Bridgewater Quote (1 Viewer)

Clintonrebel

Pro-Bowler
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
“We just talked and we discussed some things. I'd rather not discuss what he and I talked about, but we had some conversations and I was glad to be able to hear what he thinks as far as this upcoming season and so on.”

Direct quote from Bridgewater interview when asked about his conversations with Payton. I'm surprised the Dallas media hasn't made hay out of this and the fact that Bridgewater only signed for one year. This could easily be construed as Payton may or may not be here next year and Payton may or may not need a QB where he goes.

Dead Falcon me all you want, but I'd really like to see SP's contract extended sooner than later.

“We just talked and we discussed some things. I'd rather not discuss what he and I talked about, but we had some conversations and I was glad to be able to hear what he thinks as far as this upcoming season and so on.”

Direct quote from Bridgewater interview when asked about his conversations with Payton. I'm surprised the Dallas media hasn't made hay out of this and the fact that Bridgewater only signed for one year. This could easily be construed as Payton may or may not be here next year and Payton may or may not need a QB where he goes.

Dead Falcon me all you want, but I'd really like to see SP's contract extended sooner than later.

It could also be construed that Payton and DB have had conversations and he knows this is DB’s last season. In fact, I’d say that’s more likely.

But I agree, I’d like to see an extension done soon.

The RIGHT QB with the RIGHT development in the RIGHT system with the RIGHT supporting roster in the RIGHT situation at the RIGHT time = Successful NFL QB with a long career

Take away any of those RIGHTs and the chances of that QB becoming just another guy that didn't work out go WAY up. In the end it is all about money, but thinking long term and making the RIGHT business decisions can be the difference between making $20 million in your career or making $200 million. That's very significant. Teddy just made some decisions like that. I hope they pay off for him and us.

OR Payton pointed out the obvious fact that taking $7 million for one year in New Orleans, where they are contending for a Super Bowl, is better than a two-year deal for $10 million in Miami, where they are actively trying to lose this year. Whether TB is in New Orleans or somewhere else in 2020, he will certainly make more than $3 million, so the Saints' deal is better financially and he doesn't have to play for a certain loser.

I also don't believe SP would ever indicate to a player that he was going to be playing out his contract and testing the market. OR reveal plans Brees has. That could be counterproductive to this season and Payton isn't known as someone who is an open book with people when there is a downside possibility. His conversation with TB was likely all about opportunity. It's better in New Orleans if Brees is injured or retires before next year and it isn't a dead end like Miami.

I’m thinking more like Brees has this year left. Then it’s Bridgewaters team. At that point Bridgewater would know the team and system completely and be able to hit the ground knowledgeable and in the best situation for success. Anywhere else he goes, he becomes a bandaid or thrown into a situation where a coach wants him to come in and learn his system. Where Payton is more than happy to tweak his system into what Bridgewater does best. We all know that this offense has been built to highlight Brees strengths, and Payton will undoubtably use this year to really learn Bridgewaters and make adjustments accordingly.

It’s a pretty simple arguement really if Bridgewater is willing to wait.

Payton does not want to walk away from the best roster that he’s built. He needs a QB who he can effectively communicate with and who can perform on the field. That’s what he told Bridgewater.

OR Payton pointed out the obvious fact that taking $7 million for one year in New Orleans, where they are contending for a Super Bowl, is better than a two-year deal for $10 million in Miami, where they are actively trying to lose this year. Whether TB is in New Orleans or somewhere else in 2020, he will certainly make more than $3 million, so the Saints' deal is better financially and he doesn't have to play for a certain loser.

I also don't believe SP would ever indicate to a player that he was going to be playing out his contract and testing the market. OR reveal plans Brees has. That could be counterproductive to this season and Payton isn't known as someone who is an open book with people when there is a downside possibility. His conversation with TB was likely all about opportunity. It's better in New Orleans if Brees is injured or retires before next year and it isn't a dead end like Miami.

Agree on all of that except the part about not "revealing" plans that Drew has. If Drew has decided when he's going to retire, then I would imagine the team knows or at least has a pretty clear idea. I think the players and coaches would keep it hush-hush out of respect for Drew, so that he can announce it when, where, and how he wants. I wouldn't want to be the guy that let that info slip. It would not go good for you.

Even if I'm wrong about all the players knowing, I'm absolutely positive that Sean Payton knows and I would think that he would speak freely about it with the QB he already publicly called "my next QB".

The quote:
I'd rather not discuss what he and I talked about, but we had some conversations and I was glad to be able to hear what he thinks as far as this upcoming season and so on.

Sounds to me like he could be saying "I'm not telling you what me and Sean Payton discussed, because it's not my place to announce this as Drew's last year".

Side note... I wonder if Drew will announce his retirement before or after the season. I'm thinking after. He doesn't like to do or say things that create distractions for the team or that takes the spotlight off of his teammates. If he announces it before this season, that is all anybody's going to talk about this year, and everything would be about him. Kamara scores 3 TDs, after the game reporters ask, "what's it like scoring 3 TD in a game during Drew's last year in the NFL???" etc...

Teddy signed a one year deal for a reason, either to not be stuck here if Payton leaves or not be stuck here if Brees stays. If Brees was definitely retiring, we would have seen them tie down Teddy with a longer contract.

If feel like when it's a slow sport news day in Dallas because they do nothing during free agency. They run the yearly Payton rumor, because they always fall for it.

Teddy signed a one year deal for a reason, either to not be stuck here if Payton leaves or not be stuck here if Brees stays. If Brees was definitely retiring, we would have seen them tie down Teddy with a longer contract.

He wouldnt tie himself into a multiyear deal even if it is Brees's last season because next year he would get a good raise... Couldnt do a multi year this season where its 7.5 and then bumped to 20, because then everyone would know this is Drew's last year

He wouldnt tie himself into a multiyear deal even if it is Brees's last season because next year he would get a good raise... Couldnt do a multi year this season where its 7.5 and then bumped to 20, because then everyone would know this is Drew's last year

Correct.

Miami Herald reported that he told the Dolphins the only way he would sign with them was a multi-year contract worth $16 M a year PLUS incentives.

He either wants starting QB money now or to re-enter the FA pool next year. He’s betting on himself, which is smart.

You don’t try to look for stuff that is in there do you?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom