Bridgewater a conundrum for Saints fans (3 Viewers)

I think it’s fair to say the defense is leading the way on this win streak. And that’s no insult to Teddy. The defense has just been phenomenal lately. But Teddy is playing well and doing what he’s been asked to do and he is helping win games. Yes he has a tendency to let balls sail on him and he can take a bad sack but he has also thrown some lasers out there. He’s not perfect but he doesn’t have to be. I think he’s still growing and learning. I don’t think he’s at the point where he can put the team on his back but fortunately he hasn’t had to do that.

is he the future QB? I have no idea but he has shown he can win games.

Last edited:
Not fragile at all....actually I don't really care that much. I just figure anyone complaining about 5-1 with a back up QB must just need things to complain about. Heir...not the heir....doesn't really matter. That stuff will work itself out.

If you feel that way, then why are you bothering to argue with someone who doesnt agree with you?

And whyare you assuming that someone who is of the opinion that our backup QB is not the future is complaining about how our team is doing at present? Are you unable to comprehend that those two subjects are mutually exclusive?

One thing that anybody knowledgeable in football would agree on is that the odds of sustaining success, much less making a superbowl run, while averaging less than 19 points on offense per game is pretty bad. That is not a omplaint, that is a fact. There is a difference

Teddy is not like Joe Flacco. Joe Flacco turns the ball over when he wakes up in the AM.

You guys are spoiled. No one knows how good Teddy could be for this team with a full offseason as the #1.

That i would agree with but he did get a lot of time with the starters...remember he was starting the preseason games.

I also think the Jags got embarrassed last weak and were playing their best ball today. Their tackling was far better and they played Kamara as well as any team I have seen so far

On one hand he's 4-0 as a starter (although we could easily say 4-1 with the Rams loss) and his statistics actually look pretty good:

69.4% completion rate
6.9 yards per attempt
7 TDs
2 Ints
98.4 QB Rating

But then the eye test screams missed opportunities and points being left off the scoreboard.
Teddy has been more than we could have hoped for under these circumstances. I still think he holds the ball too long (which he won't have that luxury against the best pass rush in the NFL next Sunday.) His number are very good and we are fortunate to have him as a stop gap. I think his misses should continue to improve with more work in our system.

I think we could have beat the Jags by at least 2 TDs today with Drew.

Teddy is not like Joe Flacco. Joe Flacco turns the ball over when he wakes up in the AM.

You guys are spoiled. No one knows how good Teddy could be for this team with a full offseason as the #1.
I think we are getting a really good barometer of what it would like with Teddy as our starting QB. What does he need to start 50 games before you're convinced what we have with Bridgewater?

He is who he is. Inconsistent with his accuracy, maddeningly indecisive, protective of the ball and likely not to lose the game for you.

No one feels this way, not even Teddy...

I agree with you....nobody has said that. People seem to be projecting things upon Teddy and I'm not sure why

He is a solid NFL QB who will likely never be Brees, but I think he would improve as he goes along in the offense. We've already seen improvement since the Seattle game. He was quite good last week.

Does that mean he's Drew's replacement?? At this point, it doesn't matter. It is the 2019-2020 season and Drew is still on the roster and hopefully coming back. Teddy is doing EXACTLY what Sean paid him to do. Win games while Drew heals. No need to get any deeper than that

I agree with you....nobody has said that. People seem to be projecting things upon Teddy and I'm not sure why

He is a solid NFL QB who will likely never be Brees, but I think he would improve as he goes along in the offense. We've already seen improvement since the Seattle game. He was quite good last week.

Does that mean he's Drew's replacement?? At this point, it doesn't matter. It is the 2019-2020 season and Drew is still on the roster and hopefully coming back. Teddy is doing EXACTLY what Sean paid him to do. Win games while Drew heals. No need to get any deeper than that
Looking at 2020 and 2021 free agents, Teddy is by far the best option at QB if Drew is no longer playing, barring some ridiculous trade for a franchise guy like Ryan or Wilson that will never happen. Folks better get used to what life after Drew looks like now.

Looking at 2020 and 2021 free agents, Teddy is by far the best option at QB if Drew is no longer playing, barring some ridiculous trade for a franchise guy like Ryan or Wilson that will never happen. Folks better get used to what life after Drew looks like now.
Not going to happen. Exhibit A: all the anti TB threads after a win. Jst like everyone forgets that Drew has lost us some games( but he's won more than he has lost) and our offense has not been consistently high flying in a while.

That could definitely be true. I still think a lot of it is that he's being coached not to take risks. For me, it's hard to determine how much of the extreme conservative play is Payton, and how much is Bridgewater. None of us really know, unless Joe Lombardi or Sean himself have an account here. I'm still unsure whether he's the future, but he's doing just fine being the present.

Exactly how I feel...

I think we are getting a really good barometer of what it would like with Teddy as our starting QB. What does he need to start 50 games before you're convinced what we have with Bridgewater?

He is who he is. Inconsistent with his accuracy, maddeningly indecisive, protective of the ball and likely not to lose the game for you.

After 4 complete games (and a 4-0 record mind you) you think that is a good barometer? I wholeheartedly disagree, and I'm pretty sure SP is unsure at this point as well....I'm of the mind to let this play out and then see how we feel....it is possible Teddy has a few more games where he balls out (like against TB) or it is possible he has a terrible game or two....Some of it depends on how SP designs the offensive game plan and the defense we are playing against....

Drew Brees has nothing to worry about but teddy is just what the Dr. ordered for the here and now. Teddy has a couple more games to show me more before #9 is back in the fold.

I don't think inconsistent with his accuracy is fair. Compared to Brees sure but Brees is probably the most accurate QB ever. I think he's been well above average with his accuracy. I think the last game was an outlier. Every other game his "inaccurate" throws were still on a receiver's frame or well within their reach. You watch 32 other QBs and games like Bridgewaters last are very common. There are a lot of throws going right to DBs.

I do think his decision making can be slow. Again we are used to watching Brees do that. That is also something that can improve with time.

I don't like the "he is who he is" label. To an extent, yes, but to say he can't get better, quicker and more consistent is wrong to me.

Last edited:
One has to only look at the Jimmy Garappolo situation at QB a few years back for the Patriots. You dont take a possible starter in the future over a 1st ballot Hall of Famer at your QB spot so if Drew wants to be here he is the guy period. The only difference is the Pats got a return for Jimmy G and the Saints won't get squat when Teddy is a free agent next off season. Teddy is auditioning for another team while helping the Saints now because I see Drew on the sidelines and there is no way that man wants to give up football at the end of this season. The fire is still hot.

Last edited:
Whew. Thought I was the only one.

Just imagine how cool it could be! 74, 295 glorious voices shouting as one "EDDIE... EDDIE"

brings tears to my eyes.... magical.

:sir-saint:

As he riffs into an Eruption solo!!!

Epic.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom