Bridgewater Quote (1 Viewer)

The RIGHT QB with the RIGHT development in the RIGHT system with the RIGHT supporting roster in the RIGHT situation at the RIGHT time = Successful NFL QB with a long career

Take away any of those RIGHTs and the chances of that QB becoming just another guy that didn't work out go WAY up. In the end it is all about money, but thinking long term and making the RIGHT business decisions can be the difference between making $20 million in your career or making $200 million. That's very significant. Teddy just made some decisions like that. I hope they pay off for him and us.

Hey, it worked out pretty good for Foles!

Pretty good likelihood it works out pretty good for Bridgewater.

Teddy signed a one year deal for a reason, either to not be stuck here if Payton leaves or not be stuck here if Brees stays. If Brees was definitely retiring, we would have seen them tie down Teddy with a longer contract.

It's rather hard to have TWO QB's with Big Contracts.

It would seem to me to be more prudent to give TB the Big Contract once DB leaves.

[But, I am not a financial/Cap expert...]

I bet TB and Sean had a performance review (like many of us have had at the end of the year with our managers), and they discussed where they have seen growth, and where they would like to continue seeing growth.

I imagine (if that contract can be bumped up to $12.5MM with incentives) TB had some goals laid out by Sean that are attainable, and a means for him to win that starting job ala Steve Young behind Joe Montana.

There is NO WAY this means anything about SP leaving. Payton can’t take a QB with him to Dallas, and a good way to get banned from the NFL for life is to tamper with contracts by telling people you intend to sign somewhere else. That is strictly forbidden in all professional leagues.

I have not idea what the conversation was about but I can guarantee you Payton never ever said he was going somewhere else, so sign a one year deal and move on next year. That can’t happen in the NFL.

Can’t wait to see Payton sign an extension before the season starts.

“We just talked and we discussed some things. I'd rather not discuss what he and I talked about, but we had some conversations and I was glad to be able to hear what he thinks as far as this upcoming season and so on.”

Direct quote from Bridgewater interview when asked about his conversations with Payton. I'm surprised the Dallas media hasn't made hay out of this and the fact that Bridgewater only signed for one year. This could easily be construed as Payton may or may not be here next year and Payton may or may not need a QB where he goes.

Dead Falcon me all you want, but I'd really like to see SP's contract extended sooner than later.
Payton signed a 5 year contract in 2016. He belongs to the Saints until 2021 unless they fire or trade him.

The RIGHT QB with the RIGHT development in the RIGHT system with the RIGHT supporting roster in the RIGHT situation at the RIGHT time = Successful NFL QB with a long career

Take away any of those RIGHTs and the chances of that QB becoming just another guy that didn't work out go WAY up. In the end it is all about money, but thinking long term and making the RIGHT business decisions can be the difference between making $20 million in your career or making $200 million. That's very significant. Teddy just made some decisions like that. I hope they pay off for him and us.
Well said. Those were my thoughts when he left Miami without a contract. Not every player is thinking that way. Glad we have one with good judgement. Many hop from team to team chasing cash. While they may make good money I believe they miss out on the long money. It hurts their "brand" and ability to tap into the local team market/fan base too.

Teddy signed a one year deal for a reason, either to not be stuck here if Payton leaves or not be stuck here if Brees stays. If Brees was definitely retiring, we would have seen them tie down Teddy with a longer contract.
they camt with the money tied to brees

they camt with the money tied to brees

I think we could’ve if both parties wanted to. Just like Drew’s contract his first year with us. It was 5/50...but it was really 1/10 with 4/40 as an option we picked up. I think both parties want options next season. That’s why they did the 1 year deal.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom