Bridgewater a conundrum for Saints fans (2 Viewers)

We need to get out of the mindset of Brees, Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Mahomes, etc. Look around the league. Teddy has played like a starter any way you slice it.

If Brees retires this year he is definitely in the running to get the job. I'd say he's at least a top 15-25 QB in this league right now. That's not sexy but its also not something you pass by so easily.

He was never supposed to be our franchise QB for 10 years. He is just supposed to buy time to find the next guy. If you get lucky, in the process he might develop into that but it's not the only plan. He's already proven we can win with him while we sort it out.

Of course, if Brees re-signs Bridgwater is gone and he was just a good backup for us.
judging by Brees' demeanor on the sidelines, id say no way he doesnt come back next year. hes still got the fire

I don't think Bridgewater is the quarterback of the future. He could possibly be a bridge for a year or so after Brees, depending on his contract amount. But as a starter, he is a below-average starting quarterback in the NFL. And teams do not win consistently, certainly not at a high level, in the NFL with below-average quarterbacks. In the next two years, the team will draft a quarterback in the first round.

See...that is the problem. HE is not 4-0...the team is
You are wording it like he is somehow solely, or mostly, responsible for that accomplishment and that simply is not true
Semantics.... Its no different than saying Drew is 4-0. We all know the QB gets all the credit and the blame.

Completing 70% of his passes, while not definitive is pretty far from inconsistent with accuracy. People are just looking for reasons to not like Teddy, now.

Completing 70% of his passes, while not definitive is pretty far from inconsistent with accuracy. People are just looking for reasons to not like Teddy, now.

Agreed...that and we know exactly what we have in him after 4 complete games....

I don't know how anyone can say TB is inaccurate. What I can say is he is the least aggressive QB running a system for a very aggressive playcaller. I don't see how that works long term....which is the point of contention here. It's not a good fit, IMO.

Saints only scored 10 points on that same Dallas defense last season... AND LOST!!!

In Dallas. With a hobbled offensive line. And the Dallas defense isn’t as good as it was last year.

I wasn’t going to reply, but man are you serious? Teddy will never be close to Brees, any season. He is a completely different quarterback. Brees is a precision general that we have been blessed and spoiled to see and teddy simply stands there lost and sometimes makes a throw close enough to be caught. You can’t tell me that if you have watched these games that you think he is Drew’s long term replacement.

Teddy is a nice guy, but he plays like he was an average joe sitting on the couch that suddenly got a call to come play for a team. He looks like the quarterback on my son’s high school football team that doesn’t know how to read a defense and looks lost before and after each play. Put him on a team without a defense playing like ours and without Kamara and Thomas, he would have been benched after his first game.

What I’m saying is that we could have signed almost any back up in the nfl and played them instead of Teddy and we would have equaled the same result in the win loss column. This team is winning inspite of him and if you can’t see that, you are a Louisville homer or blind.

I think Bridgewater has played fine (even while struggling for most of yesterday's game). Not exceptionally well, but fine. I am definitely glad we have him and happy with his performance, even if I'm not sure that he will be out next starter.

Yours is a wild overreaction about how "bad" he is. It's pretty ridiculous actually.

He is far from perfect and not above criticism of doubt, but there are a bunch of starters making a lot more money while also playing a lot worse than Bridgewater.

Looking at 2020 and 2021 free agents, Teddy is by far the best option at QB if Drew is no longer playing, barring some ridiculous trade for a franchise guy like Ryan or Wilson that will never happen. Folks better get used to what life after Drew looks like now.

You may see the Saints take a QB this year in the draft. Good year for QBs

He’s played great when he doesn’t double pump fake and hold the ball. That’s the only issue he’s had this season is second guessing himself. When he’s confident, he usually slings a laser that’s right on target.

Yesterday was the first time I've screamed at a Saint QB since probably 05.

You cannot just pull it down, retreat and eat the ball. It was infuriating,

I am a huge Brees fan, following him closely since he came to Purdue. I think he is the GOAT at QB, and not many agree -- but a lot do admit he is one of the best of all time.

Right now Drew has already missed more games this year from injury than he missed in his entire prior career (from injury). So I think he has around 4 or 5 more years, but he may be somewhat more subject to injury than he has been. If he is available, he will be the starter when able to play.

Teddy is a former starting QB in the NFL and he has some skill as well as experience at the position. He looks to me to be better in the past four games than he ever was as a starter for another team. Perhaps age, experience, as well as working closely with Sean and Drew have helped him some. He also looks like he is still getting used to the Saints system when played at game speed.

You'll remember that Sean started working with Drew to develop our offensive system while Drew was on his initial interview trip with the Saints. The system we have has a very large play book. It is intricate, Drew and Sean have worked more than a decade to capitalize on Brees's skills and abilities. A very complicated system, designed specifically for Drew, in which Drew has a dozen years of experience.

Is it any wonder that Teddy does not look as good as Drew running it? I don't think there's anyone in the league who would look as good as Drew running the Payton-Brees offense.

So in my opinion, after only 4 games in a system designed for Drew Brees, Teddy Bridgewater looks somewhat better than the average NFL starter. He sure doesn't look like Drew at this point, and I doubt he will ever look as good as Drew in any system -- let alone in a system designed for, and partially by, Drew. But I do think he is going to get better as he continues to play in it. I also think that should Drew be unable to recover, or if (I sure hope not.) he decides to retire, Sean will begin to change the system (and recruit players best suited to play in the new system) to be a better fit for Teddy than the Payton-Brees system.

I think Teddy's upside is considerable, and I trust Sean and the team are in the best position to judge whether or not he should be the future Brees successor. I just hope he spends several more years as a backup, if he stays with the Saints.

I also suggest that anyone not named Drew Brees is going to look bad in comparison when they get here to replace him.

The team is playing for Teddy and he's winning......enough said.

Maybe, just maybe they're playing for Drew, the coaches, the fans, themselves and the team too.

Pretty much any QB could "win" the way the whole team is playing. Teddy is not high on the list of reasons we are at 5 and 1.

We’ve continued to win in spite of Bridgewater...

"Spite" is a terrible word to use here. You win in "spite" of a player when they are out there turning the ball over and constantly screwing up. You win in "spite" of a player who is out there offering nothing at all.

He's had ups and downs, but he's not out there setting the other team up with great field position or constantly wasting drives by his own hand.

And his ups have definitely helped the Saints win games. Just an extremely odd way to describe his play for the Saints. And they sure as hell didnt win in "spite" of him last week. He had a 131 passer rating last week for crying out loud.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom