Brock Olivo hired by Denver as Special Teams Coach (1 Viewer)

guillermo

Visible minority
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
To me, the best candidate for Special Teams Coach was just hired by Denver

Broncos hire Brock Olivo as special teams coach | ProFootballTalk

I am sure we will end with O'Dea, another pupil of Coach Dave Toub, but I would have liked the saints to at least interviewed him. That is what succesful organizations do when trying to be better.

Maybe that Best Bank head coach Denver has knows what he's doing.

I am sure we will end with O'Dea, another pupil of Coach Dave Toub, but I would have liked the saints to at least interviewed him. That is what succesful organizations do when trying to be better.

Why do you think he was the best candidate? Because he worked under Toub the last two seasons? I love Toub and think he's deserving of a head coaching position. But I am not sure if I can regard Olivo as the best candidate simply for working with him the past two seasons. I know that situation well and while I wish Brock success in Denver there are some people who were surprised to see him get the head job.

He may or may not be the best candidate, but I do think he deserved some consideration.

When you fire a coordinator you normally have the choice of bringing either a recently fired head coach, a coordinator that have lost his job by a change of administration, or an assistant coach that may be entitled to a promotion based on experience and learning.

Obviously the pool is bigger for offensive and defensive coordinators, not that much for special teams coaches.

The way I see it, and not having any insider's information, I presume we are going to end up with a tandem of Coach O'Dea and either Mike Mallory or Swinton. I would not mind it but I would have taken a look at Brock Olivo also.

I don't understand the level of secrecy at Airline Drive and also the decision to wait until after the Senior Bowl (as they have done in previous years) to finish the staff. You go to the Senior Bowl to learn about players, with a clear plan of the info you are searching. I think the socializing with coaches looking for a job is a waste of time and opportunity when you can do this weeks in advance.

You had two weeks before other teams started making changes at coordinator and position coaches, and we should have taken the opportunity to use this time. The staff should have been completed by now.

The point is, you always look for the opportunities to make your organization better, even if you make things uncomfortable for your staff.

We only have heard about one interview and we have 5 positions to fill.

Now, every one has an opinion, and at least I will take a strong look at who has been for 3 years the pupil of the man who is the best coach at the position we are looking to fill. If Olivo is or is not the guy, at least I would have loved to hear they interviewed him to figure it out.

I am not sure about O'Dea being the hire. I would think that if we were going to hire from within, we would have announced those promotions when we announced the firings. I might not remember correctly, but I thought that is what we did before with coaching changes that were in house.

I agree guillermo. I think we really dropped the ball on this one.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom