at the reception: at the time, it was ascribed to thyroid deficiency + nerves + reaction to an antibiotic, but--several years and doctors later--we figured out that it much more likely had been an early manifestation of a heart defect. Finally (and mostly due to my wife's own diligence), she was diagnosed properly and outfitted with an ICD (implantable cardioverter-defibrillator), just like Dick Cheney.

The articles mention that poor Mrs. Sjostrom-Efkarpides had a prior "cardiac incident," but she was also a diabetic and this is what they initially assumed was the problem at the wedding. At the hospital they told him it was blocked/hardened arteries.

http://www.miamiherald.com/top_stories/story/412701.html

Too often the signs of heart trouble are missed or not appropriately treated, especially for women.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom