Broken Cell Phones.. buy new, renewed, repair? (1 Viewer)

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I was wondering what experiences you've all had with fixing a broken phone vs replacing it. New vs renewed.

Here's the story.

I usually get a pretty good life span out of my phones so I've never thought of repairing one. I usually just get a new one, and wait for a good deal. But, life (or 2020) has decided to make things a bit more difficult for me.

About a week ago, I was at work, in the lab and I put my phone on the bench top while I was lifting a small 3-5lb fixture. I dropped the fixture, and sure enough, it landed square on my phone screen. A galaxy S8. I was impressed.. it didn't crack. Just a small chip/divot. Then I turned it on and saw a decent sized black hole where the screen would't light up properly. After a few days, a small bright horizontal line started to form from that hole.. no big deal. I can work around it. Phone is still a champ.

Today. After I got home. Everything below that line is a crazy psychedelic light show and my touch screen works sometimes... it's all over the place... and most of the time that lower 75% of the phone is either 1980's tv snow or super bright white. Basically, I can't use it.

I have an appointment to get the phone looked at and a screen replacement repair. Looks like they charge $219 for it (might be a bit more).

Another option is to roll the dice on a 'renewed' phone on amazon, probably something like the S10, for around $400. Or get the S10 new for $750. I'd really rather not spend that much. I'd rather wait until Prime Day or Black Friday / Cyber Monday to find a better deal.

Has anyone had any experience with purchasing renewed phones or getting a total screen replacement? Good experiences, awful? I'm a bit hesitant to buy a renewed phone, even though they seem to be a good value, if they're working right.

This has been awhile, but

When I worked at Beat Buy, it wasn’t uncommon for a renewed phone to come back to us because it hadn’t been released from the old carrier/account. And it was a pain. And with any small electronic, it can be anywhere from 100% to the most finicky thing you’ve ever seen.

That said, if you aren’t opposed to looking for a good deal in November, I’d go for a repair/refurb now. If it sucks, at least it’s just a bridge.

And drops are so crazy. About a year ago, I had my iPhone X in my back pocket, leaned/sat in just the right way to put a little baby dot of a crack in the screen...and apparently broke the antenna.

Edit: if it’s just a screen replacement, go for it for sure though.

see if there is a location near you. I had a broken screen on my cell repaired. My wife had her Ipad repaired for far less than what a new one would have cost

see if there is a location near you. I had a broken screen on my cell repaired. My wife had her Ipad repaired for far less than what a new one would have cost
That's who I have an appointment with. They're listed as an authorized samsung repair shop.

I’ve gotten a couple of refreshed phones from Amazon. One was darn near brand new looking except for minor scratches that most people wouldn’t even notice. The other had a little scratch on the screen and the battery had around 95% capacity left. I’d do it again for the savings.

I’ve also had a few batteries and shattered screens replaced too. No bad experiences there.

While we're on the subject.. I"m also considering swapping our carriers.. the family is on metro pcs, and I'm on AT&T. T-mobile has a 4 line for $100 plan out there that would save. I think switching from Metro to T-mobile should be near seamless, since they're the same parent company. AT&T, I'll have to get them to unlock the phone, which has been paid off for over a year.I'm waaay out of contract.

Anyone use T-mobile? I'd think with the sprint merger, they might be better than the rest.

Anyone use T-mobile? I'd think with the sprint merger, they might be better than the rest.

I know it’s a bit of a cop out answer, but it depends.

Last I checked, it’s still Verizon > ATT > TSprintble for nationwide coverage. But your mileage may greatly vary based on where you are, expectations for 5G and how much you travel about. I loved Sprint when I lived in Mandeville, but it was abysmal when I moved to BR (this was like 7 years ago though). Definitely check some coverage maps and talk to anyone near you who may have the same carrier. If you are looking at 5G, check into that too.

I know it’s a bit of a cop out answer, but it depends.

Last I checked, it’s still Verizon > ATT > TSprintble for nationwide coverage. But your mileage may greatly vary based on where you are, expectations for 5G and how much you travel about. I loved Sprint when I lived in Mandeville, but it was abysmal when I moved to BR (this was like 7 years ago though). Definitely check some coverage maps and talk to anyone near you who may have the same carrier. If you are looking at 5G, check into that too.

Yep, AT&T is terrible in my area. I'm on C-spire as most people are in the area

got the "screen of death" on my 2014 galaxy s5 about six months ago

ordered a refurb s5 on amazon for $100, and it arrived in two days

swapped the sim and kept the spare batt, otter box, etc... no problemo

ymmv

When I was in Ft Lauderdale earlier this year, I had no issues with T-Mobile. My experiences with the service outside of metropolitan areas and interstates are not great. However, I don't have a 5G phone so other people may have a different experience.

I have TMobile and don’t have an issue. They have good service here and the customer service is very good IMO. I like to be able to have a chat window instead of holding on the phone so that works in their favor with me.

I have always replaced phones and always bought phones with this in mind. My last few were budget IPhones. But now I have an 11 with 256 Ram so I had to factor in that I’m now in the fix it group before the purchase. Thankfully I’m pretty good with them but if it happens I’ll just fork it over.

I have patronized the local branch and was satisfied.

While we're on the subject.. I"m also considering swapping our carriers.. the family is on metro pcs, and I'm on AT&T. T-mobile has a 4 line for $100 plan out there that would save. I think switching from Metro to T-mobile should be near seamless, since they're the same parent company. AT&T, I'll have to get them to unlock the phone, which has been paid off for over a year.I'm waaay out of contract.

i just switched from Sprint to T-Mobile...Sprint is awful in the Nola metro area, especially in Kenner and Metairie...T-Mobile here is basically like being connected to wifi at all times...it's absurdly better for whatever reason...i will say that Sprint worked really well in some places but not here

also, T-Mobile was the best deal i could get for 3 lines so it was an easy choice

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom