Saints Bridgewater's stats prorated over 16 games (1 Viewer)

jasonsw

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I looked at his stats through four starts and was pleasantly surprised.

Over a 16 game season this is what they would like.

28TD 4000YRD 8INT 98.4 RTG 69% COMP.

Not Drew Brees numbers but better than at least half the starting QBs in football.

Last edited:

28TD 4000YRD 8INT 98.4 RTG.

Not Drew Brees numbers but better than at least half the starting QBs in football.
That's about right. He is about there just into the "above average" category.

Given how hard it is to find a consistent and stable NFL level talent to play QB and run your offense, that is valuable.

He has some imperfections in seeing the field and being consistently accurate and is not on the Brees level, but almost no one is. Rare company he'd be in if he was.

Anyway, someone is going to offer him $ and give him a shot because he has proven he is better than "just a backup". If you are a balanced team like the Ravens (though they have jackson) or the 49ers and you need a QB you can win now with Teddy.

But if your defense is poor and you can't run the ball, Teddy might not help you too much.

Last edited:
That's about right. He is about there just into the "above average" category.

Given how hard it is to find a consistent and stable NFL level talent to play QB and run your offense, that is valuable.

He has some imperfections in seeing the field and being consistently accurate and is not on the Brees level, but almost no one is. Rare company he'd be in if he was.

Anyway, someone is going to offer him $ and give him a shot because he has proven he is better than "just a backup". If you are a balanced team like the Ravens (though they have jackson) or the 49ers and you need a QB you can win now with Teddy.

But if you defense is poor and you can't run the ball, Teddy might not help you too much.

That's fair. That's about an average Matt Stafford season, and I think most would agree that Matt Stafford is an above-average QB. It's also close to an average Andrew Luck season, with a few hundred less yards and 5 less interceptions. When you look at projected for 16 games and compare to historical "very good" QBs, Teddy is right there. Kinda crazy, given the general perception of him around here.

I wonder if most Saints fans would take a guarantee of Matt Stafford's performance from his third year as a pro until today for the ten years after Drew retires. I think I would. You have probably a 30% chance of doing better in the draft or free agency.

Jason, that's really interesting to see projected out like that.

28TD 4000YRD 8INT 98.4 RTG 69% COMP.

16 of those TDs would be against the Bucs. We only get to play them twice not four times.

That's fair. That's about an average Matt Stafford season, and I think most would agree that Matt Stafford is an above-average QB. It's also close to an average Andrew Luck season, with a few hundred less yards and 5 less interceptions. When you look at projected for 16 games and compare to historical "very good" QBs, Teddy is right there. Kinda crazy, given the general perception of him around here.

I wonder if most Saints fans would take a guarantee of Matt Stafford's performance from his third year as a pro until today for the ten years after Drew retires. I think I would.

Jason, that's really interesting to see projected out like that.

Stafford is way way way better than Teddy. It's not even close. Stafford would be great in our offense.

Stafford is way way way better than Teddy. It's not even close. Stafford would be great in our offense.

I think this thread and the analysis within it are a bit above your depth.

Let me offer some alternatives that suit you better:

I think the sample size is still a bit too small to do that long of a projection as a gauge. We're starting to get a better idea after more games. I'd be very surprised if he maintained at that projection and reached a Stafford or Luck level.

I think the sample size is still a bit too small to do that long of a projection as a gauge. We're starting to get a better idea after more games. I'd be very surprised if he maintained at that projection and reached a Stafford or Luck level.

I agree. But just to be contrarian, one could argue that he'd do even better than the current 1.75 TD/gm. pace with a few changes:
- A system built around him instead of Drew Brees
- More time in the offense
- A more open playbook (Tampa game) vs. what Payton has been calling (the rest)

It's definitely a bit of a reach. But it's certainly interesting to look at the pace, especially in terms of how he's perceived here vs. how he stacks up to other QBs who might be perceived differently.

I won't say since I cheated, but that is very interesting.

My first reaction was "holy ****, somebody is going to back up the money truck for Bridgewater" after I saw that, given how that dude (the comparison) is setting the market for QBs. This thread has been an emotional roller coaster for me. I've gone from "wow, when put in perspective Teddy is much better re:NFL average than we think", to "there's no way he's worth that much money" in about 5 minutes.

Those are good numbers, no doubt. Teddy is doing a fine job of what he's being asked to do, and the rest of the team has really stepped up and helped. I do think when evaluating his performance and stats, you have to remember that we have one of the best o-lines, running backs, and receivers in the league. Oh, and not to mention one of the best coaches.

Just looking at the whole picture here. This is a championship caliber roster, so it really benefits Teddy. However, I have to say he has far exceeded my expectations, and I have to give him credit for the things he's done well. He's been smart with the ball. He doesn't try to force throws, and he seems to have a pretty good understanding of the system. I honestly thought the season was done for when Brees was injured, and Teddy has done an admirable job of playing mostly mistake-free football.

The main flaws I see in Teddy are spotty accuracy at times, and occasional indecisiveness. Oh, and our red-zone offense is severely lacking. I think he can improve on those with the help of Payton. I really think he is a pretty decent QB. Maybe above average, but I think he can still improve with time and good leadership.

I say all that to say that I am more hopeful for the future of this team than I have been in the past. I think most, like me, assumed we'd fall back into the bottom dwellers of the league when Brees retires. Now I have hope that Payton can make it work with an average to slightly above average QB, so long as our defense plays well.

My first reaction was "holy ****, somebody is going to back up the money truck for Bridgewater" after I saw that, given how that dude (the comparison) is setting the market for QBs. This thread has been an emotional roller coaster for me. I've gone from "wow, when put in perspective Teddy is much better re:NFL average than we think", to "there's no way he's worth that much money" in about 5 minutes.
There's a difference between backing up the money truck and making a an offer better than 7 million to prove it and handing him the keys in a tailored offense.

If Drew is going to play another year Teddy would probably take a hard look at 10-15 million a year, which is sadly about where the market would be for a proven starter with an winning record.

He's what? 26 years old??

Still upside with the right coach/system/team.

There's a difference between backing up the money truck and making a an offer better than 7 million to prove it and handing him the keys in a tailored offense.

If Drew is going to play another year Teddy would probably take a hard look at 10-15 million a year, which is sadly about where the market would be for a proven starter with an winning record.

He's what? 26 years old??

Still upside with the right coach/system/team.

You should look up who my comparison was upthread - you might feel differently about that dollar figure.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom