Bridgewater a conundrum for Saints fans (1 Viewer)

Like Brooks at times minus the boneheaded turnovers when it’s going bad. This time we have the supporting cast to keep on winning.

If you were to design a quarterback that's the exact opposite of Aaron Brooks, it would look pretty close to Teddy Bridgewater.

They only share one similarity, and it has nothing to do with football.

Last edited:
We need to get out of the mindset of Brees, Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Mahomes, etc. Look around the league. Teddy has played like a starter any way you slice it.

If Brees retires this year he is definitely in the running to get the job. I'd say he's at least a top 15-25 QB in this league right now. That's not sexy but its also not something you pass by so easily.

He was never supposed to be our franchise QB for 10 years. He is just supposed to buy time to find the next guy. If you get lucky, in the process he might develop into that but it's not the only plan. He's already proven we can win with him while we sort it out.

Of course, if Brees re-signs Bridgwater is gone and he was just a good backup for us.
I agree for the most part. Teddy is a starting QB in this league.

This team has been built to succeed in the post-Brees era. The powers that be have built a great defense, good special teams and a mistake free offense.

We're spoiled having one of the best QBs of all time playing here for well over a decade. We've forgotten what an average starting QB looks like.

I don't know if Teddy is the replacement for Drew, but I doubt that he is. I do think he will start for someone maybe as soon as next year. I hope that the Saints manage to get their hands on a young QB, maybe by draft, that CSP can mold into a better QB than either Teddy or Taysom.

We had better get used to the idea that who ever that QB might be, it is highly unlikely that we get someone near the level of Drew. He is one of the all-time greats and going from a Montana to a Young is like hitting the lottery twice.

That's exactly right.

I wish he had more confidence in himself and his abilities. I think he also suffers from the Aaron Rodgers syndrome of fear of an interception.

That could definitely be true. I still think a lot of it is that he's being coached not to take risks. For me, it's hard to determine how much of the extreme conservative play is Payton, and how much is Bridgewater. None of us really know, unless Joe Lombardi or Sean himself have an account here. I'm still unsure whether he's the future, but he's doing just fine being the present.

On one hand he's 4-0 as a starter (although we could easily say 4-1 with the Rams loss) and his statistics actually look pretty good:

69.4% completion rate
6.9 yards per attempt
7 TDs
2 Ints
98.4 QB Rating

But then the eye test screams missed opportunities and points being left off the scoreboard.

Well, for a backup qb, the main stat for me is Give Aways!

And thankfully, TB has kept that at a very low level.

Now, if only he would stop holding and holding and holding and holding onto the ball.

And...

Step Into the Throw instead of falling away as he throws!

Geaux TB - keep those Give Aways to a Minimum

(And keep the W's coming.)

On one hand he's 4-0 as a starter (although we could easily say 4-1 with the Rams loss) and his statistics actually look pretty good:

69.4% completion rate
6.9 yards per attempt
7 TDs
2 Ints
98.4 QB Rating

But then the eye test screams missed opportunities and points being left off the scoreboard.

You mean he's playing a football game and it's unpredictable, well, yeah. Isn't that why they play the game? He's played great, but not perfect? Well, yeah. Have the Saints won all four games he's started? Well, yeah. The eye test??? You mean how the O-line isn't opening holes in the run game? You mean how AK was playing hurt? You means receivers are dropping passes at times?

Why, yes, it is a football game played by an imperfect, but really, really good football team.

He's played some great defenses.....Jags, a Dallas team that held Brees to 10 the previous year, a good Rams D, a great Houston D.....it's not like he's getting the AFC East.
That Dallas defense has been abysmal the two games following. The Jags have been mediocre and were without their most important defender. Rams also been mediocre for much of the year (Seahawks, Bucs, Cam led Panthers and even today vs the 49ers wasn't anything to write home about).

So I absolutely don't buy that he's faced some great defenses. He hasn't.

The Bears are a different story.

I think you'll see him struggle mightily and probably not get the ball into the endzone needing another 12-10 type score to win.

But as others have said he isn't losing any of these games for us with some catastrophic mistakes. And he's helping us win games. From that perspective I say he grades out as a B+/A-. But heir apparent I don't see it.

What the heck is the conundrum? This stuff is so out of hand. A conundrum implies we have to make a decision “right now.”

A lot of people seem to be making all these comments on Teddy in some Future state of being. Teddy is 4-0 now as a Starter with two of those Wins on the Road.

If Brees decides he wants to play next year Teddy is going to be gone. (Lots of teams will pay handsomely for Teddy)

Even if Brees retires we still have no indication that we’ll outpay those teams for Teddy’s services.

No conundrum for me. Teddy is 4-0 since replacing Brees, and Teddy is currently a Saints. Which means the team That I root for is 4-0 in that time. Every single one of us would have signed up for a 5-1 start, even if it meant Mickey Mouse at QB.

Yes, I get it Defense, and blah blah. The “Team” is Winning. And Teddy is a big part of that reason, he just is. Not the only reason, but certainly a big part of it.

So I don’t personally care about style points, I just don’t. I’m happy, no ecstatic, that Teddy has kept the ship floating with 4 straight victories as Brees has been hurt.

Worry about the conundrum, when an actual decision needs to be made.

Right now there is no decision needed.

If you were to design a quarterback that's the exact opposite of Aaron Brooks, it would look pretty close to Teddy Bridgewater.

They only share one similarity, and it has nothing to do with football.
The similarities I mainly notice are their indecisiveness at time, happy feet, over-throws, and ability to scramble into the sack or risky situation. Where TB is much superior is not turning it over when those risky situations occur.

What similarity are you referring to?

I aint here to bash Teddy, but anybody saying that he has led us to the 4 wins when in two of those games we only scored 12 and 13 points is giving him too much credit

It isnt like Jacksonville or Dallas has been holding other teams to those scores and no coaching staff game plans to be able to hold teams to 10 points or less in todays NFL

I aint here to bash Teddy, but anybody saying that he has led us to the 4 wins when in two of those games we only scored 12 and 13 points is giving him too much credit

It isnt like Jacksonville or Dallas has been holding other teams to those scores and no coaching staff game plans to be able to hold teams to 10 points or less in todays NFL
I agree.

But the other side of that coin are those who say we won in spite of Teddy. That isn't true either. He played his role on the team. It is a team made of 53 players and TB is doing fine as one of those 53. The wins have been a pure team effort and had any of the aspects failed we would have lost.

The Jets and Redskins both scored 20+ on Dallas.

I agree.

But the other side of that coin are those who say we won in spite of Teddy. That isn't true either. He played his role on the team. It is a team made of 53 players and TB is doing fine as one of those 53. The wins have been a pure team effort and had any of the aspects failed we would have lost.

Which kind of points to him being a high quality backup at this point. Not to say that time and familiarity wouldnt change that

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom