Saints Bridgewater needs “special situation” to leave New Orleans. (1 Viewer)

Saint Taysom

MultiTool Tool
Reaction score
Per Mike Triplett via Rotoworld:

95A94DB8-D899-4605-8738-17C6C36BBC5B.png

I love that Bridgewater loves the team and the city... but there’s a salary cap... and the Saints aren’t swimming in cap space.
If Brees is re-signed, that will eliminate most of the Saints available room. Bridgewater isn’t taking less than he got last season, and I don’t believe the Saints can afford to pay him over $7M per and not lose other KEY pieces of the team.

One “special situation” that immediately came to my mind after reading this... a team with a very solid roster, stars on both offense and defense, and will likely be looking for a QB... The Chargers.
Rivers is finished, and they have a team that Bridgewater could step right into and lead to the playoffs.

I love that Bridgewater loves the team and the city... but there’s a salary cap... and the Saints aren’t swimming in cap space.
If Brees is re-signed, that will eliminate most of the Saints available room. Bridgewater isn’t taking less than he got last season, and I don’t believe the Saints can afford to pay him over $7M per and not lose other KEY pieces of the team.

One “special situation” that immediately came to my mind after reading this... a team with a very solid roster, stars on both offense and defense, and will likely be looking for a QB... The Chargers.
Rivers is finished, and they have a team that Bridgewater could step right into and lead to the playoffs.
Your identification of the Chargers is right on but if Ihad to pick a major city in the US that was most unlike NOLA, it would probably be L.A.!

Likely Tom Brady's landing spot.

I'll wait until FA actually starts to see how this is going to shake out. I'd love to see him back, but we've got a lot of players to sign and we definitely can't afford to give him a raise since we're not going to have Taysom Hill for pennies anymore. And we have a bunch of other FA's who need to be re-signed on top of Drew's deal if he returns.

As of today, I think the most possible cap space we'll have at the start of FA is $25MM. Even with that money, I think we'll be having to restructure some guys to sign everyone we want to keep and go get in FA.

I'll wait until FA actually starts to see how this is going to shake out. I'd love to see him back, but we've got a lot of players to sign and we definitely can't afford to give him a raise since we're not going to have Taysom Hill for pennies anymore. And we have a bunch of other FA's who need to be re-signed on top of Drew's deal if he returns.

As of today, I think the most possible cap space we'll have at the start of FA is $25MM. Even with that money, I think we'll be having to restructure some guys to sign everyone we want to keep and go get in FA.

Yeah. I think it's highly, highly unlikely we keep Teddy if Brees stays. He'll do well for some other team, and I'll root for him unless he plays us.

This is something I have wondered for awhile and was curious how it would play out. I have never seen a single report or heard it from Teddy that he wants to chase the money and a starting QB job. All of that has come from fans and talking heads like Sanders on his you ball you get the call segment.

If the money can work, which it can, there's really no need for Teddy to leave. The offense can evolve and incorporate Taysom more with Brees even if Teddy stays.

I've thought this and now I am starting to think this even more, Teddy is our Frank Reich. He may just be the calm, collected, always ready, team and fan favorite QB2. He'll learn from Brees and SP and have a long career, but it might be as QB2.

The Bears, Bucs, and Panthers are also great fits. After Burrow there are some upside QBs, but all carry risk.

Salary cap expected to increase at least $8M in 2020
By Nick Shook
Around The NFL Writer
Published: Dec. 10, 2019 at 04:47 p.m.

Business is good in the NFL.

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported the league informed clubs Tuesday it is projecting the 2020 salary cap to again increase, this time into the range of $196.8 million to $201.2 million. The increase would be more than $8 million from the current cap of $188.2 million.

Makes sense. But I don't know if there is a special situation anywhere.
Chargers: rumors of Brady if Rivers retires (is he still under contract)
Chicago: they're sticking with Mitch
Tampa: nothing special there.
Maybe Loomis makes it happen and we keep all three QBs and everyone is happy.

Interesting. That would be awesome for us if we managed to keep all 3, yet I don't see how that could happen. Another year of competition between Teddy and Taysom would be huge.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom